User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,873
Rear Brake Master Cylinder Piston Retaining Clip

So there's not much reference to this little part, but I found a post where someone else popped their rear brake master cylinder piston retaining clip out on a ride, like I did not long ago on my 950 Adventure (see below). The only way I could get the clip from KTM was to order the whole actuator rod from an early model 950 Adventure, to the tune of ~$25. For some reason the parts fiches on the newer models with the newer actuating rod don't even contain the clip (and neither does the package if you order it ). The clip also doesn't come in the master cylinder rebuild kit with a new master cylinder piston.

Anyway, I finally found and verified a replacement that is the exact dimensions of the stock part from a clip supplier. I was thinking of ordering some to have a couple of spares and was wondering if there is any other interest in case the minimum order is 1000 clips or something. Let me know. This clip is used on all the 950/990 Adventures and the Super Enduro. It is probably also used on other KTM twins that use the same rear brake master cylinder too.

Some combination of heat, maybe some water or air, and maybe a slight overfill of the brake fluid forced the master cylinder piston down and did what you see below to my rear master cylinder piston retaining clip on a long downhill, riding 2-up. Others have had the same failure when the old, ball-style actuating rod pulls out of the master cylinder if the brake lever is forced in an upward direction in a wreck.
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Has the recall, TB0749, for the rear brake been performed on your bike? It was to prevent air from getting in the fluid and causing brake loss. Just curious.

And later models do not have the clip holding the push rod in.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I talked to a dealer who said based on the VIN, the bike didn't need the recall done.

Are you sure about later models not having the clip? I looked at a 990 that has it and my Super Enduro has it. They don't use it to hold the push rod in anymore, but it is still used to hold the master cylinder piston in.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Simland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick
I talked to a dealer who said based on the VIN, the bike didn't need the recall done.

Are you sure about later models not having the clip? I looked at a 990 that has it and my Super Enduro has it. They don't use it to hold the push rod in anymore, but it is still used to hold the master cylinder piston in.
Later models dont have the rod between foot pedal and piston fixed together by the clips.

Upgrade your rear brake system to later models by ordering:

- a new clip (not avalaible separately by KTM, very common in every workshop)
- 63013056044 PUSH ROD CPL. 06
- 58413048000 BRAKE LEVER STOP LC4 03 1
- 0991060203 FLAT H.SCREW DIN7991-M6X20 8.8 1
- 0797060003 TOOTH LOCK WASH. DIN6797-A 6,4 1

(need to drill a 5mm hole into the frame 1 cms up your brake pedal and tap a thread M6 into the frame, act as a brake pedal stop, turn it to set the pedal height)

Hassle free system for few dollars and 1/2 hour of work.....

.....but you still need a clip to hold piston in his place

Simland screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 09:36 AM
Simland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

That's what I did. My bike now has the LC4 type brake lever stop and the new style rod. The new style rod kit doesn't come with the clip to hold the piston in place. The piston kit doesn't come with it either. I ended up ordering the old style rod (~$25) to get the clip because that was the only way I could get a good new one at the time. I even tried a regular spring clip, but it didn't have the width to hold the piston back correctly. I found a source for the clip by itself so people don't have to order the $25 old style rod kit if their clip gets damaged. Maybe it is not enough of a problem to worry about.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
dualsportrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Retainer Clip

Yardstick,
Where can I get some extra clips, mine has the same problem.
'94 XR600...Gone
Orange is Faster
dualsportrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Those clips are impossible (or very close to impossible) to find in any store or online supplier. I found them through Rotorclip.com. Here's a PDF of the clip type you need. I don't recall the exact size but it is pretty obvious once you measure the old clip or the diameter of the master cylinder housing. Remember the groove is going to be slightly larger diameter than the housing itself.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 908
I have a 04 ADV and have the old style ball joint rod. Never had any issue until last week when I crashed and the break leaver was pushed upward.

Its now touching the clutch cover, not at its tip but at the elbow part. I am not sure if it is bent or what. It looks good.

I took it apart and noticed the bloody clip you are talking about here is broken.

What does this clip do?

How the old style break levers were supposed to stop and not touch the engine case!? The spring pulls the lever up until it touches the case.