Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
I had a similar failure and it was the points in the fuel pump burning out- mine came and went a few times and I was able to get the bike home under its own power.

I installed the Dr. Bean kit and am very pleased with it- I like that it utilizes the factory pump and will avoid the over pressure/over fueling problem a few have encountered with various aftermarket pumps. Installation was easy and the directions were clear and precise.
Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #17
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrdd View Post
so its normal for it to just start working again?

is it safe to ride it while I Wai for a fuel pump ⛽ or will I only get a few more miles out of it?

would you order two fuel pumps right away? Are they really a consumable part?
Yeup.
Fuel pump becomes intermittent.
Stock pumps are cheap. I actually carry a spare.
Or you can replace the points on the pump yourself. Cheaper but takes a bit more work.
One pump will last your about 20K miles (YMMV).

Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,204
I'm in Calgary and have a brand-new spare 950 fuel pump. You are welcome to try it to confirm if the problem is for sure the pump.

Andy
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #19
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
I'm in Calgary and have a brand-new spare 950 fuel pump. You are welcome to try it to confirm if the problem is for sure the pump.

Andy
And once again, Advrider shows itself to be totally awesome! 100 points to Andy!
Tim McKittrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #20
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Seriously great group. Where in the world could such a breakdown actually be so positive. Though I am looking outside, and we finally have some warm weather and my bike is on the stand.

So after talking to Facet several times I ended up ordering in two facet FAC-40178 fuel pumps that I am going to try. Getting a stock original pump was going to be $216 locally and I ordered in two facet pumps and other parts for $140. Once they arrive Iíll get it all pieced together and see how things run.

I also pulled the battery and went to get a new one. But before I did I had the battery company load test my battery for a while and it turns out that there was nothing wrong with it. Not sure if thatís good news or bad news. I find if the bike sits for more than 4 or 5 days that itís dead. So I typically keep it on the trickle charger. However this time I had it sitting in the shop, unplugged, and went camping for 5 days. When I came back it fired up fine and I rode it to work where it then again sat for two days, because I was busy partying at the Calgary Stampede, and then when I went to leave it was dead. I need to fire the bike up and see how many volts Iím getting while it is running.

All of the fuel in the bike is good so thatís not an issue. However I also went through the process of SeaFoaming the bike three times just to get everything cleaned out.
hotrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #21
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Glad you didn't break down on broke back Mtn...
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

so I got the new facet fuel pump installed yesterday. Threw the battery back in and started to crank the bike. I was able to get it to idk but as soon as I gave it throttle it just died. Same as it was doing before I put the new pump in.

another weird thing is that I wasn't able to get a voltage reading at the fuel pump wire. Should it have 12v as soon as I turn the key on?

So I jumped 12v from the battery to the facet fuel pump but I was having the same issue.

I'm currently charging the battery and will do some more testing when I get home. But what else should I be looking for.

facet pump I believe was rated for 2-3.5 psi
Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #23
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

so I think I may have the issue solved. Once I get a couple minutes I'll take the bike out for a ride and confirm. But there were two issues. A short in the wires and me wiring the pump up backwards.

Also going to look for a kit of bolts that tie all the fairings down. I have a bunch that are starting to strip.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Lectricity is funny that way.....glad you are getting it sorted out.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #25
hotrdd OP
Adventurer

I wish I could say this is becoming a ďbuildĒ thread but itís more like my breakdown thread L

So after getting the fuel pump sorted out I took the bike to work and then on the way home decided to swing into Princess Auto and pick up some equipment to rebuild a Kubota engine I had in the shop. I was feeling great and the temperature was around 23C or 73F. After a quick stop I grabbed my stuff and went outside to head home. But the bike was dead. It cranked over a little but not enough power to get it going. So once again there I was, Stranded. This was getting old quick.

I decided to roll the bike around the side of the building into the shade and then call for a ride home. But just as I rolled around the side of the building a guy walking by and asked me if I wanted some help. NOPE! I said battery is completely dead. Well why donít we bump start it he asks? So he has me throw it in second gear gives it a quick 10 foot push and sure enough the bike fires right up. I seriously must have the luckiest breakdowns. If you can call breakdowns lucky. Unfortunately the other issue I ran into as I was leaving is that within minutes the bike was starting to overheat. I thought I had solved that problem as well but I may have to take a look at the water pump. Running down the highway was fine but sitting waiting for the lights the bike was hitting all seven bars and flashing.

But I get the bike home and tested the charging system while the bike was running and I was seeing a constant 14V. So I figure maybe a short in the wiring or phantom draw. It canít be the battery because I had it load tested at the battery store just a couple weeks ago. So I disconnect the ground cable from the battery and finish the loop with a test light. But nothingÖ It wasnít showing any draw at all (With the key off). Iím now back to it being a bad battery. Is there any battery testing I can do at home before I shell out the $160 the battery store wants for a new battery?

As far as the overheating goes the bike has two fans and a new thermostat radiator switch. The system has been thoroughly burped. So I think I need to order in a new CJís water pump as well. Though I havenít pulled the pump apart yet to look at it.