Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #46
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
When people don't wave I assume they are doing something important... like paying attention to the traffic around them.

How can I pay attention to traffic when I'm busy texting?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #47
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
The Wave is a conundrum. Some people enjoy it, some are indifferent, and some don't like it (or see a point to it.) I don't want to spoil the fun for the ones who like to wave and I don't want to be a pain in the ass to those who don't like to. Simple solution I've adopted is, if they wave I return it. If they don't, I don't. Everyone is happy, and if everyone would follow my ever-so-wise lead, no one would be waving and we could just ride.

I do initiate the wave to any and all scooters and moped simply because they so often look pleasantly surprised. Also, kids get a wave if they are staring, especially Amish kids.
Perfect! I do the same. Well, mostly, I don't wave to the scooters and mopeds unless they wave first.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #48
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,375
judging by many of the responses in this thread, is it any surprise that Harley guys wouldn't want to wave at people that they believe don't like them? if you guys have such disdain for HD riders , why worry so much about them validating your existence?

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #49
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I get waves on my mostly naked Helix on the highways and will wave back.
What cracks me up is when some under-dressed guy on a cruiser does an obvious take-back as his face changes from burr-up-the-butt scowl to truly horrified from the realization that he waved at someone on a scooter.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #50
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Here's thought. Why not just concentrate on the ride, and spend less time wringing your hands over silly shit like who waves, and who doesn't. Or the even more abstract, how they wave, or how they don't wave? Some of you guys really know how to remove the enjoyment from your riding experience. Good grief!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #51
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
i wave to everyone on two or three wheels and a motor. i find it interesting to see the reactions. the vast majority of riders wave back in one way or another. i sometimes wave to bicyclists, too. they generally don't wave back. i think they just don't understand what is going on.

i had a guy with harley stickers on his pickup wave at me out his window the other day. that was a new one. i waved back. in general, though, my plated KTM seems to get riders of all sorts a bit excited/intrigued.

i also make eye contact with and say hi to most people i walk past in opposite directions on sidewalks. that's where the real fun is. the different reactions are fascinating. some people just get very intent about staring off into the distance or down at the ground and pretending you aren't there. other people seem pleasantly surprised that a stranger said hi to them. and others act like it's an expected thing. it's a fun exercise to try to predict how people are going to react.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #52
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I wave most of the time unless I'm busy clutching of something else. Most waves I get are arm pointed down with index finger out what ever that means.
Both of my vehicles have waves.

And

Most of the newer snob jeep owners dont wave
Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #53
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,660
Gee, cruiser/pirate/Harley riders almost always wave at me when I'm on my Goldwing.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #54
Tenerefeller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
That's cause they know naked gold wings are the coolest! I wave the hardest when it's pissing rain sideways in December and I see another rider, because I know that we are both stupid/nuts/kindred spirits or whatever and maybe because we could become blood brothers if the temp dropped another point or two!
Tenerefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #55
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerefeller View Post
That's cause they know naked gold wings are the coolest! I wave the hardest when it's pissing rain sideways in December and I see another rider, because I know that we are both stupid/nuts/kindred spirits or whatever and maybe because we could become blood brothers if the temp dropped another point or two!
Yeah, blood brothers after one of you cuts the other open and crawls inside the corpse for warmth....
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #56
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
How many of you believe this is real?
It's on the internet, so it must be. Oh,and my Avast AV program says it blocked an infection from that site. Just an FYI.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #57
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
. Is it a suble way to say I see you but I don't formally acknowledge you? Wave or no wave, don't care, just wondering if there is a meaning. Educate me, I'm a noob.
Yep, that's exactly what it is.
For more interesting reading, go to Jo Momma and read the thread I started titled "Puck Harley Riders!".
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #58
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
Who is to say the other isn't enjoying their ride? Why assume that?
I really don't think they enjoy riding very much....I mean, why else are they always scowling at everyone and everything? Oh, that's right, scowling immediately makes them a badass...
Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #59
Tenerefeller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Yeah, blood brothers after one of you cuts the other open and crawls inside the corpse for warmth....
Only if we're on hoth!
Tenerefeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #60
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Geez I just learned that I've been a geek for the past 35 years, now I have to adjust my "wave" just to be cool.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote