Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post

Seriously though, thanks for doing this. I've thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger. Definitely need more riders and riders who know what the hell they're doing.
Actual unretouched image of me in a 3/4 helmet:

vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
Actual unretouched image of me in a 3/4 helmet:

Perfect!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #18
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
I'm going to be doing some serious prep work this week, in preparation for next weekend's first experience with 'real' students on the range. Obviously I'll just be focusing on the range exercises, but in general, am I correct in thinking that 95% (at least) of my studying should focus on the range, not the classroom?

One other thing I've discovered, besides the fact that ADVRider converts all-caps to lowercase in thread titles: Post-It notes do not adhere well to range cards. They seemed like a good idea at the time... until they started fluttering all over the range.

And finally, we'll be doing our written and riding evaluations next weekend too. I'm not particularly worried about either.
If the RCP KT is the same as the one I took back in 2011, have each exercise number and name memorized. The name will help clue you in on the more detailed questions regarding the purpose of the exercises. There are some other things on the test that I believe asked about learning styles and some classroom stuff, but the thing that stuck out most to me was needing to know exercise numbers/names.

Post Its... I used them and it rained. The ink from the notes is now permanently transferred to my cards. BTW, the range cards are not as waterproof as you think they are. If they get wet, dry them as soon as you can.

On the range (some of this may not apply as here in VA we have a very strict guide for the range):
Big and Loud. Big obvious hand gestures to signal the students. Loud, projecting voice to make sure all 12 can hear you. **
RTFC
Make sure the students are in a good spot to watch the demo (here in VA, we're actually dictated as to where the students must stand for each demo).
Demo FINE-C each and every time you start that demo ride and make sure you take 3-4 power walk steps.
Over emphasize all motions (i.e. head turns, checking for cross/opposite traffic, counterweight, etc).
If you're having fun while riding the demo, you need to slow down.
And of utmost importance: range safety. A RC friend of mine got gigged because the reversal for 7 didn't go exactly right (student stalled and lead rider was coming around; potential head on collision; they told him he should've blown his whistle as soon as he saw the situation unfolding).

** I'm 5'3"... just a petite Asian woman. Whenever I coach with someone for the first time, I always get: "Wow... I underestimated you. I was concerned you were going to be this quiet, demure thing but no.... holy hell you're loud!"

As for your shirt, the Febreze Sport spray is amazing stuff.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #19
justafurnaceman
Imaginary

Oddometer: 959
I started to put my paperwork in to be a RC since I'll have more time off with my new position. I like the idea of giving back to the motorcycle community.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
On the range cards: Write on them in pencil. It doesn't fade or bleed but can be erased easily.
NOTE: I wrote the objectives for each exercise RATIONALE on my range cards in pencil. In several cases, those objectives are different than the ones read to the students. In the RCG Rationales, these start, "It is important that...".

Valker screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 01:45 PM
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,029
Here's something to remember when you are being evaluated. Their job is to find things wrong. They will find them. Smile, move your head vertically, practice saying, "Outstanding! That's a great idea! Thanks!" Debate or discussion will simply lead to more things being found wrong. It's kinda like an IG inspection in the military.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Make sure the students are in a good spot to watch the demo (here in VA, we're actually dictated as to where the students must stand for each demo).
Speaking of positioning: when you're doing simulated practice, do you "mirror" the actions? For example, do you demonstrate clutching with your right hand (which is on the same side as the left hands of the students watching on their bikes), or do you use your left hand and just trust that they'll use their left hands too?

That question came up repeatedly the other day, and we never did resolve it. There were a few moments when I turned my back on them and used the proper hands, and spoke to them over my shoulder, but obviously that's not ideal.

Thanks again for all the tips! My favorite part of your most recent post was where you emphasized the importance of doing exactly what we expect the students to do. <-- Note response to learner-centered question.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
I started to put my paperwork in to be a RC since I'll have more time off with my new position. I like the idea of giving back to the motorcycle community.

I'm actually thinking that being an RC might enable me, in a few years' time, to go freelance on my current job.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #24
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Speaking of positioning: when you're doing simulated practice, do you "mirror" the actions? For example, do you demonstrate clutching with your right hand (which is on the same side as the left hands of the students watching on their bikes), or do you use your left hand and just trust that they'll use their left hands too?
Never use the wrong hand. Use your left hand, otherwise if they mess up it's YOUR fault. Also, you could turn around while showing hand movements. Or your second coach (if you have one) could be turned around showing the hand movements while you read the cards.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #25
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Never use the wrong hand. Use your left hand, otherwise if they mess up it's YOUR fault. Also, you could turn around while showing hand movements. Or your second coach (if you have one) could be turned around showing the hand movements while you read the cards.
I remember a story once told to me about how a student was just not grasping the concept of the press/lean. The RC held his open hands up in front of him, palms toward the student and demonstrated a press.

Sure as shit, student rolls by him, opens her hands and presses the grip with her palm.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Speaking of positioning: when you're doing simulated practice, do you "mirror" the actions?
Actually, not really. I tell them "Assume good riding posture" and then go into the SP. If it's one of the multitude of press/lean, I may hold my fists up in front of me to demonstrate the press and I'll lean in the direction with them.

Another trick I use to help students out... if someone just isn't grasping the press/lean (i.e, they're just turning the bars), straddle the front wheel, holding it with your legs. Then tell the student to press forward on the right grip and feel the bike lean to the right.

Yes... I have lots and lots of bruises on my legs during training season.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And another thing: this morning I found myself saying "slow, look, press, roll" while riding to work.

Well, in the corners anyway.

vaara screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 03:31 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #28
drakehouse
Burnin' & Turnin'

Oddometer: 120
course completion - conclusion?

Well?

Are you certified as a RC?

Welcome to the fold.

Try an remember that even as an RC you are still learning with every class taught. Approach each class like each student - all unique - all individual - There will be simularities. Fight urges to stereotype.

Self evaluate often to see where or how things can improve for the student and also for your teaching style.
Remember...don't get too emotional , keep it simple & have a good time.

The students read you as much as you read them.

Best to swim against the curent than float down stream
drakehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #29
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still working on it. Today is range session #2 with volunteer students. Two of them washed out during #2 yesterday ... it was pretty painful to watch, but we all got some useful "what not to do" lessons.

But we all passed the written eval, so there's that.

One more day of range practice, including riding evals (theirs and ours), then next weekend we do it all for real!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #30
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Exercise #2 gets a lot of people. Most RCCs think it is easy, whereas most experienced RCs see how crucial a proper Exercise #2 is to the rest of the exercises.