ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
mase088 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
KTM 950 New Cans/Jetting Question

Hey everybody! I recently installed a couple Leo Vince Cans (baffles removed) on the stock mid pipe of my 07 950 SM using a couple of adapters. I also performed the SAS removal and Cannisterectomy after that. I knew after doing so I would need some carb adjustment, but wanted to give it a ride to see exactly it was riding like without any carb adjustment.

Now that I have done that, I come to you with questions. The bike is pulling a little softer down low, and feels very flat up high. It does not pop on decel that I can hear anyway I have read all sorts of suggestions ranging from "just raise the needle a clip" to re jetting and new air filters, airbox modding, etc etc.

Does anyone have some specific advice for me to follow? I really want to get the best performance I can out of this bike.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
mase088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"

Oddometer: 3,278
A lot depends on where you live and the elevation. What works at sea level will not work at all in the Colorado mountains.

Unrestricting the exhaust makes the bike breath better. Freeing up the intake has the same effect. If you are thinking about going to a foam filter and taking the carbs out of that box, then I encourage you go do down that path. It makes maintenance much easier, and it certainly increases horsepower somewhat by taking that box restriction off of the carbs.

My bike is a June '04 build 950 ADV. I have Gualdi exhaust, which is an improvement over stock but not as derestricted as the Leo Vince. I have the foam ITG filter and a CPR red filter over that. My elevation is 900' above sea level. My carb settings are basically:

Air jets: All stock
Idle jets: Stock 42s. I tried 45s, and I was stupidly rich at idle.
Main Jets: 172/178 (needed with the foam filters, trust me).
Float height: 4mm (1mm more lean than the stock 3mm).
Needle: Middle position (Factory Pro needles).
IMS screws: I run FlexJet2s so that I can adjust on the fly. About 2 turns out, but it varies with the season and elevation.

With these settings, I think my bike would run adequately anywhere. I've had it up to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado, and I've had it as low as 300' ASL. Everything worked just fine. The only thing I have to do is adjust the FlexJets when I have large elevation changes. With this setup, I can loft the front at a light with throttle only. The bike could be jetted up a bit more to get a little more power out of it, but it's not necessary for me. I'm happy where it is, and I know I can make it over passes in Colorado.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
mase088 OP
Adventurer

Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure that I want to go with the CPR filter just yet. For $300 I may wait a bit. Anyone have carb settings with the stock filter? I'm not opposed to removing the snorkel for some of the H2W kits, but I think I might to wait on rottweiler systems for now.

As for elevation where I live I am anywhere from 600-1600 feet of elevation depending on which direction I drive for the day.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
Orangecicle
On a "Quest"

Oddometer: 3,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase088 View Post
Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not sure that I want to go with the CPR filter just yet. For $300 I may wait a bit. Anyone have carb settings with the stock filter? I'm not opposed to removing the snorkel for some of the H2W kits, but I think I might to wait on rottweiler systems for now.

As for elevation where I live I am anywhere from 600-1600 feet of elevation depending on which direction I drive for the day.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

The ITG foam filter is very comparable to the CPR, but a lot less money.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mase088 View Post
Hey everybody! I recently installed a couple Leo Vince Cans (baffles removed) on the stock mid pipe of my 07 950 SM using a couple of adapters. I also performed the SAS removal and Cannisterectomy after that. I knew after doing so I would need some carb adjustment, but wanted to give it a ride to see exactly it was riding like without any carb adjustment.

Now that I have done that, I come to you with questions. The bike is pulling a little softer down low, and feels very flat up high. It does not pop on decel that I can hear anyway I have read all sorts of suggestions ranging from "just raise the needle a clip" to re jetting and new air filters, airbox modding, etc etc.

Does anyone have some specific advice for me to follow? I really want to get the best performance I can out of this bike.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
I would raise the needles to 3rd, install db killers and leave all else stock. Without db killers, you will only know what mains to use if you get yourself an afr gauge and tune on the road at your elevation.

Alternatively, search for x-bikes jetting, basically Chris a tuner from uk removed the snorkel and the side airbox triangles, put a dna filter in and jetted accordingly (I think he used 170/175 mains, needles on 3rd and 45 pilots). Allegedly, this is the best you can do on a stock airbox and yields results very similar if not identical to the ITG/CPR filters.

From my personal experience with jetting the 950, it is not possible to be fully satisfied when you use stock airbox (ie snorkel in place) and open exhausts. You either have to remove the snorkel or install baffles. But that's me of course....
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
mase088 OP
Adventurer

Would adjusting the needles and installing the baffles help out the flat spot towards the top of a gear? Or is that only going to be accomplished by rejetting?