Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
If they ignored him it would be one thing, but they are instead deliberately making a gesture of disrespect.

Rather than making an issue out of it I'd suggest just ignoring them. If that's their attitude they're not worth your time.
True, or it was something completely misinterpreted. If that, then it really isn't worth the effort. Maybe they were scratching their knees... who knows! Even if they did "diss" the guy, who cares? Is that really worth the effort either? Just ride and have fun instead of pushing values and perceived "attitude" on others. I've had plenty wave at me even when they were being asses, so a wave doesn't really have much meaning to me in the first place.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
Biomed Guy OP
Socially Inept

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
True, or it was something completely misinterpreted. If that, then it really isn't worth the effort. Maybe they were scratching their knees... who knows! Even if they did "diss" the guy, who cares? Is that really worth the effort either? Just ride and have fun instead of pushing values and perceived "attitude" on others. I've had plenty wave at me even when they were being asses, so a wave doesn't really have much meaning to me in the first place.
I came her with a question about the meaning of the hand movement. In one post I stated at least one of us is enjoying the ride. Note: should've clarified, due to interweb misinterpretations, At least one, should be taken as one, possibly more. Perhaps, 'at the least, one of us' would have been more appropriate, my bad. Like I said, not a mind reader, I don't know intentions, just wondering the meaning. Jokingly mentioned returning a diss, apparently that is offensive to some in an otherwise unoffending world. Sorry, question answered. You all may continue on your way.

P.S. : sdmichael, in another post you were talking about splitting a group of H-D riders, and you appeared, in the words you used in your post, to be upset they didn't even acknowledge you. Maybe your rant is not about me, but about you? Projecting a little, are we?

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #18
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
P.S. : sdmichael, in another post you were talking about splitting a group of H-D riders, and you appeared, in the words you used in your post, to be upset they didn't even acknowledge you. Maybe your rant is not about me, but about you? Projecting a little, are we?
Umm... no. In that case, they (the guys on cruisers not necessarily HD) were blocking me (even when aware of my presence) and yelled at me when I finally got by. It was also in heavy traffic where I was splitting lanes and they were not (and were riding in a manner that made it rather difficult to pass). Either way, it has nothing to do with someone waving or not waving.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #19
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Umm... no. In that case, they (the guys on cruisers not necessarily HD) were blocking me (even when aware of my presence) and yelled at me when I finally got by. It was also in heavy traffic where I was splitting lanes and they were not (and were riding in a manner that made it rather difficult to pass). Either way, it has nothing to do with someone waving or not waving.
What about this is eluding you?

-OP waves.

-Other rider sees him wave.

-Other rider moves hand from handlebar to knee.

-This happens repeatedly.

This is different from just not waving...
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Biomed Guy OP
Socially Inept

Quote:
Can't we all get along? Peace, love and all that other crap. Tell you what, if you are even in Michigan, let me know, I'll ride out and buy you a beer. Hell, I won't even wave, either.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
haystack
Just ride

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Lighten up, Francis....
5. The Geek - Left hand raised high in the air as if to say, "Hi mom!" This one is specifically reserved for the new rider, who is "SO excited to be one of the gang!" Also may be seen being used by Moped or scooter riders. Recommendation: Just don't.
Quote:
German W.O.D. Certified
2014 Winner of the Biggest Potato in Jersey
haystack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Biomed Guy OP
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack View Post
5. The Geek - Left hand raised high in the air as if to say, "Hi mom!" This one is specifically reserved for the new rider, who is "SO excited to be one of the gang!" Also may be seen being used by Moped or scooter riders. Recommendation: Just don't.
That is the one I use for the little kids riding their bikes on the sidewalks when riding through town. Just trying to send out some happy vibes. Like when I drove truck, let the air horn go for the kids in the car. A little acknowledgement goes a long way.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
AldoM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Watching so of these guys mid turn take there hand off the bar just to wave is just stupid.

When i leave the house for my ride ill wave to everyone. On the way home when im tired i dont wave to anyone. Im worn out and couldnt give a shit. Im riding in northern nj and the only people who dont wave around these parts are the tough guy harley riders.

The guy usually holding up a line of traffic.
AldoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 628
The Wave is a conundrum. Some people enjoy it, some are indifferent, and some don't like it (or see a point to it.) I don't want to spoil the fun for the ones who like to wave and I don't want to be a pain in the ass to those who don't like to. Simple solution I've adopted is, if they wave I return it. If they don't, I don't. Everyone is happy, and if everyone would follow my ever-so-wise lead, no one would be waving and we could just ride.

I do initiate the wave to any and all scooters and moped simply because they so often look pleasantly surprised. Also, kids get a wave if they are staring, especially Amish kids.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
moreair
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
It is disrespectful, but necessary to uphold their Son's of Anarchy fantasies.

Or, maybe they snub you, because your loan payment isn't as high as theirs. You do know the ability to sign loan paperwork at a HD dealership makes you an instant bad azz?
moreair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
I've been riding most of my life, but only about 15 years on the street. I ride in areas full of other riders because we have a shortish season I suppose. There is a lot of waving going on. Sometimes even across the Interstate center barrier!

Frankly I rarely return a wave to anybody. I don't have an 'attitude' about it. I don't really want to be rude. But I don't want to be spending my seat time looking for other motorcyclists who might wave at me.

At least most of the pirates ignore us dual sport riders, so to me that is a gift. Totally guilt free non-waving.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,740
I wave if I'm not busy and see the other guy in time. Don't really care what they do. But will admit a return wave is nice.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #28
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystack View Post
Towards the end of a long distance solo trips I start waving like that

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #29
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,854
I was stranded on a stretch of desert highway last week, minus a rear wheel while my buddies took it to the nearest town to get air; i would estimate at least a hundred "bikers", maybe much more, passed, tunes and loud exhausts blaring, and only one , a German guy on a KLR, offered assistance...

the brotherhood of bikers? pulhleeze...

tinybrainedanimalfoodtroughwipers, I wave at no one, unless they wave first, screw 'em.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #30
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 339
I wave just to see who's gay and who's not! Most gay guys ride Harleys
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote