ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
1190ADV OP
Adventurer
 
1190ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Oddometer: 20
1190 Adventure pop under braking

I purchased my first brand new bike monday, a 2014 1190 adventure. Since day one I have had an issue with a pop under braking, and eventually led to popping/ rattling on rough roads. The bike currently only has 300 miles on it and literally been doing it since about 100 miles in. Was going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but didn't feel like riding 1.5 hours to possibly leave my new bike for who knows how long while they figure it out. So I decided to try a few simple things first. Based off a suggestion on ktm forum I removed my upper triple to check and tighten the upper head bearing nut. It wasn't difficult, just annoying that I had to pull apart my bike with only 300 miles on it. Before re-torque I was able to get it to pop by pushing down hard enough on the front forks sitting still with the brake applied, and then it would pop again when I pull back on the handle bars. After applying a little torque it no longer pops sitting still regardless of how hard I push on it. I have not taken to for a test ride yet to confirm, but I think i have resolved it. Here is a pick also of what i did to get to it. The part I tightened is the one on top with two holes in it. I just used a allen wrench for leverage to add a bit of torque.
1190ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Sparc145
'14 1190 ADV
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: Washington
Oddometer: 68
This is fairly common. It's usually the aluminum nut on top of the triple that is no longer torqued to spec.

Sometimes it's also the steering stem nut under the top triple but, not as common.
Sparc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
1190ADV OP
Adventurer
 
1190ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc145 View Post
This is fairly common. It's usually the aluminum nut on top of the triple that is no longer torqued to spec.

Sometimes it's also the steering stem nut under the top triple but, not as common.
The top nut seemed to be torqued fine, it was the aluminum one under the triple that needed attention. I didn't expect something like that this soon.
1190ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bluesilver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1190ADV View Post
I purchased my first brand new bike monday, a 2014 1190 adventure. Since day one I have had an issue with a pop under braking, and eventually led to popping/ rattling on rough roads. The bike currently only has 300 miles on it and literally been doing it since about 100 miles in. Was going to take it to the dealer tomorrow but didn't feel like riding 1.5 hours to possibly leave my new bike for who knows how long while they figure it out. So I decided to try a few simple things first. Based off a suggestion on ktm forum I removed my upper triple to check and tighten the upper head bearing nut. It wasn't difficult, just annoying that I had to pull apart my bike with only 300 miles on it. Before re-torque I was able to get it to pop by pushing down hard enough on the front forks sitting still with the brake applied, and then it would pop again when I pull back on the handle bars. After applying a little torque it no longer pops sitting still regardless of how hard I push on it. I have not taken to for a test ride yet to confirm, but I think i have resolved it. Here is a pick also of what i did to get to it. The part I tightened is the one on top with two holes in it. I just used a allen wrench for leverage to add a bit of torque.

Just commented on the 1190 problem thread as this was solved awhile ago, thread lock the nut then torque down.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
JHpowderhound
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 44
I've got an appointment for the dealership to tighten it next week when they will be putting my TKC's on. I noticed it was loose last week when I was playing around with hard braking coming to a stop, klunk.
JHpowderhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Barekat
Looking to get dirty
 
Barekat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 160
So I assume this is a non-issue if aftermarket risers are installed?? ... or am I looking at the wrong part (i.e. bar mounts)
__________________
2005 750 Kat Custom bar risers w/SV1000 bars, A'ME Heated Grips, Givi PL533, Givi E36NJ, Chopped shovel, modded windscreen with chopped Lockhart Phillips Euro Speed Screen, CyberPoet's mirror extenders, FP 5 Degree Advancer, Ballistic 12 Cell EVO2 battery, Fumoto F-111
Barekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
1190ADV OP
Adventurer
 
1190ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barekat View Post
So I assume this is a non-issue if aftermarket risers are installed?? ... or am I looking at the wrong part (i.e. bar mounts)
No it's not an issue with the triple clamp or bar clamps. It's an issue with steering head nut under the triple clamp not having adequate torque.
1190ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Knackers
Polishing Turds
 
Knackers's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Drinking Vic, Qld & NSW Sewerage, Adelaide SA
Oddometer: 4,771
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992043

I rest my case
__________________
How the hell did you get all this together?

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
Bluesilver
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bluesilver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1190ADV View Post
No it's not an issue with the triple clamp or bar clamps. It's an issue with steering head nut under the triple clamp not having adequate torque.
Almost, not the torque, I've had mine "torqued" a few times by KTM and had the bearing replace, all failed, keeps on coming lose.

Problem is the crap design and most dealers know this now. The nut works itself lose until it runs into the top yoke then you just have a knocking steering, not a problem for KTM they say. I did 1200km like this when mine failed on tour with the wife yet again...so I was REALLY pissed at KTM after they "fixed" it, again.

You need to LOCK that nut in place and thread lock does this.

This is what has worked for my bike and what the KTM dealer HERE is doing.
Bluesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014