Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #31
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Awesome RR.I did a loop of northern Nevada last year.I rode down the east slope of Mt.Ophir.With the loose rock it seemed like there were sections that I couldnt get my bike slowed down because it was hopping on the loose rocks.Kind of scary while riding alone.I missed the hot springs after checking out Diana's Punch Bowl.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
You were the 650 Honda rider posting in last year's ride? (Stay tuned for more)
Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #33
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Day Three

Damn it. Work always gets in the way of a timely ride report. Where were we? Oh, yeah. DAY THREE. A day of MUCH ADVENTURE!!!!

Here is a snapshot of our intended route -- a mix of new stuff and some "best of" sections from other rides. We would not adhere to this plan for long:

During our evening around the fire, we discovered that Ikes Canyon was actually the beginning of one of my alternate routes through the mountains, so we decided to continue on up the canyon on our way north towards Austin. In the Benchmark guide, this road is called the "Old Freight Route". Not sure I would be taking any freight this direction!

All packed up.

The route up the canyon is spectacular, in fact this is now on my list of all time favorites. Awesome scenery, some challenging climbs, and a long run a long the ridge line with views down into the valleys on either side.

As the elevation climbed, we were soon in stands of Aspen.

We then started climbing a series of switchbacks, offering a view into the valley we had just come up:

We started to get concerned about the altitude, as we were now at about 9600', and we had encountered snow drifts on Ophir the day before just below 10,000'. And...sure enough...another blocking snow drift!

While there was no way around this one up or down, it was small and we decided to carve a way through. Don begins to dig:

Greg and Dano really got into it:

While they all dug, I walked around and took pictures of stuff :) :

After about 30 minutes, we had carved a nice trench in the snow and were ready to walk the bikes across. Don first:

I could tell by the look in Danny's eye that he was not going to be content with simply paddling his bike through while we all helped push. He attempted a full power run:

It didnít work:

We resumed a more conservative approach and got all of us up and over.

Last bike:

Freedom from snow and the summit now in sight. From there we dropped down into an area called Stoneberger basin:

I seem to be somewhat immune to downhills, or am just have a bad memory (I didnít recall Jefferson pass as being bad). Most of the crew thought this was a real scare -- steep, silty, with a huge rut in the middle. We were concerned we would not be able to climb back out if turned around by snow again. Keep that thought it mind. It will come into play later that morning!

Don on the last part of the hill. This is with a 400mm telephoto. Itís a steep sucker.

Being in the lead means sitting around a lot. So I took pictures of some of the vegetation in the basin. Cool stuff:

After a series of steep accents, we crested and started to ride along the ridgeline north. I stopped and waited again, taking just a few pictures of the scenes from the top:

Don was behind me and we sat for quite a while taking in the view waiting for the others to catch up. Nothing. Wait some more. Nothing. Finally, we turned on our radios and Don headed back south while I waited some more.

Finally I got the call from Don. Change in plansÖ.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #34
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

We're down to the last 5000 critter pics. Is this a long thread?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #35
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

Day Three continued

Don's radio call back to me was two words: "BROKEN WRIST". NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I back tracked about a mile or so along the ride and met up with the rest of the group. Strangely, no one was on the ground, writhing in pain. Everyone was calmly walking around and talking. Were they screwing with me?

Nope. Dano's wrist was clearly broken (doesn't take much of a rocket scientist to see when things are THAT badly out of whack. But he was already splinted up and the consensus was we needed to get Dano out of the mountains quickly. So...off we went with Dano riding his 610 with his right wrist severely broken.

Given the crazy up, down and snow we had come through, we decided to plow ahead into uncharted territory. The route would follow the ridge, then drop down a bit, climb back up, run the ridge and so on. Fortunately, the ups and downs were not as difficult as the first part and Dano was able to continue to ride on his own (although he did confide in me that he felt like vomiting most of the time).

Dano broke his wrist about 10 mile into the Freight loop, at about 9600'. It took us about an hour to go the next 12 miles to the gravel road that leads to Austin. Twisting the throttle gingerly with a broke wrist and using only a rear brake, he was able to make it out. Although at that point we still had 30 miles of gravel and hwy 50 to get into Austin...which is still no where.

