Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
HanShotFirst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
FNG looking for Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Colorado ride reports

Hey all,

First, sorry for the long post, but if you can take the time to read it and offer some links to ride reports, and maybe some advice; it would be greatly appreciated. I'm so glad I found this web site, you guys are freaking awesome.

As my way to try to give back some (the only thing I have to offer), I've started a thread in the Shiny Things section called "Ask the Gunsmith". I'm always asking questions about bikes, so the least I can do is try to re-pay you all with what worthless knowledge I have rattling around in my bean. THANK ALL OF YOU for all the help and advice, I wish I could have everyone over for dinner and a few cold ones.

I've been riding my whole life (I'm 48). I've done over-nighter dirt bike trips but never really did a real adventure ride. My youngest son is 11 now, and I've told him that when he turns 15 1/2 and can get a learner's permit, we will do an off-road ride to Arkansas (we live in Nevada now, moved from Arkansas last year; and we miss Arkansas). That's 2,000 miles of off road travel.

Between now and then, I'd like to do some overnighters, weekenders, etc. to start preparing. We're poor and we have a LONG way to go on the bikes as far as getting them in shape. I have a 1994 KLX650C that needs the suspension completely re-done. Fortunately it runs like a scalded dog and just won't quit; you get to like a bike that does that...considering we ride trails about twice a week.

My daughter's bike is a barn find 1999 XT225. Neighbor had it in his barn, said his teenage son killed it (and a KTM that was sitting next to it). I figured the engine was good, so I gave him $100.00; and I was right. The engine runs great, but the rest of the bike needs a LOT of TLC. Well I bought it specifically as a project bike to hone my mechanic skills. So that bike needs a lot of attention before a serious trip.

So I have a few years to get all in shape. We can take local over-nighters to get used to all the problems and learn what to expect; there's a good 500 miles of trails at the end of our cul de sac.

So I was thinking of doing a Dayton (NV) to Tahoe trip as a started. Then I'd like to branch out to riding across NV into neighboring states until we really get the feel for this stuff.

So ride reports from NV, ID, UT, CO would be very helpful. As well as any advice you could offer a guy in my position.

Again thanks to everyone for the help, advice, and mostly; the inspiration!

Kevin
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote