User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #61
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,159
W6R,

That's a great description of Guymon, Oklahoma. Long rolling hills, sweeping winds...

BTW, my 9th grade teacher was "Mr. Guymon" and I think he was from Oklahoma (I lived in rural SoCal during this time). Maybe he was one of the founding family.

Thanks for your comment; it made me think (a rarity after retiring ).

--Doc

P.S. Wotan thanks you for the kind words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White6Romeo View Post
Wotan certainly is a beauty of a machine! I rode through Guymon OK a couple summers ago. I was visiting the grave of a friend of mine there. It seemed like I was riding forever over those long rolling hills. I kept looking at my GPS watching the distance shrink and still couldn't seen any hints of civilization. I thought "where the hell is this town!". Sure enough I crested one last hill and there it was. I also found out how true the lyric "Where the winds come sweeping down the plains" was.

Safe travels my friend!
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #62
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Monday, July 14 (Bastille Day!): Marion, Kentucky --> Walton, Kentucky.

Just thought I'd remind some of the xenophobes that even the French have national holidays...

Leaving Marion, Kentucky...

Managed to futz around long enough that the rain shown in the previous foto had stopped...perfect strategy. With something around 300 miles to cover today to get to my host in Walton, KY (about 15 miles S of Cincinnati, OH) I decided to largely take the interstate. I know, I know...violating my precepts yet again. So it goes...

But not just yet. I had about 30 miles of delightful rural Kentucky countryside via US 641 to Fredonia, KY, then KY 91 down to Princeton, KY. Not much traffic, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of beautiful Kentucky country to soak up (no rain to soak up, thankfully).

Some rural Kentucky country...

At Princeton, KY, one joins the Western Kentucky Parkway (basically the interstate). But before that I refuled Wotan. As I was doing so, a gentleman sauntered over and we struck up a conversation. He was a H-D rider, but very much wanted a BMW...he's looked at F650s and F800s, and said that I "broke his heart" when I rode up on Wotan. A thoroughly enjoyable chat, and I'm still kicking myself for not having captured his image. See...he reminded me of a slender "Red"... Mrs. Greg knows what I'm talking about, but you-all don't. So here's the deal...

The legend of "Red"...

Mrs. Greg and I used to attend AMA Flattrack events in NoCal back in the 70s: San Jose Mile (and half mile), Sacramento Mile, etc. We both loved flattrack racing. So when we moved to Albuquerque we were thrilled to see there was going to be an Albuquerque Mile in 1989 (and 1990). At the Albuquerque Mile we had reserved seats, and upon finding or seats, we were a bit hesitant to sit down, since "Red" and "Mrs. Red" were next to us. Archetypical "outlaw" types, we just didn't know about them, and emotionally kept our distance.

To make a long story shorter, "Red" and I ended up swapping bike stories, "Mrs. Red" and mi esposa ended up swapping kid stories, and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The moral of the story: DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE BY APPEARANCE. Yes, you've heard that before, but NOW you're hearing it from Dr. Greg. So you KNOW it's true

(Western) Kentucky is SO BEAUTIFUL.

Eastern Kentucky may be beautiful, too---but I haven't seen it yet. The "Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway" (now that's a mouthful) reminded me of a 4-lane Natchez Trace. See?

Lovely Kentucky woodland flanking the "interstate"...

Then there's that gorgeous, brooding, primeval Eastern deciduous forest---I almost expect to hear the "Siegfried-Idyll" playing in the background. I tried to capture the forest while riding by, but failed miserably---both due to motion, and my photographic ineptitude.

A miserable attempt at a forest picture...

The weather had continued to improve, and the sky was now very pretty. BTW, the high temperature today was about 85 F, a full 10 degrees lower than the previous 5 days. The temp tomorrow is supposed to be even milder. About time!

A pretty day along the Wendell H. Ford Wes...you get the idea.

The outskirts of Cincinnati and more traffic --- but a happy ending!

My host for the evening was in Walton, KY...about 15 miles S of Cincinnati, OH. My route led E to near Lexington (big horse country, BTW), then N towards Cincinnati. As I drew nearer to Cincy, the truck traffic increased (the interstate broadened to 8 lanes, fer gosh sakes) and I felt like I was back in the City of Angels (lived there from '65 to '69).

But all was forgiven when I drew up at Stan & Charlene's place, and saw what was in the back yard:

And you bet I brought my swimmin' trunks!

Both Stan and I were in that pool faster than you can say "Jack Robinson"...man it felt good. And---unlike New Mexico---when you emerge from the water you don't freeze from rapid evaporation. Humidity actually has a good effect.

And dinner was outstanding---but I forgot to take a pic with my camera, so you'll have to take my word for it. Finally, here are my wonderful hosts: Stan and Charlene. Good people as usual.

