Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #91
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxBiker View Post
Really enjoyed this ride report; almost felt like I was there. Appreciate Thrice sharing it. Matt, you did an awesome job of putting together your narrative and pix in a way that captivated my interest for most of this evening. Hoping to retrace some of the ground you covered after I retire in December. Will be headed to PV or maybe the Yucatan on my KLR. One thing I noticed was that you appeared to have packed much lighter than many. I know you took camping gear part of the way, but you definitely went on the light side, judging from your pix. My list will probably require panniers, a knapsack, tank bag, and God knows what else. Kidding! I need to pare my list down. Again, thoroughly enjoyed your post. BTW, I once was publisher of the newspaper in DeRidder, one of a number of pubs I ran in SW La. Have some relatives over there as well. Lots of pine trees. Not much else.

Wow GeauxBiker thanks. I can't handle many more compliments like that or my head's going to get to big for my helmet.

I did pack lightish. I'll do a gear list/review at the end I think.
While I did bring camping gear, I didn't bring anything for the cooking portion. I don't drink coffee and I figured I could always get food where ever I get gas if there were no restaurants or taco stands around.
h2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #92
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 28 Tuesday July 1

Green River UT to Nampa ID

We got up with the dawn again. We all had a big day ahead of us. Them on the TAT with a warning of lots of sand on Sams maps and me with almost 550 miles on my little 250.
We headed to the gas station to top off our tanks and our bellies and say our final "see ya laterz".....Hopefully....

I headed north and noticed that it was rather chilly. I turned on my heated grips and shivered my way through the mountains all the way to Provo.

As I was coming into Provo I heard a pop. I pulled over and noticed that my stainless zipties had popped. I made my way to the nearest hardware store and bought myself a nice big clamp to tie the pipe to the bracket again.
Topped off with gas, got a drink and tightened my chain. Crap was it loose. Not this shit again. The rear sprocket is showing a lot of wear and my chain is getting sloppy.
I head on towards Idaho. Cross the border and top off my gas and again tighten my chain. I hope it makes it all the way home.
I get in between Mountain Home and Boise and I hear a lot of racket and some weird thumps. I immediately pull over. This stretch of road either loves or hates me. I got my flat tire not to far away from this spot while I was headed south.
I look at my chain, it is so loose it swung sideways and hit the side of my tire and cut the corner off of all the knobs on that side. The sprocket isn't going to make it to Portland. Hell, I hope it makes it to Nampa.
I also found that my muffler bracket was no longer mounted to my bike. It had come loose and slid down the pipe a little bit and wedged itself between the Giant Loop bag and my plastics with the clamp still holding in onto the pipe. I pulled the bracket out and put it in my bag.
I hop back on the bike and head for Boise. Gotta hit up some moto shops and hope someone has a chain and sprockets that will work to get me home.
First stop was Big Twin. No dice. They did send me to Moto One right down the street from them. They look to specialize more in dirt bikes. They did have a front sprocket but not a rear that would work. I told them about my pipe and they offered to rivet it back together. Why, Yes I would like that, thank you. After BS'n with them in the shop they weren't going to charge me for the repair. I felt kinda guilty so I bought some more chain lube. I then loaded up the bike and headed for the Yamaha dealer.
I got to Yamaha and they didn't have anything in stock for my bike...grrrrr

Luckily there is a Cycle Gear right next door. The same Cycle Gear that I had returned the piece of crap Bilt Explorer pants to. They did have a chain and sprockets that would work. But Crap I should have bought the 14 tooth front sprocket at Moto One. Too late to make it back over there now and I'm headed in the other direction.
Looks like i'm running 13/48 all the way home.

Loaded back up and headed to my parents house in Nampa.
I made it successfully, said my hellos and gave hugs then changed out the chain and sprockets for a second time on this trip. Alloy sprockets suck ass in case you were wondering.
Sorry about no photo's it was either too boring or I was too pissed off to think about taking pics.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #93
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Hey Matt, Is this ride over?
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #94
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
Hey Matt, Is this ride over?
I still have one more day I need to post of this ride but I've been slacking a whole lot.

Heading to WetFest tomorrow morning so it'll prob be next week before I actually get back to posting it.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #95
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oboy View Post
I still have one more day I need to post of this ride but I've been slacking a whole lot.

Heading to WetFest tomorrow morning so it'll prob be next week before I actually get back to posting it.

Thanks for the update. Whats Wetfest?
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #96
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
Thanks for the update. Whats Wetfest?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996096

Annual ADV camp out for the Pacific NorthWest

Pics from Scott PDX on a different Wetfest thread. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=333

h2oboy screwed with this post 09-07-2014 at 10:20 PM