So...when we made it to Hwy 50, we stopped and regrouped. We had one rider (Marc) who had dropped out of the group the day before due to some suspension problems with his bike. So as the group started toward Austin on Hwy 50, I stayed behind and called Marc.

As it turns out, he had a hotel room in Austin and was just about ready to check out. Perfect place to park Dano until we figured out a next step. I told Marc to hold the room, jumped on my 610 and burned down Hwy 50 to catch up to the group, now several miles ahead of me.

With no speed limit signs, I wound out the 610 trying to catch up. Hwy 50 is America's Loneliest Highway, right? And this is Nevada, the home of no laws, right? Apparently not. As I rounded the first turn close to Austin (you have to go up and over a range of hills to hit Austin), I saw two things: a) our group of riders stopped way ahead in the distance, and b) a Nevada state trooper in the foreground, already flipping on his lights to come after me. Great.

So for some reason, rather than continuing on to where the group had pulled over, I stopped short and started talking to the trooper. He got out of his cruiser, came up to me and immediately let me know that he clocked me at 70 in a 55 zone (I was surprised it wasnít a lot more). I politely stopped him, and pleaded my case -- I'm with the group ahead, was trying to catch up as I had information on where to take our injured rider. He switched gears immediately, dropped the speeding infraction dialog, and the two of us pulled forward a few hundred yards to going the group on the side of the road.

Getting the full low down on Dano's arm, he got back in his car and started making calls. Coming back to us, he had bad news and good news. Bad news -- no paramedic or emergency services in Austin, NV. The clinic had closed after both the paramedics quit. The good news was that the nearest full service hospital was in Battle Mountain, 100 miles to the north. Good news was that we had staged out of Battle Mountain and had our vehicles parked there.

So...after helping us figure out a next step, he graciously posed for the below picture. Great guy and great service...and no ticket!

After departing from our discussion with the trooper, we continued on to the room Marc had kept at the Austin motel (if you could call it that -- it was a subdivided single wide):

Then came the slog. With Dano resting comfortably in the hotel room, we had to figure out how to get everyone back to Battle Mountain. We decided to take the most street worthy bikes north, leaving the KTM 350 and 450 with Marc and Dano. So...leg one -- 100 miles of pavement on dual sport bikes from Austin to Battle Mountain.

Then, leg two -- Greg and I jumped in his truck/trailer and drove the 100 miles back to Austin.

Then, leg three -- Greg, Marc, Dano and I drove ourselves and the bikes back to Battle Mountain. Ug.

We finally arrived at the hospital in Battle Mountain about 8pm, IIRC. They x-rayed Dano's arm and...yep...it was broken (duh). But...they couldnít set it. So...they splinted him up, gave him the x-ray and some pain pills and sent him on his way.

The final resolution for Dano and the group was for Marc to drop out of the trip, drive Dano to Reno, where he would catch a flight home, then Marc continued on back to his home in Medford. More on the outcome of Dano's injury a little later.

So...as day three came to a close, we were trying to determine how to resume the trip with two less riders and a re-starting point back where we had started.

As a riding buddy says, "The adventure begins when things donít go as planned"!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 07-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #36
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Starting the day at the mouth of Ike's Canyon

Snow digging

Mark at the top of the pass after the snow trail.

It was great trail.

Not much you can do with a break and no splints. Did have a 4" roll of the sticky gauze to help stabilize the joint. Only wrapped it for rider comfort. By that time you get the after effect of released adrenaline causing nausea. Add in swelling from tissue damage at the break. Don't know how he rode the 610 down a jeep side hill. Danny had excellent trailside manner.

Our side of the Cascades- Mark would have been in chains.

Austin hotel let us stay in the room most the day getting set for Battle Mountain shuttle.

We were lucky. Dano self-rescued to Austin. Marc did us a favor by getting him to Reno for a flight home. Four of us continued on the northern loop.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #37
dan-oh
Old Noob

Oddometer: 21
Yes that was a long day! They got me to BM "hospital" about 8:00P.M. Broke my wrist around 9:00 A.M. However there was no X ray tech or physician on duty at that time of night. So the guys leave, and I was to call for a pickup ride after I was through.