These kind folks actually put up with Dr. Greg...

So what about tomorrow?

I managed to contact inmate "oldgezzer" (Mike) in Amesville, OH, who---sight unseen as usual---agreed to put up with me. It's something like 200 miles to get there, so I get to sleep late. Mike told of an interesting Ohio River museum in Point Pleasant, WV; it's a little out of my way, but I might just try to drop by. I missed a museum yesterday in Missouri that annoyed me.

So what else was I gonna say? I have a feeling that I'm forgetting something. That feeling occurs more frequently as the years go by, BTW...

Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying this trip, and I'm so pleased to write about it. Re-reading my old Ride Reports is one of my favorite pastimes, to which Mrs. Greg will attest.

Adios for today,

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #63
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
A most excellent guest tonight!

The good Doctor made it to our place right on time! It is good to meet the man, the legend of the Buell AND Duc, Doc Greg aboard the famous Wotan. We had a great visit stop by anytime the pool is always refreshing. Cheers Stan & Charlene

Go-4-It screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 02:32 PM Reason: spelling
Go-4-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #64
Kenm123t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Wva

Hey Doc if your that close you need to Visit Blenko glass works in Milton Wva. They make hand blown glass you will love the place and send Mrs Greg something nice !
If you make it to the Charleston Area and Like Small airports Visit Mallory field on Springhill Mountain. Mom's side of the family

And Ride safe !

Kenm123t
Kenm123t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:52 AM   #65
oldgezzer
Country Rider

Oddometer: 28
museum stop...

Dr. Greg,
Good to hear from you....depending on your route choice, this might be of interest.
http://www.ohiohistory.org/museums-a.../serpent-mound

The river museum linky: http://www.pprivermuseum.com/
Hours 10 to 3....might be closed by the time you get there.....

oldgezzer screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 04:16 AM
oldgezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #66
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm123t View Post
Hey Doc if your that close you need to Visit Blenko glass works in Milton Wva. They make hand blown glass you will love the place and send Mrs Greg something nice !
If you make it to the Charleston Area and Like Small airports Visit Mallory field on Springhill Mountain. Mom's side of the family

And Ride safe !

Kenm123t
I'll think about it; thx for the tip.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #67
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgezzer View Post
Dr. Greg,
Good to hear from you....depending on your route choice, this might be of interest.
http://www.ohiohistory.org/museums-a.../serpent-mound

The river museum linky: http://www.pprivermuseum.com/
Hours 10 to 3....might be closed by the time you get there.....
Boy, you saved me a TON of frustration. I'm headed for PP and the museum; it would just be closing when I arrived...

I'll modify my route to aim more directly at Amesville, OH. It'll lessen the time pressures bit...after all, this is SUPPOSED to be a laid-back vacation...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #68
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Leaving Joplin...hard to avoid I-44...
Too late now but a better choice would have been to go thru Carthage and take Route 66 to Springfield. Maybe not a great road but definitely better that I-44.

Great RR so far, subscribed for the rest of it.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #69
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
I enjoyed your 'Legend of Red' story. I am surprised you SoCal folks ventured north for our dirt track. My introduction to motorcycle racing was the Sacto Mile, SJ half, and the Cow Palace short track. I was a regular spectator at Hayward Speedway and Fremont. Soon I was racing at a few of those places myself, but it was early style motocross. It seemed hard to build a dirt tracker when you could buy a used Penton 125 and own the track with it ready made. I always wanted a Bultaco Astro, though.

I was a better fan than a racer. Soon I got to experience winged sprint cars and midgets. They took my breath away. My firm moved me to Phoenix in the early 80's and I discovered Manzanita Raceway. Jeepers, what a bowl! I liked to hang out along the fence exiting turn 4 and wearing goggles.

A fellow by the name of Lealand McSpadden owned that joint in winged sprinters and midgets. To this day he is my all-time fave racer. Even above Joe Leonard.

I went through KY last week. Not quite your route, but close. Cinci is a pretty town I thought. The river and the stadiums make it special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
The legend of "Red"...

Mrs. Greg and I used to attend AMA Flattrack events in NoCal back in the 70s: San Jose Mile (and half mile), Sacramento Mile, etc. We both loved flattrack racing. So when we moved to Albuquerque we were thrilled to see there was going to be an Albuquerque Mile in 1989 (and 1990). At the Albuquerque Mile we had reserved seats, and upon finding or seats, we were a bit hesitant to sit down, since "Red" and "Mrs. Red" were next to us. Archetypical "outlaw" types, we just didn't know about them, and emotionally kept our distance.

