Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #61
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Richard
How are you doing. I have not see a post in a couple of days.
Thanks for the note. I have not had an internet connection for the last few days.
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #62
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Thanks for the note. I have not had an internet connection for the last few days.
Glad to see you post again.
Hope you enjoyed the route....I think it is much better than the flat lands going through Chihuahua.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #63
Uke
visualist

Oddometer: 135
fairing performance?

Not to hijack your RR (not too much, I hope), how do you like the Rifle fairing, particularly in rain and/or at highway speeds? Does it have any adverse effects on handling? Reduce fatigue on day-long rides?

Thanks in advance and back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Very cool RR, BTW, I've been subscribed since the bottom of page one!

Quote:
Uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #64
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uke View Post
Not to hijack your RR (not too much, I hope), how do you like the Rifle fairing, particularly in rain and/or at highway speeds? Does it have any adverse effects on handling? Reduce fatigue on day-long rides?

Thanks in advance and back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Very cool RR, BTW, I've been subscribed since the bottom of page one!
The Rifle fairing works great. It is light weight, does not adversly affect handling in any way, and greatly reduces fatigue over 60 mph. And, it deflects the really big bugs from striking you on the neck. Rocks thrown up by trucks have cracked three windshields and one headlight protector over the years. I usually take it off for a while in the spring because I prefer the look of the naked bike. After a couple of weeks and a couple of freeway rides I miss it so much it goes right back on.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #65
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
You rode Hwy 2 from Cananea to Imuris? The road of death? I love that road except for the truck traffic, trucks that are often in my lane. I have seen several big rigs rolled on their sides and one on fire. Did you visit Father Kino?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #66
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Magdalena to Mexicalli

Thursday July 24th

A series of sprints between Oasis. The road through the Altair desert, north of the Sea of Cortez, is flanked by steep dry mountains to the north and sand to the south. At every Pemex I stop, a few liters of gas for the bike and a few liters of liquid for me. The longest stretch, from Sonoyta to San Luis Rio Colorado, is about 130 miles without a gas station oasis. When I reach Mexicalli it is 116 degrees. In Mexico you can walk into a hotel or restaurant looking like Harry Dean Stanton in "Paris Texas" and everyone just smiles.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #67
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
You rode Hwy 2 from Cananea to Imuris? The road of death? I love that road except for the truck traffic, trucks that are often in my lane. I have seen several big rigs rolled on their sides and one on fire. Did you visit Father Kino?
There was some truck slaloming going on, and at one point a semi was slowly passing another taking the entire road. But I could see it comming and had room to pull to the side of the road. It wasn't bad and the curvy road through the dry desert hills was great. I paid my respects to Father Kino's skeleton in Magdalena and canceled my temporary vehicle import permit near Pitiquito.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #68
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
It was great to meet you and have you at the hotel along with RW66. Enjoyed following along with you and seeing your great photos . Hope to meet up again soon.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #69
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Thursday July 24th

A series of sprints between Oasis. The road through the Altair desert, north of the Sea of Cortez, is flanked by steep dry mountains to the north and sand to the south. At every Pemex I stop, a few liters of gas for the bike and a few liters of liquid for me. The longest stretch, from Sonoyta to San Luis Rio Colorado, is about 130 miles without a gas station oasis. When I reach Mexicalli it is 116 degrees. In Mexico you can walk into a hotel or restaurant looking like Harry Dean Stanton in "Paris Texas" and everyone just smiles.

Glad to see you are still making tracks.
I took that road a couple of years ago...must have been Nov 20, every town was having a parade.
There was a section where you look out across the desert and it was like a cactus forest. Great vistas.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #70
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Nice RR.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #71
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Just picked up this thread. I like that fairing you've got on your bike. Is that a Rifle? I may still go with one of those on my '89GS. How do you like it?
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #72
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Just picked up this thread. I like that fairing you've got on your bike. Is that a Rifle? I may still go with one of those on my '89GS. How do you like it?
Quote:
The Rifle fairing works great. It is light weight, does not adversly affect handling in any way, and greatly reduces fatigue over 60 mph. And, it deflects the really big bugs from striking you on the neck. Rocks thrown up by trucks have cracked three windshields and one headlight protector over the years. I usually take it off for a while in the spring because I prefer the look of the naked bike. After a couple of weeks and a couple of freeway rides I miss it so much it goes right back on.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #73
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 131
What a great RR. The combination of the analog airhead with the analog maps work perfectly together. Reports like this are one of the great things about this place. Thanks for sharing.