So they called in the X ray tech and she arrives pretty quick, takes a few photos and says, I'm not the doctor but that looks pretty bad.

I had made a deal with the wife that after my last get off, as long as my bike related injuries don't require any surgeries, then I can keep riding. I've had my share since we've been married. Broken ankle, two collar bones, broken scapula, ribs finger etc. She said it's hard on her... I have to admit that rehabbing injuries is getting a bit old.

Anyway back to BM hospital. They have to call in a doctor from home. Small place, I can hear the conversations at the front desk from my exam room. Doctor says she'll be in asap.

Twenty minutes later she calls to say that she can't get the kids to sleep, please call someone else.
40 minutes later appears another doctor, but he can't see me until he logs into the system. His password has expired and he hasn't been in in so long that the email with a new one has also expired too. Two calls to their tech support and( I'm trying to laugh) and finally he comes in to see me.

Looks at the xray and says, no big deal, simple old lady fracture, set it, splint it and Bobs your uncle. Oh, but we don't set bones here. Says I should go to Reno. Got some pills said thank you and I was out the door.

While waiting for Danny to come fetch me, the nurse walks out and says again, I don't know that doctor, but I bet you will need surgery. So now I'm confused. I had given the guys strict radio silence instructions as I didn't want any info going to the wife until I knew what was going on. So back to the hotel, up and down all night waiting for breakfast so we could discuss what to do with me.

As Mark mentioned the next morning we decided I'd fly home from Reno, they would continue the ride minus Marc and me.
On the way to Reno I finally called the wife to ask for a ride home from the Seattle airport. Told her I was OK just a bunged up wrist.

Got home about 8:00 P.M. Called my ortho guy next morning, (sad when you have one) he can't see me until the next day. So Monday to Thursday I waited. Thursday the bad news, I had broken both bones and would require surgery to keep them in place... **&&^** He wondered what the guy in BM was smoking...

I had enough experience to know if their might be a chance to get in for surgery I shouldn't eat. Wednesday night no food for me. Sure enough they wanted to do surgery Friday, but since I hadn't eaten they were able to do the surgery that afternoon.

Open reduction, internal fixaction, more metal and another 7 screws to my collection.
Cast for two weeks, splint for two and now I'm working on flexibility exercises and trying to convince my wife that it wasn't the Husky 610's fault

Hope I win, and I can keep her, wife and bike. ha ha. stay tuned..

dan-oh screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 07:21 PM
dan-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

The break

Glad to hear you are healing up, Dan-ohhhhh....

The whole story illuminates the remoteness of northern Nevada. 13 hours to a hospital, only to get a bogus diagnosis and a pat on the butt. Preparedness and solid action post injury helps.

I have to give a tip of the hat to our riding group on that last point. Dano for pure huevos to ride out. Don for his medical training (you can hear it in his description above....retired firefighter), Danny and Greg for being so damn calm and logical, Marc for sacrificing his ride in order to get to Reno.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #39
NVKatoom
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey guys, glad to see that Dan is OK. Love the reports of my home state. I love rhat alot of adventures are here exploring this awesome state. Its really the best state for riding without restrictions of land ownership and congestion of fowns andd cities. But thats what makes it dangerous as well. This is a great example of why you should always plan for things like this. When my group rides we always know where the closest clinic, hospital, emergency room or hospital is. ALWAYS. We also call ahead of time to see if it's still in operation and what their hours are. Nevada is wide open and there always seems to be a glitch when it comes to outback medical care. Eureka or Fallon would have been a better choice than Battle Mountain. Kind of surprised the trooper didn't know enough to inform you of that. Fallon has a full hospital and is only 20 minutes further than Battle Mountain.
When ever possible we also con a non riding buddy to chase us around in a truck for support. Most of the time its two people so they have someone to talk to. We usually have a seperate course laid out for him where he meets us at intersecting points for fuel or what ever and he is always prepered for the hiccup. Sat phones are how we keep in touch with him.
Can't wait to read the rest of the reports. Enjoy the state.

