User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Matt Meanders Mexico & 'Merica - WR250X

My job is terrible. Every 7 years they make you leave for 8 weeks. They call it a sabbatical. The only bonus to making me stay away from work is that they pay me during this time. If they're not going to let me work, then I'll show them, and tack a week of vacation on the end and stay away for 9 weeks. Take that work =P

So I can't go to work for 2 months. What to do with myself?

Motorcycle trip of course. Big road bike (FJR1300) or little sumo (WR250X)?
I can go far on the FJR, and I have in the past. This time I think I want to do something a little different. I want to have adventure and be able to go where ever I want, whenever I want. Sumo it is.

Where to go? I have a timeshare that works on a point system and I can go anywhere in their system as long as there is room. This means I look for somewhere I can ride to and back while taking my time.
Puerto Vallarta fits that bill nicely. I book the resort for 2 weeks after my sabbatical starts. That gives me plenty of time to meander on down and see some sights.

I have 3 solid dates. 1 - when sabbatical starts. 2- When I need to be in Puerto Vallarta. 3 - When I need to be back to work.

I have some stuff on my bike and I have my passport and debit cards. Sounds like enough planning to me.

This trip has already completed and I'm back home but I would like to give back to this great forum and share my adventures with you. Have a look at some teaser pics.

h2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,719
Go WaterBoy Go! Now where's my popcorn, I'll enjoy this one, now get busy man.

Sent from the hand of Throttlemeister.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike info -
It's a 2008 WR250X, Bought with 10k miles & 16181 miles at start of my trip 25016 miles at the end of the trip.

Upgrades by previous owner were:

FMF full exhaust
Fuel Injection Module - (Maybe a Power Commander, I've forgotten)
Fender eliminator
ProTaper Handle bars
Hand guards with integrated turn signals
Zeta Shorty Levers

Upgrades by Me:

A new saddle from Seat Concepts
Screen - MRA
IMS footpegs
Flatlands bash plate.
Pro Moto Rear rack
Powered Pelican 1450 case w/ quick disconnects to rear rack.
Giant Loop Coyote bag (yellow)
14/48 gearing (13/42 is stock)
IMS 4.9gal fuel tank - (200-325 mile range with this tank depending on right hand).
Shinko 244 Tires, with the rear changed to a Dunlop D606 when the Shinko needed to go.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
AUstate
n00b

Oddometer: 5
AUstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 Monday May 12

First day of big trip, first day of 2 months away from my home and friends in the Portland area.

I had a small headache. I feel a little stress mixed in with the excitement of heading out.
The headache gets worse fairly fast as I head away from home. I make a couple of stops on my way out of town due to adjustments I found I wanted to make to my packing and mounting of bags to the bike.

I stop for lunch in Sandy and can only finish half of my turkey sandwich. My headache is getting much worse. I must progress. I drink more water hoping it will help. I get part way up Mt Hood headed towards Government Camp and have to pull off at a campground. I become environmentally friendly and deposit the nutrients from my lunch into a fire pit. I feel a little better. I clean up and continue on up the hill. When I get to “Govy” (as the locals call it), I buy some aspirin and more water. I head out into the great unknown starting to feel some relief as I descend the east side of Mt Hood heading to Thye Valley.

I stop at Rock Creek reservoir to watch the geese and enjoy nature while I fully recover from the morning’s pain fest.

I have a theory that all of that pain was stress induced. I am heading away from my “stuff”, the place I call home. Even though I plan on seeing many family and friends while I’m on the road, this is the longest I’ll be away from “home” since summer breaks during high school. I’m not going to have anyone within minutes from my location, whom I consider friends or family for the majority of my time on the road.

Either that or it was from all the Sangria we drank the night before.

I continue on, travelling several nice roads before I arrive in Fossil OR for dinner. The waitress says “Our special tonight is Bacon wrapped “I’ll take it” sirloin”. It has 2 of my favorite things. Bacon and Wrapped. It was quite good although the garlic they stuffed between the steak and bacon almost over powered the bacon. I’m glad I like garlic.

