User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Towards Zacatecas on an Airhead

Leaving Los Angeles in the morning for a three week ride in the Sierra Madre Occidental Mountains of Mexico.

Fresh fluids, filters and tires at Valdi's Motozone in Torrance

ricard screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 03:40 PM
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Los Angeles to Sierra Vista Arizona

582 miles through the desert north of the border wall. 105 degree heat. Gas stations in Arizona offer cool-down areas.

In Tuscson darkening skies turned into a dust storm which turned ino a thunder storm.

On the map something like this, in yellow.

ricard screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 05:19 PM
Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
MufflerBearings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
. I'm really looking forward to this. I thoroughly enjoyed your last Mexico ride report. Your reports encourage me to venture out far from home on my elderly K75.

A KLR RIDES (to) THE BAJA 500 (to spectate)! - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893347
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
b4thenite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
cool. ride on!
b4thenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Old 07-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sierra Vista to Banamichi

I crossed the border in Naco Arizona. An extremely laid-back experience. I was the only vehicle, chatted with the customs guy and was able to watch part of a Power Rangers episode while sitting in the office where my tourist visa was typed up. I didn't even have to fill out the forms or move from my comfortable air-conditioned spot. The road winds through the hills on the way to Banamichi. The occasional light rain shower kept me cool and released good smells from the dusty landscape.

Adios Arizona

Hello Mexico

Arrived at the beautiful Los Arcos hotel in Banamichi. Had a great time relaxing in the courtyard, listening to the light rain, drinking Bacanora, and talking with Lynn and Tom "Turkey Creek" and Roy "RW66"

On the map something like this, in green

ricard screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 05:21 PM
Old 07-07-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
ficoszac
y...ahora???

Oddometer: 164
Wicked

hi amigo i am federico, i am in Alaska now, hope to see in Zacatecas soon........
ficoszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoszac View Post
hi amigo i am federico, i am in Alaska now, hope to see in Zacatecas soon........
Hey Federico, Roy "RW66" and I were just talking about you and Jose. I'll probably be in Zacatecas on Sunday. Sorry I'll miss you. Hope to see you again. - Watch out for the brown bears.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Banamichi to Sahuaripa

Monday, July 7th.

After a delicious breakfast at Los Arcos, Tom drove me out to see his friend Stevan De La Rosa. Stevan has a small farm just outside of Banamichi, on which he has hand built an incredible little adobe house. Completely sustainable and "off the grid". He gets his water from a small canal, everything else is supplied by the sun or the earth. He has become an expert in traditional construction.

Back at Los Arcos Tom showed me the famous Vespa Totem and El Dragon.

The road from Banamichi to Sahuaripa is dramatic, twisty, has lots of potholes, a few minor rock slides and water crossings. Highly enjoyable.

Sahuaripa is small and quiet. I wasn't planning to stay, but while looking for the Pemex I passed Hotel Casa Grande. I guess I'll sit and watch the lizards a wait for the rain to start.

Short ride along some of these roads, in yellow
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #10
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sahuaripa to Basaseachic

Tuesday July 8th - The road to Yecora and one bent spoke.

Maybe the ranchers I asked directed me along the shortcut to Yecora through the mountains. The California Auto Club Map, I've trusted as a friend, showed a thin but deep black line, promissing pavement. The pavement thus far had been pretty sketchy, but after a shallow river crossing south of Sahuaripa it turned to dirt. The road was graded and the scenery spectacular and I was hoping the rain would wait for a while.

Past Yecora the road returned to smooth black pavement. Which quickly deteriorated. I missed 99.9% of the pot holes but hit one hard. At Basaseachic the sky was turning black and the Pemex was out of gas. I pulled into "Hotel Cabanas Y Restaurant de la Sierra" (Thanks Sjoerd) for a room and an early diner just as the sky opened up with torrential rain.

Shallow water crossing

The road to Yecora

South of Yecora, back on pavement.

Cabanas Y Restaurante de la Sierra, Basaseachic

Along this green line, but not really

ricard screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 09:32 PM
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Basaseachic to Creel

Wednesday, July 9th

In the morning the pine forests of Basaseachic were shrouded in mist as the silver miners raced to work, creating new pot holes. I climbed higher on the twisty road dodging rocks washed off the hills by yesterdays rain. Avoiding damp cows with their calves guarded by big bulls threatening to charge.

The road to Creel

I arrived in Creel after only a few hours ride. While lost, in this tiny town, I stopped at "La Troje de adobe" cafe and hostal to ask directions. They suggested I stay, so I did. Angelico an Memo are the owners and builders of the beautiful adobe building.

"La Troje de adobe"

Watching the World Cup with Angelico and Memo

The train arriving in Creel, from my window

Memo playing in the cafe

A short ride along this yellow line
Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,002
Nice fotos. Sorry about the spoke. It looks like maybe you too the fork to the left at Guisanopa. It looks like the dirt is better than the pavement in places.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Nice fotos. Sorry about the spoke. It looks like maybe you too the fork to the left at Guisanopa. It looks like the dirt is better than the pavement in places.
The scenery was spectacular and I didn't crash crossing the river near Yecora, that road was a fortuitous mistake. The wheel still seems true, so I'm not worrying about the spoke.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
The scenery was spectacular and I didn't crash crossing the river near Yecora, that road was a fortuitous mistake. The wheel still seems true, so I'm not worrying about the spoke.

Way to go Richard!!!!
I got to the dirt road and turned around and took one that was mostly paved. The dirt was wet and I did not want drop the bike and be there by myself and not able to get it up again. You did a great job.
I believe I made it to the same cabins you stayed at by the falls, but I was there Mon night...
I'll have to say that I got so tired of dodging rocks and stuff in the highway that I changed my GPS to home and I was home Tues night. However I have the advantage of taking the copper canyon rout just about anytime.....
You are doing a great job.
Ride safe

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Creel

Thursday July 10th

Woke up at the hostal La Troje de Adobe as the sun was breaking through the mist. Angelico and Memo made a delicious breakfast. Awake and fortified I headed out into the countryside.

The ancient Jesuit church of San Ignacio. Beautifully severe standing for hundreds of years between the sky and earth.

Passing the farms and log houses of the indigenous Tarahumara, I headed up into the mountains towards "Baronca Cobre", Copper Canyon. I had a brief impromptu celebration on the side of the road as the bike turned over 100,000 miles.

Notice the GPS insisting that I am off the map, no roads at all.

Keep On Truckin'

It rolled to all zeros as I arrived at Copper Canyon, accompanied by great claps of thunder applauding, I dove for cover under a tin roof.

Copper Canyon in the rain

Returning to Creel, Memo the hostal owner, helped me find an electrical shop to solder a brake light wire that had come loose on "the road to Yecora".

Downtown Creel

ricard screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 08:38 PM