User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #61
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
A belated Day 4 report!

Sorry for the delays in keeping the story going. Thanks to Greg and Don for pushing forward with Day 4. As Greg said, after sending Dano off with Marc to get his arm fixed (flight home from Reno to Seattle), we had to salvage what we could of the southern loop. We couldn’t accelerate the northern loop, as we were planning on staying two nights in Denio Junction and they were apparently sold out before and after our planned visit.

Our original plan was to ride to Eureka on day 3, then follow a TAT hybrid from Eureka back to Battle Mountain on day 4. Given that we were in Battle Mountain a day early, we rode part of our planned day 4 route backwards, then cut back west and returned to Battle Mountain (see Greg's cool 3d plot of our route above).

So, my version of the tale. After repacking the bikes in Battle Mountain, it we headed south on Hilltop road to the mouth of Crum Canyon.

Climbing out of the canyon towards Maysville summit:

The top of the summit looking south:

Hilltop rd turns east, so our route crossed Indian Creek and continued south:

We then routed back west in our gradual turn back towards Battle Mountain. I think this is at the top of Mill Creek Summit. Lots of abandoned mines in that area, and we would soon be into the domain of big active ones:

Heading back down towards the Reece River valley:

Given that we were going to hit the Mt Lewis radar site, we headed north on gravel for a few miles to hook up to the access road. Along the way, we hit another herd of wild horses. For some reason I was able to sneak up on them by riding cross country, stopping, waiting, and then approaching again. They let me get pretty close before getting nervous and tearing out the north.

They are starting to get annoyed with me:

If you look close, you will see one of these horses has a brand. Not sure how it got in with the crew, as they were clearly a wild herd:

And they are gone:

Then it was onto the climb to Mt. Lewis. As Greg mentioned in his post, he and I had ridden/driven by this damn thing three times the previous day -- once on the bikes returning to Battle Mountain to fetch the truck, then south in the truck on our recovery run to Austin, the a third and final time bringing Dano back north to the Battle Mountain hospital. After staring at it out of the car window that last time we vowed to go there. It must be conquered! And it was pretty damn spectacular:

Getting closer:

And the top. Seems the Feds should invest in some white paint. The dome is looking pretty shabby up close:

Danny and Don enjoying a snack at the top:

This is looking NE at the route we used to come south from Battle Mountain:

These was another road just to the left of this shot. I think that is the one Wachs was referencing as another way up. Perhaps in July it would be open.

Just east of the west summit is a little bowl and a road the leads to the true peak:

Danny went ahead and ensured he made it ALL the way to the top:

And attempt at using moss and lichen as abstract art:

And the road back down. I turned off my motor just for fun and coasted all 5000' of the drop back to the valley. Always fun to try to not scrub off too much speed in the corners and keep your momentum on the occasional flat section.

Once at the bottom, we picked up Jenkins road, a gravel super highway that ran about 15 miles back north into Battle Mountain and another Mexican restaurant pig out. Onto to our originally planned ride and the northern loop on Day 5.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #62
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

Day Five

With the disruption of the southern loop behind us, the four of us remaining packed up our bikes again and headed into our northern loop. This was to be another long day as we pushed to get all the way up to Denio Junction -- about 195 miles IIRC (I'll let Greg give the status and the route map this time.

The first part of our route follows the TAT (I think. I've never ridden the TAT but one of my sources for planning the ride explained some of the roads utilized in this area). Anyway, we rode about 20 miles due north out of Battle Mountain on Izzenhood road.

Along the way, I saw this red mini-van parked out in the distance to the west. Seemed odd that someone would be parked out there, so I diverted and went to take a look.

I should have known:

The North Valmy power plant way, way off in the distance to the west (this is with a 400mm lens -- the plant is about 15 miles away):

Izzenhood road leads to...Izzenhood ranch! At the ranch we took a slight jog to the west before proceeding north again. I should have taken pictures at the ranch. At the entrances there is a big sign saying that visitors must check in and need permission to cross. Hmm. So...we proceeded slowly into the main cluster of houses and mobile homes and looked around. No one was stirring or seemed in the least bit interested in us, so we proceeded to open the north gate and proceed on. A couple days later at Soldier Meadows we learned that the care taker (of Soldier) had just moved from Izzenhood ranch and that folks pass through almost daily.

