ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
** Pies & Paints ** day at Rella's Cafe WV

Thanks to several generous ADV riders, we collected enough $$ to buy Rella two banner signs for her cafe in Hacker Valley WV. Rella was very appreciative: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=951117&page=9

For those of you not familiar with Rella, she is a great-grandmother who runs a diner 7 days a week out of an old trailer along Rt 20 in Hacker Valley WV. She makes great home-cooked meals and unbelievable home-made pies!! She also makes every person feel like family. She loves all of the ADV riders that stop by. Wonderful lady! More photos: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906834

OK - Here's the proposal: With the new banners, the diner is much more visible to traffic. However, if you go back and look at the photos, you can tell it has been a while since the place has been painted. I think if we can collect about $150-$170, we can buy a 5-gallon bucket of beige paint and 3 gallons of dark red (underpinning and porch) at WalMart and a small crew of folks could have the place painted in a few hours. I have several leftover rollers with two extension poles (about 4' each) so we can reach most of it without a ladder.

How about July 26? That would give us time to organize things. I would need one volunteer to pick up the paint (WalMart in Clarksburg, Buckhannon, or Weston) and bring it down in a vehicle that day. (We are a 1-car family and my wife will be in Wisconsin)

And, of course, we would hit the pie fridge afterwards.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 05:55 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,557
July 26th works for us. I couldn't have ridden there this weekend, let alone painted anything (old war wound giving me fits). It should be back to normal by the 26th.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Went by there Saturday. Hodam mountain, right?

Wanted to stop in but I didn't carry cash. Do they take debit?

I'll be at work that weekend.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post
Went by there Saturday. Hodam mountain, right?

Wanted to stop in but I didn't carry cash. Do they take debit?

I'll be at work that weekend.
I doubt she does the debit thing. And, yes, it's Hodam Mt, about 1 mile south of the big lumberyard/sawmill on the south end of Hacker Valley.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
pnoman OP
Just Average

One of our fellow riders who paints for a living suggested wisely that the building really be sprayed/cleaned or the paint would not adhere correctly.

I agree - we just had our house pressure washed and scrubbed before we painted it last week. Question is, how do we get a sprayer there?

Also, it takes at least 2-3 days to properly dry. A week or two would be great. That means 2 work days at least a week apart.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: If I understand correctly, I guess using a good hose and sprayer with solid water pressure, along with some bleach and scrubbing, should do the job. I will check with Rella to see if she has a hose and spigot.

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 06:50 PM
Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,867
I'll be in TN for the next few weeks, so I can't make it to paint.
I'm willing to chip in towards supplies tho.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #7
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I wouldn't recommend bleach. I'll throw this in. I could probably help with one phase, but maybe not both. Let's see who can work on which and I will try to fill in.

A safe deep cleaner for wood siding is oxygen bleach. (Think OxiClean). Chlorine bleach can remove the color from wood siding, and it can kill expensive landscaping around your home. It is a powder that mixes with water. It is non-toxic to vegetation and trees and will not remove any natural color from the siding. You simply keep the wood siding wet with the oxygen bleach solution for 15 minutes. It will remove the mildew and deep clean the siding. Lightly scrub the siding before rinsing with clear water from a garden hose. Avoid the temptation of using a pressure washer. These devices can force water into cracks and seams. This water gets behind the siding and can travel into your home. The intense pressure from these tools can quickly erode and scar soft woods like cedar and redwood.

DuckWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
pnoman OP
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV View Post
I wouldn't recommend bleach. I'll throw this in. I could probably help with one phase, but maybe not both. Let's see who can work on which and I will try to fill in.