To make a long story shorter, "Red" and I ended up swapping bike stories, "Mrs. Red" and mi esposa ended up swapping kid stories, and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The moral of the story: DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE BY APPEARANCE. Yes, you've heard that before, but NOW you're hearing it from Dr. Greg. So you KNOW it's true

Adios for today,

--Doc
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #70
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

We were actually living in the NoCal Bay Area at the time of our flattrack attendance...going to grad school.

And I was a Fred Lorenzen fan...ever since I saw him drive turns 6-6A "one-handed" at Riverside Raceway in 1964.

Thanks for your comments.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I enjoyed your 'Legend of Red' story. I am surprised you SoCal folks ventured north for our dirt track.

A fellow by the name of Lealand McSpadden owned that joint in winged sprinters and midgets. To this day he is my all-time fave racer. Even above Joe Leonard.

I went through KY last week. Not quite your route, but close. Cinci is a pretty town I thought. The river and the stadiums make it special.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #71
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
Too late now but a better choice would have been to go thru Carthage and take Route 66 to Springfield. Maybe not a great road but definitely better that I-44.

Great RR so far, subscribed for the rest of it.
I-44 was fine. Thanks for following...maybe some new readers will give me a boost. I need it.

--Doc

P.S. My dad was born in Carthage, MO. Perhaps I should have gone through there. Oh, well...maybe on the return leg.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #72
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Tuesday, July 15: Walton, Kentucky --> Amesville, Ohio.

The weather today was simply AMAZING. I wish I thought it could last most of my trip, but...

Leaving Walton, KY.

When my medication alarm went of at 0600, I scarfed down the pills---you know you're gettin' old when the biggest bag of stuff is your MEDICATION bag---and set the iPhone timer for another hour. Just couldn't face the day...

This always happens to me on a trip, and I'm still suffering a little bit. I'll mentione more at the end of this update, but I'll get through it. But...when I struggled down the stairs to Stan & Charlene's breakfast table, I was overjoyed to find that...they were breakfast eaters!

I restrained Stan to fixing me only one egg (my usual), but he did a fine job:

A fine way to start the day...note the maps on the table.

All those maps were there (they were Stan's) because he was trying to show me a way to get from Walton over to the Ohio River WITHOUT going up to Cincinnati (can you imagine that at morning rush hour?) He did a fine job, as you'll see shortly.

Wotan gets the concours d'elegance treatment.

I finished packing up all my gear, and sauntered down to the garage where Wotan resided, and what do I see but this?

Restoring Wotan to showroom condition...thanks, Stan!

The darn guy was cleaning the whole front of the bike---now at least the photons can escape! Thanks!! You meet the nicest people on ADVrider.com. Well, sometimes...

50 MPG --- NO BATTERIES NEEDED.

That's what the sticker on the rear window of my 2002 VW Golf TDI says. Stan happens to agree with my choice of auto engines:

I'm a big fan of diesels. Too bad they have such a bad image to the USA car-buying public. Not so in Europe.

Traversing the Kentucky "peninsula"...

Kentucky actually does have a little peninsula that sticks up into Ohio (and Indiana). The Ohio River goes around it (and Cincinnati is at the top). My desire was to traverse that peninsula eastward to the Ohio River without going up to Cincinnati. Stan knew the way, and showed me on the map. I made a list of routes and turns, and stuck it in my map pocket. See?

My "cheat sheet" for traversing the Kentucky Peninsula...

And it ALMOST worked. But alas---I got lost somewhere around, uh, well, can't quite remember. But I got back on track w/o incident. And even when I was lost, I was riding thru some might pretty country. Those eastern deciduous forests again...

(Northern) Kentucky is beautiful.

I finally got to the Ohio River, and headed eastward on the Kentucky (south) side. At Maysville I crossed the Ohio River on this cool bridge (sorry the pic isn't better, but I'm doin' the best I can):

Ohio River bridge between Maysville, KY & Aberdeen, OH

At least I think that's the correct info. Like I said earlier, my brain is beginning to become confused.

Here's a view from the bridge (another poor pic).

A view of the Ohio River from the bridge...

IMHO the Ohio River is larger than the Mississippi River. Seems like it has more watershed. And its tributaries include the Tennessee and Cumberland. So why isn't it the "father of waters?" Guess it's just a poor nephew...

And I was very gratified to be so welcomed by the Great State of Ohio...

Look! Ohio likes me!

And I was officially on the Ohio River Scenic Byway. See? Felt better already. For a while...

It's official---I'm followin' the Ohio River.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics.

It wasn't long before I spotted this guy. The first of many in this general region.

Cooling water...give me COOLING WATER!!