By the way. Diannas Punch Bowl. I have seen carcasses of bones floating in there a few years back while on a deer hunt out there. It looked to be coyotes and a small rodent. I can't seem to get to close to the edge anymore.
NVKatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #40
dan-oh
Old Noob

Oddometer: 21
Good points NVKatoom

I chose BM, being the one who screwed up I was trying to minimize the impact on the rest of the guys trip.

Figured if we got back to BM that day I would only screw the group ( beside Marc) out of 1 day riding. I was pretty sure my wrist wouldn't get all it needed that day anyway. Considering all factors it seemed best to get my bike back to the trailer and trucks where it could sit until they finished the loop.

The Trooper did mention Fallon and Elko.

SAT phone would be nice!
dan-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #41
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't realize a Sat phone could be rented for $24.95 a week. Wonder if that's real or the just the first website on google? Last year when I rode Death Valley solo they were $125 a week.

https://satmodo.com/rental/?gclid=CLCD68eAxb8CFVJefgodhH4AXQ
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #42
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

Mastermarine and I rented one in DV a couple of years ago...i think it was a bout $60 for the week. Rented one when I did Black Rock solo in 2007. it was pretty pricy, but...i was alone.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM   #43
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,782
YIKES! Nice extraction work there.

Dang bones!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #44
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
I wonder about response time with my Delorme Inreach out in a places like that .I ride alone alot.And my XRR is hard to start if injured.Nice job of teaming up to help out an injured rider.

oldxr screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 04:44 PM Reason: spelling
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #45
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
I'll try to avoid repeating everyone else's comments by summarizing:

• Departed camp @ 7:45 for an amazingly beautiful ride up Ike's Canyon.
  • Excellent camp spot in Ike's Canyon.
  • Frikkin' snow ain't stopping us this time!
  • Stoneberger Basin is absolutely stunning. One of my favorite rides of all time. Challenging in spots and absolutely stunning views. We'll have to go back.
  • Dano breaks his right wrist in a tip-over while breaking his fall. Then goes on to perform the Herculean task of riding 13.5 miles of technical, rocky jeep trail and then another 29 miles of gravel and pavement.

stats:
138 miles.7.5 hours (on the bikes).
200 miles, 3.5 hours (in the truck).

Some elaboration on the story with the state trooper.

Dano and I are riding up front when we pass the trooper at the side of the road. I start thinking to myself that maybe we should stop and solicit help or information from him. Just about then Dano pulls over and I'm thinking he had the same idea, but I believe he just needed to take a break. So I look in my mirror and see that Mark is pulling over behind us with the trooper in tow. "Great!", I think, "Mark flagged down the officer. Good job!"

Can't say enough about how helpful the officer was. He gave us some local intel - sadly that the Austin Urgent Care clinic was shut down. His best quote when asked about being the only officer in the region of small towns for miles at a time, "The towns are alright, but the hills have eyes".

The 100 mile slog back to Battle Mountain on the WR250R was just that - a slog. Sure, the little 250 will do 70, but it's a chore. At one point the bike simply died and wouldn't restart so I coasted to the side or the road and noticed the display was showing error code 19. Great. This was only half way to Battle Mountain. I cycled the power and it started up just fine. I decided to keep the pace below 70 the rest of the way.

Then the 100 mile drive back to Austin with the truck and trailer, load up the remaining bikes, Marc, and Dano, and another 100 miles back to Battle Mountain.

While filling up at the gas station in Austin a curious local struck up a conversation. I told him the tale of woe regarding Dano and said we were headed back to Battle Mountain because that's where the hospital was. He mentioned he was from Battle Mountain and said "Yeah - we got a hospital in Battle Mountain…. Not a very good one…."

I opted not to relay that message back to Dan.

Onto the pics of the day…

Packing up

Best camping spot of the trip

Mark in aspens

Even Google Earth has the snowbank we dug through

Dano about to drop into Stoneberger Basin

Danny on the KLR

Dano riding cautiously with Don and Danny keeping watch.

Dano (a.k.a Hercules)

Making arrangements for Dano once we hit pavement and got cell service.

Um… yeah… I think it's broken…

Chillaxin' in the AC with ice