A safe deep cleaner for wood siding is oxygen bleach. (Think OxiClean). Chlorine bleach can remove the color from wood siding, and it can kill expensive landscaping around your home. It is a powder that mixes with water. It is non-toxic to vegetation and trees and will not remove any natural color from the siding. You simply keep the wood siding wet with the oxygen bleach solution for 15 minutes. It will remove the mildew and deep clean the siding. Lightly scrub the siding before rinsing with clear water from a garden hose. Avoid the temptation of using a pressure washer. These devices can force water into cracks and seams. This water gets behind the siding and can travel into your home. The intense pressure from these tools can quickly erode and scar soft woods like cedar and redwood.
I have a 1-gallon garden sprayer that I rinse out after use. Do you think a gallon mix of oxy-clean sprayed on after first spraying with a hose, letting sit for 15 min and brushing before rinse (sounds like a dentist), would work? The sprayer will fit in my bike luggage, so I could bring it down this Saturday and at least start cleaning the siding. Thoughts?

www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
This is a good thing

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure if a gallon would be enough, but we could always refill it. If you want to set a time either early in the day or later in the day, I could plan on meeting you there. Did you find out if she has a hose available?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckWV View Post
I'm not sure if a gallon would be enough, but we could always refill it. If you want to set a time either early in the day or later in the day, I could plan on meeting you there. Did you find out if she has a hose available?
Yeah, you're gonna need it for a power washer. Was wondering about that earlier.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
pnoman OP
Just Average

PART I - I bought a gallon of concentrated house cleaner, a spray/mixer attachment for the hose, and one of those "pocket hoses" that fold up so I can put it on the bike. I am going to ride down to Rella's tomorrow (Saturday July 12) morning - be there by about 10am. I plan to spray and clean as best as possible. Might not be perfect, but lots better than it is now (I hope). She said she has a spigot and an old hose (short, though). If anyone wants to join me, you are welcome. Parts of the house may need to be scrubbed before rinsing.

PART II - How about July 26 for the painting party?

www.RidingWV.com
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
DuckWV
Studly Adventurer

Come one, come all!!.

I will plan on being there in the morning. Not sure about the next week.

Michael

Old 07-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
pnoman OP
Just Average

DuckWV and I made it to Rella's today and scrubbed the outside. We sprayed house cleaner on it, then scrubbed and rinsed. The upper section (to the right of the entry door) is vinyl siding and will not need painted. We sprayed and cleaned it. It looks like we will paint just the lower side (facing north towards Hacker Valley) and the front left side up to the door. There is also a fascia (?) along the south end of the cafe along the top (appx 20'X3') We will also paint the porch (dark red).

Our best guess is that we can do it with 3 gallons of beige and 1 gallon of the dark red. Rella already has 1 gallon of the dark red, but the porch and underpinning on the north side may take more than 1 gallon.

TENTATIVE DATE: SATURDAY JULY 26 - Start around 9:30am. Finish by mid-afternoon. Rain date TBD.

WHAT WE NEED: 1) First and foremost, I need 1 volunteer who can pick up the paint at either WalMart or Lowes (Clarksburg & Buckhannon have both) and bring it to Rella's on July 26 (or drop it off before). I can make sure you are paid$$. (my wife has our only car in Wisconsin for a few weeks visiting - sorry) 2) Donations for paint - the 4 gallons will probably be between $80-$100. 3) BYOB- Bring your own brush and/or roller. I have a 4-foot rod and a 9-foot extension rod for rollers so we should be able to reach everything without a ladder. How I'm going to get it there on my scooter is another question. Help! 4) Hungry workers! If we get at least a few folks there helping, we should be able to knock this out in a few hours.

SPECIAL NOTE: Rella informed us she is soon turning 80. She didn't say the exact date, but this would be a great birthday present.

THANKS TO EVERYONE!

Today's Pie Fridge. Mmmmmmmmmmmm........

DuckWV with his burger and fries.

I decided to skip the burger today and went straight to the pie fridge. Home-made blackberry pie with ice cream . YES!

DuckWV went for the graham cracker pie. And milk, of course.

Jeaneace and Rella (showing off her new short haircut).

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 04:34 PM
Old 07-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
Wvtrailsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
I live in Buckhannon. I will be out of town on the 26th, but I have a truck and wouldn't mind picking up the paint and anything you guys need and dropping it off one day after work or this coming weekend.
Wvtrailsmith is offline   Reply With Quote