ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
maloryII OP
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
Word to the wise - NAPA Carter fuel pump

Stocker gave up the ghost at 18k miles and I decided to go with an alternative solid-state pumperoony.

Facet is popular, but NAPA had the Carter P74021, detailed here on the HOW in stock locally, so for $50 instead of $160 for the OEM I gave it a shot.

I wasn't as lucky as Leadvegas (the article's author) in terms of psi performance. This pump is much too strong, blasting fuel into and out of my carb bowls, leaking out the overflow hose and on to the ground. Stock psi is 2.2, apparently, and the Carter is rated 3.0-5.5. I was naive to not do my own homework and assume because it was on the HOW I'd have no issues.

I'm picking up a 1-9 psi inline (mechanical) fuel regulator. Should solve my problems.

The pump comes with a good reputation, just make sure you get the psi regulator along with it.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
Keep us updated, maybe pictures!
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloryII View Post
... Stock psi is 2.2, apparently, and the Carter is rated 3.0-5.5. I was naive to not do my own homework and assume because it was on the HOW I'd have no issues.

Per the HOW:
ridewestKTM: Stock pump pressurizes to 2.2 psi at carbs. It draws 1 amp when running (shuts off when fuel pressure is up). It pumps 23.4 liter/hr. It's 1.875" in diameter and 3.36" long. Has a vent to the point case (apparently). Brown wire is ground and dark wire is positive.
One other thing, the stock pump doesn't flow thru via gravity - it takes about 1/2psi to push gas thru it.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html

It really is about a 3 psi and loses about 1/2 psi by the time it gets to the Carbs.

If you get a Facet 40171, you won't need a pressure regulator.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,320
Dont need a pressure regulator with a Mikuni DFS21 Vacuum pump either. and its one less load on the electrical system. Leaves more power available for lights and heated gear
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
maloryII OP
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,687
I only chose the Carter because it's a plug-and-play into the stock fuel pump harness and the local NAPA place had it in stock.

The Facet probably would have been a better choice. And I may switch yet depending on how much more troubleshooting is required.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Dont need a pressure regulator with a Mikuni DFS21 Vacuum pump either. and its one less load on the electrical system. Leaves more power available for lights and heated gear
Who sells this?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
I didn't say that - yes watch flow thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
Per the HOW:
ridewestKTM: Stock pump pressurizes to 2.2 psi at carbs. It draws 1 amp when running (shuts off when fuel pressure is up). It pumps 23.4 liter/hr. It's 1.875" in diameter and 3.36" long. Has a vent to the point case (apparently). Brown wire is ground and dark wire is positive.
One other thing, the stock pump doesn't flow thru via gravity - it takes about 1/2psi to push gas thru it.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html

It really is about a 3 psi and loses about 1/2 psi by the time it gets to the Carbs.

If you get a Facet 40171, you won't need a pressure regulator.
Stock pump can get to 4 psi -don't know where the 2.2 came from. Also the stock pump is more like 6 amps when running. Aftermarket pumps are like 2 amps
The flow thru at 1/2psi is close, could be slightly more, the pressure regulator if you used it should also stop free flow. This is a must unless you shut off your fuel when parked.

ridewestKTM screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 06:40 AM
ridewestKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
The electrical load of the electrical pump is minor. And tho it works off of intake vacuum (it shouldn't but does) connecting to the crankcase breather is the better idea and seems to work too. IMO
Old 09-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,791
Vacuum pump

Doesn't it need more effort to start the engine, since it needs more revs to push the fuel to the carbs? Isn't this a hazard for the battery?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Doesn't it need more effort to start the engine, since it needs more revs to push the fuel to the carbs? Isn't this a hazard for the battery?
If you run the carbs dry then yes. (I have twice) but the bike starts right up in normal circumstances. I ordered mine from a motorcycle shop. Under $40, two trips to the autoparts place for hose fittings (needed a T fitting) and 12,000 Miles with no issues. I have ridden some harsh terrain too. I just shut my petcock off at night.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

I just installed the Facet pump. It was either this or vacum. I cant see installing the bean kit. where as the kit is nice it cost as much as a facet and uses the original unsealed pump. mine was destroyed from multiple creek crossing and such. The vent tube had water in it and the contact were totally corroded. How would the bean kit prevent that from happening?
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
gefr
Life is a trip

OEM vent hose

Well there is no need for a vent hose so you could seal the pump completely.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Quote:
Well there is no need for a vent hose so you could seal the pump completely.
I am just wondering though, the bean kit cost 50 and the facet 48? Why put the kit on an old pump if you could get a sealed unit for less?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
gefr
Life is a trip

Because there is some plumbering involved

Installing a Facet there is some plumbering involved which took me more than 3 atempts to tidy up properly. There is a new arrangement for supporting the pump also needed and a fuel filter needs to be installed. And lastly the Facet is a continuous running pump while the original stops when pressure builds up in the fuel lines (not that important but feels proper IMO).
Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 10-07-2011 at 02:02 AM
Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,922
Quote:
I shut the petcocks off and sometimes leave the bike sit for a week or more and the carbs dry out. Once that happens it's really hard to start the bike and I've had to boost it from my truck twice after fully draining it to get it going.

So, IMHO it's very hard on the battery.

I'm going back to stock with the modified electronic points