The road north of Izzenhood runs through a beautiful valley with the Owyhee bluffs as a backdrop:

This section of road runs for about 20 miles:

Approaching Midas road:

Midas road looking east:

After going NW on Midas road for about a mile, we cut north on Jack Creek road:

At this point, things got a little wacky. Our route called for us to cut west from Jake Creek to another road, Kelly Creek, about a mile to the west. The connector could barely be called a road -- it hadnt been using in years and had huge bike eating ruts running down the middle. Its always an adventure!

As it turns out, our route didn’t really hit the Kelly creek road either...its stopped about 1/4 mile short and headed north along a long, silty two track with about a million gates. It was worth it though, as Greg caught these old cars off to the left.

Either these cars are really small, or Greg is huge!

The profile of one of them:

The only label we could find on the cars:

According to Wikipedia, "
The NSU Prinz is an automobile produced in West Germany by the NSU Motorenwerke AG. The car was built from 1957 to 1973". As best I can gather, they were never imported into the US. But yet here they are in the middle of the Nevada desert!

Greg at one of the 10,000 gates on this road:

I should have taken pictures of all the different gate latches we encountered. This one uses a lever to tighten the gate once the loop is pulled over the post:

Finally we arrived at Kelly creek ranch and figured out that there was what appeared to be a fairly deep water crossing to get there. We looked for a way around, but finally concluded there was no alternative (and it wasn’t very deep:

Up the other bank was the old ranch house:

Apparently there are a bunch of TAT messages written inside the house. I didn’t see em, as I went ahead scouting the route, but I believe Greg and Don did.

More day 5 tomorrow.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 07-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #63
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246

Wait til you see what's next!

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 01:40 PM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #64
thor63
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great report. I love northern NV. I was the guy on the black/grey rocket bike when you guys were getting gas for the p/u in Austin. I thought it looked like one rider was nursing a bum wing. Glad all worked out.
thor63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #65
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Great report and pictures!! Thanks for taking us along...waiting for more!!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #66
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 to Hinkey Summit

The TAT house at Kelley Creek

Shade takes the edge off. Danny went inside and checked out the signing wall.

Drive through garage with GL Coyote bag

(Photo by Greg)

The fence looked like the shelves from a '70's grocery store bread cart.
Target cars are getting smaller. Sniper school I reckon

TAT route scenery is easy cruising and decent track

Chimney Lake. Heading to campground we found a fire ring with pallet nails everywhere. Can't have cheap beer and firewood at the same time, so they improvised.

Paradise Valley - Simple menu of 4 types hamburger, cold drink, chips, or potato salad. A short wait for fresh cooked lunch.

Good spot to wait for Greg & Mark. From here we go to Hinkey Summit, take Lye Creek to the 140 & Orovada.

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 04:33 PM
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #67
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Is this thread over yet??? arghh- more baby food

Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #68
dan-oh
Old Noob

Oddometer: 21
I'm always amazed how much water can be found in them there parts..
dan-oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #69
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
nice selfy Don, good stuff, found some bandwidth and getting caught up, keeping it rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Is this thread over yet??? arghh- more baby food

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #70
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Mark's Ride Report- just waiting. Mark & Greg must be having fun.
The Denio route follows the Wachs ride to Soldier Meadow.

Some background info:
My father-in-law now 79 has hunted & fished most of northern NV. He saw last year's ride pics and said "You've seen more of NV than I have".
-The hills near Austin have streams of 10-12" cut throat trout native to NV. Being fairly remote, they are excellent fishing.
- I asked who cut all the Nevada road and trail. I figured the 1940's for a Willy's era jeep, when that was the smallest 4WD around. He said in the 1920's and 1930's the Ford Model A was the back road off roader.
- Maybe in the Valleys, can't picture a Model A over the passes. They had huge narrow tires. Could have been an original high clearance vehicle back in the day. Makes sense if they traveled in the dry season.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #71
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
yep, and when the ruts got too deep they just moved over. Neighbor of mine "moved west" with his family in a T. Said the tracks across Kansas were a mile wide from "moving over". Mountains passes were so steep the fuel tank wouldn't gravity feed the carb, so there would be lines of T's backing over the pass in reverse. Neighbor had a bicycle pump plumbed to his tank, as a kid it was his job to pressurize the tank (but not too much). That way they could go forward and catch 2nd gear and pass everyone up the hill. sorry off topic but I love the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Mark's Ride Report- just waiting. Mark & Greg must be having fun.
The Denio route follows the Wachs ride to Soldier Meadow.

