ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #91
kerhonky
Adventure Poser
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Selkirk, NY
Oddometer: 1,136
__________________
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #92
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,312
I often ride with my hand on my knee, and I usually give a big five fingered dorky wave just cause.

If you're taking it personal that someone else doesn't wave back, or gives you a pirate diss, you're doing it wrong. Ride to have fun, fuck what anyone else thinks.
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #93
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I often ride with my hand on my knee, and I usually give a big five fingered dorky wave just cause.

If you're taking it personal that someone else doesn't wave back, or gives you a pirate diss, you're doing it wrong. Ride to have fun, fuck what anyone else thinks.
+1 on both points.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #94
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,758
I figured it out!

We have our middle finger advrider salute, right. It signifies that we just don't give a shit or whatever.

Well the cruiserforum guys have one too apparently. Theirs signifies "come sit on my lap"...






High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #95
markk53
jack of all trades...
 
markk53's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Delaware Ohio
Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyboy View Post
Yesterday I saw a kid looking despondent in the back seat of a car with his family, staring at me as I rode by. He lit up when I waved at him.

Wanna really trip their triggers, give 'em the He Man Woman Haters Club hi sign:



Really gives 'em the giggles!
__________________
Ever get lost? You know, that good kind of lost - come to a dirt road intersection and you have no idea where you are or which way to turn? I like when that happens!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #96
rbrsddn
3banger
 
rbrsddn's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Madison,CT
Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyboy View Post
Yesterday I saw a kid looking despondent in the back seat of a car with his family, staring at me as I rode by. He lit up when I waved at him.
Awesome! I was coming back from Woodmans in Essex, Mass http://www.woodmans.com/ with my Parents, and my sister, in something like 1967, and I saw about 100 Hells Angels pulled over on the side of Rte 128! I don't remember what car we were in, but wherever it is, there is a permanent imprint of my face on the passenger side rear window!!! It was so fookin cool!!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #97
Tenerefeller
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Location: Astoria, OR
Oddometer: 28
Did they have Starbucks back then? Where could they have been going?
Tenerefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #98
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: here, there, everywhere
Oddometer: 1,684

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #99
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Because your high beams are on.
Not mine.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #100
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenerefeller View Post
Did they have Starbucks back then? Where could they have been going?
HA don't ride BMW.



__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #101
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,133
We seem to have the same issues here with waving, although few thousand miles away. Whether the cruiser riders wave at the sport bikes or vice versa. Looks to me like it really worries some people. You must have e really low self esteem if someone doesn't wave and it bothers you.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #102
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
We seem to have the same issues here with waving, although few thousand miles away. Whether the cruiser riders wave at the sport bikes or vice versa. Looks to me like it really worries some people. You must have e really low self esteem if someone doesn't wave and it bothers you.
It is funny about that... mostly about how it seems to worry others. Considering the places I've seen others wave (freeway interchanges, divided highways with trees in the median, other limited visibility places), you would think there was some committee to report to about who waved and who didn't.
__________________
Exploring California by motorcycle and bicycle, one road at time.
socalregion.com
sdmichael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #103
kerhonky
Adventure Poser
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Selkirk, NY
Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
It is funny about that... mostly about how it seems to worry others. Considering the places I've seen others wave (freeway interchanges, divided highways with trees in the median, other limited visibility places), you would think there was some committee to report to about who waved and who didn't.
I think you're kind of blowing out proportion the degree to which others are blowing this out of proportion. The OP didn't write some whine-filled missal about how badly his feelings were hurt. He just asked a question about what the gesture may or may not have meant. None of the responses have said anything like "when I wave and someone doesn't wave back I have to schedule three extra sessions with my analyst just to feel worthy of human contact again," or if they have it's been fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Quite frankly, I think your inference that any of this "worries" anybody is an exaggeration. Most of the conversation has been observational, not judgmental. It's all just stuff people notice, the same way you'd notice if you said hello to someone you passed in the hallway and they completely ignored you. Nothing to get your panties in a wad about, but you'd probably notice it.
__________________
You learn something new every day if you're not careful.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #104
ShOqUePoT
GS Pot
 
ShOqUePoT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: The VT of MA
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
I think you're kind of blowing out proportion the degree to which others are blowing this out of proportion. The OP didn't write some whine-filled missal about how badly his feelings were hurt. He just asked a question about what the gesture may or may not have meant. None of the responses have said anything like "when I wave and someone doesn't wave back I have to schedule three extra sessions with my analyst just to feel worthy of human contact again," or if they have it's been fairly obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Quite frankly, I think your inference that any of this "worries" anybody is an exaggeration. Most of the conversation has been observational, not judgmental. It's all just stuff people notice, the same way you'd notice if you said hello to someone you passed in the hallway and they completely ignored you. Nothing to get your panties in a wad about, but you'd probably notice it.
Yes...more curiosity than worry I would think.
ShOqUePoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #105
henshao
Bained
 
henshao's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: The Commonwealth
Oddometer: 607
Nah, if someone doesn't wave back at me I hunt them down and drown them in my tears.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014