After I gorge myself on meat, I then head to Bear Hollow camp ground just south of town to retire for the night.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
I'm in

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
subbed
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Critt
Gathering info

Oddometer: 114
Sub'd.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
Travism
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Matt Meanders Mexico & 'Merica - WR250X

I am *so* subscribed to this. You had me at the first teaser pic!

Plus you stopped in Fossil where I have family connections. I'm really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your adventure.
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2 Tuesday May 13

I wake up feeling fairly refreshed and ready to go. I head back into town for some breakfast. Today will be a day that I try and get into some dirt with the motorcycle. Adventure awaits.

My preferred method of finding adventure; select a point in the distance on the GPS, ensure I have it set to not avoid dirt roads and to take me the shortest route possible.

My GPS is a Garmin Nuvi designed for use in cars, not motorcycles. That being said, things that Garmin considers “roads” there is no way a 4 wheeled vehicle could follow.
I was mistaken in the amount of forward progress I would be able to make this day. When I first selected the point on the map and Garmin did it’s route thing, I was under the impression that I would be able to make it to Granite OR by 3 pm or so.
After following many cow paths, literally cow paths, and being blocked by many fences and gates, then traveling through the forest and getting stuck in a stream trying to reach a spot that Garmin says is a road, I finally make it to a real road. An over grown 2 track that hasn't seen a vehicle in a couple years, if I had to guess.

I follow that until it gets to a bigger road then a bigger one after that. I finally come to a sign that points me to FS-53, 7 miles to the north.

Screw Garmin, I’m following signs now not my electronic adventure finder.

Saw this sign after traveling up the cow path for a couple of miles. Pointing away from where I came from. There is more cow path ahead of me. How is a motorized vehicle going to get to this point with out coming down one of those??? OH Forest service, you're as fun as Garmin.

Here's a video I made of me finding adventure. Most of the video happened on this day.

I arrive in Ukiah OR a little before 6pm. I am surprised and relieved while sitting down for dinner when the waitress tells me that I’m in luck and that it’s taco Tuesday.

Somewhere during the last 2 days festivities I had lost a day. I needed to be at my parents’ house in Idaho on Wed and I was preparing myself for a long ride into the night in order to get there.
I don’t remember being that happy for a taco Tuesday, ever.

After my relief of discovering that it was Tuesday I decided to celebrate by heading down the road to Toll Bridge campground outside Dale OR and park myself for the night.

Tomorrows’ route should be easier. I’m not going to program Garmin for adventure mode, I have a route planned.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
Critt
Gathering info

So what happenned when it rained to the Nuvi?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critt View Post
So what happenned when it rained to the Nuvi?
I didn't get rained on very much. Sometimes I would leave it powered off, sometimes I would leave it powered on and sometimes I'd put it away. It all depended on how much rain was coming down.

There are several things you can do to make a Nuvi more water proof. Run a small bead of silicone around the edge of the screen and frame, tape over all holes, or just put a plastic bag over the whole thing. I didn't do any of those.

The only problem I had with the Nuvi was it would fail to charge on the bike about half way through the trip. This was due to the vibrations which caused the USB connection on the back to get out of tolerance. It would constantly lose connection and reconnect which would end up draining more than charging.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Critt
Gathering info

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oboy View Post
I didn't get rained on very much. Sometimes I would leave it powered off, sometimes I would leave it powered on and sometimes I'd put it away. It all depended on how much rain was coming down.

There are several things you can do to make a Nuvi more water proof. Run a small bead of silicone around the edge of the screen and frame, tape over all holes, or just put a plastic bag over the whole thing. I didn't do any of those.

The only problem I had with the Nuvi was it would fail to charge on the bike about half way through the trip. This was due to the vibrations which caused the USB connection on the back to get out of tolerance. It would constantly lose connection and reconnect which would end up draining more than charging.
Yes, GPS units (and most electronics) are not well suited to handle vibrations.

LOL @ "...or just put a plastic bag over the whole thing. I didn't do any of those."
Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
makad
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 278
great little mule

nicely loaded

makad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #15
borscht zanetti
Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer: 178
I am in !