Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #151
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefy_jefy View Post
Are all cruisers bad, or just HDs? I have a cruiser (non HD) and a vintage bike, haven't noticed much difference in wave activity, I usually wave unless I am busy. But it can get a bit tedious in California in the summer.
Not all HD riders are arrogant d-bags, the ones that are just seem to stand out for some reason. I'm sure there are plenty of a-holes riding metric sports bikes and latte racers as well, perhaps they just go past too quickly to be noticed.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #152
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Not completely related but since we're waving our hands around, I do have a question: if tapping one's helmet indicates a cop ahead, how would one signal "thanks for warning me"? And while we're on the subject, what do you do if you encounter a bike coming the other way with an inoperative headlight? I flash my brights and point to my headlight but I don't think it's quite communicating my intent.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #153
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly View Post
Not completely related but since we're waving our hands around, I do have a question: if tapping one's helmet indicates a cop ahead, how would one signal "thanks for warning me"? And while we're on the subject, what do you do if you encounter a bike coming the other way with an inoperative headlight? I flash my brights and point to my headlight but I don't think it's quite communicating my intent.

The real question is, after signalling there are police ahead and in receiving a thank you signal in return, how do you signal further "you're welcome for the warning, how's ya mama durrin?"
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #154
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,563
Seems like Morse code could be used here.
Vanishing Point is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #155
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Hit the brakes. He'll see your tail lights in the mirror and know his warning was observed. A thumbs up maybe? Do you even have time to get in a thanks when the both of you are at speed? He's speeding because the cop is "back there" and warning you because you're speeding towards him

Don't some bikes had a headlight switch? I know mine came equipped with switches in euro-trim. My ninja has a relay to turn the light on only after the starter button is pressed and released. If you bump start it, it won't come on until you thumb the starter.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #156
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
Hit the brakes. He'll see your tail lights in the mirror and know his warning was observed. A thumbs up maybe? Do you even have time to get in a thanks when the both of you are at speed? He's speeding because the cop is "back there" and warning you because you're speeding towards him

Don't some bikes had a headlight switch? I know mine came equipped with switches in euro-trim. My ninja has a relay to turn the light on only after the starter button is pressed and released. If you bump start it, it won't come on until you thumb the starter.
Doesn't all this seem to over complicate things just a bit? Most of the time someone taps their helmet I either don't ever see the cop or they already have someone pulled over - making the "warning" useless. I stopped bothering waving a while ago. Unless I know you, it doesn't really matter. I will wave at motorcycle cops, usually get a wave back. Why? I think they do a good job, they keep the squids more or less in line.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #157
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Not all HD riders are arrogant d-bags, the ones that are just seem to stand out for some reason. I'm sure there are plenty of a-holes riding metric sports bikes and latte racers as well, perhaps they just go past too quickly to be noticed.
thats right! a-holes...and according to this guy "dickheads and motherfudgers," too!

not to mention folks throwing kittens in ovens and calling 'em biscuits! so why you gonna wave at them dumbshits!

the fun and sensibility starts at around the 2:00 mark but i'd watch the whole thing as attitude counts lol

i like this guy. what a riot....

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 05:49 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #158
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Oh man! That makes me want to buy a Harley.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #159
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

That guy really loves to ride the shoulder and lane edges for some reason.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #160
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
That guy really loves to ride the shoulder and lane edges for some reason.
My guess he's riding with a buddy and is making the stagger easier.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #161
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
My guess he's riding with a buddy and is making the stagger easier.
Perhaps... but there still isn't a need to go that far over. Looked like he was riding in the bicycle lane a couple times. I see people ride solo like that all the time and it makes me cringe. With all that room in the lane, why put yourself so close to the edge - even closer to the other cars?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #162
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
thats right! a-holes...and according to this guy "dickheads and motherfudgers," too!

not to mention folks throwing kittens in ovens and calling 'em biscuits! so why you gonna wave at them dumbshits!

the fun and sensibility starts at around the 2:00 mark but i'd watch the whole thing as attitude counts lol

That's about an hour from where I grew up.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #163
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Had an odd one today;
I am out on my lunchtime bicycle ride, a sportbike with two people comes from the other way, driver's left hand goes down like he's going to wave. Odd, but I get waves occasionally from motos.
But instead of a wave, he puts his arm back around his pillion's leg.

Not sure if he was trying to keep her from jumping off and ravishing me, or what
filmfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #164
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,793
Quote:
Just a wave at least gives them a friendly response for making the effort. What you do with the warning really doesn't matter to them.

A flash of the high beams may or may not cause them to discover the faulty light. It is a tough message to get across. Some older bikes have optional headlights, so they may just have them turned off.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #165
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post

"If you are a dickhead or a motherfucker... you should probably stay outa my way"
I like his style!