Some background info:
My father-in-law now 79 has hunted & fished most of northern NV. He saw last year's ride pics and said "You've seen more of NV than I have".
-The hills near Austin have streams of 10-12" cut throat trout native to NV. Being fairly remote, they are excellent fishing.
- I asked who cut all the Nevada road and trail. I figured the 1940's for a Willy's era jeep, when that was the smallest 4WD around. He said in the 1920's and 1930's the Ford Model A was the back road off roader.
- Maybe in the Valleys, can't picture a Model A over the passes. They had huge narrow tires. Could have been an original high clearance vehicle back in the day. Makes sense if they traveled in the dry season.

KLR-a6 "Dora the Explorer", 530 x-cw "KLR-lite"
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #72
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

I doubt today's city SUV's could follow those old cars anywhere. I'll post tomarrow, take it to the Denio loop. 9 days is serious vacation between updates.

We finished lunch at Paradise Valley and headed north on the 210 / Indian Creek to NF 087 Lye Creek Rd.
Scenic high country. Similar to a Titus Canyon road.

Mark cruising the 610. We traveled the other side of the summit last year from Lye Creek.

Wet enough year for wildflowers

Pictures slow travel down for a reason

The Summit before making a left on Lye Creek, heading to the 140

Real dirt under the Moto-Z enduro tire. Does fine offroad (1500R/3000F) Pavement shortens that up. We crossed a series of small water crossings through the NFS campground and started down the other side.

(Greg photo)

Mark burns another SD card. He's got a pre-Clinton clip loaded for the trip. This is where the road runs out, cows turn thick, and front brake squeals.

Our two heroes had some really nice pictures of the west side descent to Orovada.

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 01:18 PM
Old 07-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #73
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,353
I just discovered this RR.
Great job guys!
Looking forward to the rest.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #74
kramsetac OP
The Dude Abides

The rest of day 5...finally!

OK. I lied. Its taken me almost two weeks to post the rest of day 5. It is riding season after all. I'd rather be riding than posting…

Picking up where I left off at Kelly Creek Ranch. After crossing the creek and figuring out how to exit the abandoned ranch property, we continued north on a better gravel road, largely without silt or barbed wire gates. After going about 10 miles further north on Chimney Creek Road, we encountered what I thought was another herd of cattle. Nope. Two huge herds of wild horses, one on either side of a barbed wire fence, but hanging out there in one spot. I counted at least 40 head overall -- an impressive size given all of the BLM round ups. We slowly creeped up until they lost their patience with us and ran off. Pics:

After the horses, we rode north until we hit Chimney Creek Reservoir. The water was way, way down.

The low water had exposed a rock island, so of course we had to try to climb onto it. Bad idea. There was one little slot of dirt climbing up, then was raw lava rock on top. Danny's KLR protested.

Danny gingerly coming back down off the rock island

From there it was onto Paradise Valley. Hinkey pass in the background.

Paradise Valley Saloon. A familiar site from previous rides. We stopped, had burgers and chatted with the owner for about an hour. I think he knew of every road and ranch in northern Nevada.

Leaving Paradise Valley, it was up the Hinkey pass.

Winding up the pass road:

Views from the top looking south at Paradise valley and beyond:

From Hinkey Summit we turned west past Lye Creek campground and took a little used 4wd road up and over the Santa Rosa range. Snow levels were about a 1000's lower than our southern loop and I became concerned we would hit another drift. Fortunately, we made it through.

The decent from the west side of the range down to Orovada seems never ending. Spectacular scenery that seems like a set from the Sound of Music:

Going down!!!!

Greg with Orovada and Kings River in the distance:

And...the end. Ovovada. Highway 95 and gasoline.

Some antelope were standing around waiting to run out in front of us near Orovada:

Not a lot of pictures after Orovada. We took about 10 miles of pavement into Kings River, then cut over to highway 140 on Nine Mile road. The last section prior to the pavement:

Being late in the day, it was then about 20 miles of pavement up to Denio Junction for the evening.

Looking back at Denio Summit:

Good night from Denio Junction:

I promise to get my sh_t together and post day 6 quickly!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM   #75
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

No pics for following a cattle truck too close. Either speed up or get off the road til they get some lead.

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 09:20 PM