There are several very good reasons for this. Yeah, lots of people live around here, and they need electricity, and there's coal in the area, but I don't mean that. These powerplants need COOLING WATER and the Ohio River has plenty. The reason they need cooling water is the same as why your internal combustion engine needs a radiator. Probably 70% (if you're lucky) of the energy contained in the fuel goes right out the radiator in the form of heat. Why? Well---in a nutshell---the Second Law of Thermodynamics. It says a lotta things, but basically it says you always lose.

I once heard that some Congressman wanted to "repeal" the Second Law, but Sadi Carnot might have something to say about that.

Left the Ohio River at Portsmouth (FWIW, the original Portsmouth is in the UK, at the southern tip. I have a friend John Billingsley who works at Portsmouth Polytechnic) to head N on OH 23. Yeah, it's 4-lane, but got a late start and I wanted to get to Amesville before the deer come out.

The Scioto River --- hey, I remember the TOSRV...

Once I found (thanks to the inmate, forget who it was) that by the time I'd get to the Ohio River Museum in Point Pleasant, WV it would be closed (1500 hours) I modified my route to head north to Amesville, OH where my host "oldgezzer" was. In doing so I encountered the Scioto River, see lousy pic below:

A poor pic (yes, another one) of the Scioto River in southern Ohio.

The reason the Scioto River is significant to me is that I used to be a fairly active cyclist (pushbike), and after I quit racing I did some Century rides, touring, etc. One of the big tours (this was back in the 70s; dunno if it's still held) was the Tour of the Scioto River Valley (TOSRV). So when I saw the Scioto River, it brought back some memories. Never rode it.

While riding up OH 23 I stopped at a rest area; parked Wotan in the shade. That's why the pic is kinda dark, cuz he's in the shade. Shade seems to do that. While there, I noticed that I was riding on the Applachian Gateway:

I've heard of "gateway drugs"...guess this is the same thing applied to a highway.

And I encountered an Amish buggy. Guess they're pretty thick in these parts. I missed capturing the first one, but there was another soon thereafter; it was kinda "sagging" in the rear. Guess they wanted to be stylish. Sorry the windscreen obscured the "sagging" of the rear of the buggy; it was the best I could do on short notice.

I hear these folks are good at growin' vegetables...

EPIC weather.

As I asked Mike when I got to his place in Amesville---"if it's like this every July, I'm movin' to southern Ohio!" Unfortunately, he assured me that it wasn't. It honestly felt like a fall day.

This was about as hot as it got all day in mid-July.

Along OH 23 it was cool and dry and simply gorgeous...

Man, this sure beats 95 F and 70% humidity!!

Doc begins to FADE at the end of the day...

At my last "rest stop" can you tell that I'm beginning to FADE? Well, I am. Even in the beautiful weather. "Seven days on the road and I ain't gonna be home tonight..." Wasn't that a country/western song? Oh, six days. Excuse me.

Even the short days seem long...

Inmate "oldgezzer's" place in southern Ohio...

I know it looks like every other picture I've taken, but OH 690 leading into Mike's place was simply stunning. Actually about a mile further along it was even prettier, but there was a car on my tail (single-lane construction delay) and I didn't feel I could slow for a pic.

OH 690 was pretty, and it was also TWISTY.

Another narrow, twisty gravel driveway, but lookit this beautiful place (only one view out of many I could have selected):

What a beautiful place...

Thought I'd died and gone to Heaven...and Wotan even felt snug in his own little place:

I hope Wotan is more "together" than I am...

In closing for the day...

I'm kinda bummed out, despite another pair of gracious hosts and a simply stunning location. I'm behind schedule (schedule? what schedule?) and will not make it to Killington, Vermont the day my week-long reservations starts. I thought 10 days would be enough, but I'm running out of gas (figuratively). All of my hosts in PA are too far to reach tomorrow, so I'll likely stay in a motel (not all bad, since sometimes it's good to have an evening alone).

There are several inmates (and friends) in NY that I could stay with, but I may not have time on the outbound leg. I feel like I didn't plan this trip very well. Like I said, kinda bummed.

Maybe a good night's sleep will help...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #73
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Good times!

Dr. Greg .... SO Glad you made it safely to your next point. I'm sure the cooler weather forecast the next few days will do you good. Don't push it, enjoy the trip. Pls keep up the great work on the pics and dialogue as you can. But I must say & I think all would agree even your poor pics (as you state) are better than my one handed shots. See ya down the road.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #74
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Dang, that IS a gorgeouos bike! I was riding the same roads you were, think I caught a glimpse of you in NM!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 AM   #75
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMotoMan View Post
Dang, that IS a gorgeouos bike! I was riding the same roads you were, think I caught a glimpse of you in NM!
Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I've always liked the appearance of R12GS's. And the GSW retains most of that appearance. Wotan thanks you for your impeccable taste

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)