Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,066
I was once getting ready to pull a right out of an Autozone one evening, onto a street that had poor lighting. It was a dark night and there was a bit of traffic. I saw an opening, and started feeding in throttle while easing out the clutch, when I thought something didn't seem quite right. I pulled in the clutch and mashed the brake pedal just before my front wheel went out into the street. Some asshole came flying past in a matte-black riced Civic with no fucking lights on.

Where's a cop when you need one? They're probably too busy somewhere else, pulling over speeders for going 10 over...milking the cash cow.

I try to check everything twice now, especially when visibility is poor.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 10:21 AM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Simple, really. Given the light, road conditions, etc. my wife saw a saxophone player and I saw a woman's face.

I don't run over women or saxophone players. Light and road conditions don't change in the 30 inches between driver passenger. The difference is the inches between the ears. You were looking for a chance to pass, she was probably looking not to crash.

When you try to pass multiple cars, you remove your margin of error and these things happen. I thought you posted this as a warning... Why try to justify a mistake? Anybody who drives those roads has been on the other end of the same situation.
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #18
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
I don't run over women or saxophone players. Light and road conditions don't change in the 30 inches between driver passenger. The difference is the inches between the ears. You were looking for a chance to pass, she was probably looking not to crash.

When you try to pass multiple cars, you remove your margin of error and these things happen. I thought you posted this as a warning... Why try to justify a mistake? Anybody who drives those roads has been on the other end of the same situation.
Some truth here and some ignorance.

Truth: passing multiple cars reduces your margin of error. After looking to see what was coming (two cars, one following the other), judged the distance (sufficiently far away to safely pass), and was in the passing lane my attention was split between oncoming traffic and the vehicles I was passing, watching for one of them to make a pass without seeing me. Also, once we were in the left lane I'm sure my wife's attention was fully on the oncoming traffic.

Ignorance: since you weren't there you don't know what I saw. The two bikes were black Harley FLSCHXWTF baggers with the riders all in black. Against the black hot summer shimmering asphalt the bikes were invisible. All I could see were the two headlights each. No trees, hills, buildings, or anything else around to provide distance perspective.

I expect that if either motorcycle or rider had had any contrasting colors, or if either had anything other than just the two closely spaced headlights I would have seen them for what they were.

I was being careful. I had the woman I love and two good friends with me but I made a mistake. I mis-perceived the visual cues in front of me and caused some unwelcome excitement for a bunch of people.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #19
LudemJo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I think it is safe to say that we all have made mistakes when driving our cars and riding our bikes. I think the OP is trying to give us another example of some of the stuff that can happen. There is no doubt that he made a mistake, and it ended well this time, but it could have been horrible. Even motorcycle riders in cages can make mistakes sometimes that we all bitch about on here.

Thanks OP for bringing this up, if it helps just one person take a second look and avoid an accident it will be worth it.

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Quote:

Ignorance: since you weren't there you don't know what I saw. The two bikes were black Harley FLSCHXWTF baggers with the riders all in black. Against the black hot summer shimmering asphalt the bikes were invisible. All I could see were the two headlights each. No trees, hills, buildings, or anything else around to provide distance perspective.

I expect that if either motorcycle or rider had had any contrasting colors, or if either had anything other than just the two closely spaced headlights I would have seen them for what they were.

I was being careful. I had the woman I love and two good friends with me but I made a mistake. I mis-perceived the visual cues in front of me and caused some unwelcome excitement for a bunch of people.
I see what you are saying. It's a good point about how a rider can appear to others on the road.
DesertTortoise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #21
Ernest T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
If you were paying attention your wife wouldn't have said a word. Seeing is different than looking. See dammit.
that's not how it works in my house.....
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Dude, if you are going to go into oncoming traffic to make a pass, you should double check *twice* and then haul ass and get it over with ASAP. That is, check four fucking times before you even begin to be in a position to cause a head on collision.

At least, that's what I do
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
I see what you are saying. It's a good point about how a rider can appear to others on the road.

I see what he's saying too. It was the rider's fault for being there when he wanted to pass. It was the rider's fault that they were on Harley's too being "black Harley FLSCHXWTF baggers". 2 bikes taking up as much or more space than a car would have and having 4 headlights.

Tunnel vision, plain and simple. Looking to make the pass. Hell, I've done it on the bike. Just don't blame the riders because you failed to see.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #24
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Nothing new under the sun.
The 1929 Harley's had dual headlights.
It was a 2 year deal and they went back to a single headlight.
I've read where the reason was just what you encountered.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not putting any blame on anyone but myself. As a long time rider I surprised myself to be in the situation and thought I'd share the story.

Y'all are welcome to take anything you want from this. Check more critically before making a move, think about how your motorcycle and gear appear to others in different situations, or remember there are careless asshats like me sharing the same road. All are good lessons. It doesn't matter to me.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,964
Hell, when I'm toodling down a two lane and see a train headed up by a driver too douchey to yield a pass coming my way, I shift over into the right track and anticipate a frustrated driver to pull out.

This can also go in that other thread
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #27
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Not putting any blame on anyone but myself. As a long time rider I surprised myself to be in the situation and thought I'd share the story.

Y'all are welcome to take anything you want from this. Check more critically before making a move, think about how your motorcycle and gear appear to others in different situations, or remember there are careless asshats like me sharing the same road. All are good lessons. It doesn't matter to me.
rest assured, I am fit to judge you and am doing so
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #28
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
doing the math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
The Saturn has lights closer together than normal too, this could make it appear farther away. Be more careful passing, don't be in a hurry. You will live longer.

Its very difficult to judge speed when you are moving quite fast as well. If all you can see are lights and road shimmer, I would think its impossible to judge. If those bikes happened to be moving at 100+mph, it could have been very bad.

Recently, I was passing on the right in a 4 lane, 65mph divided hwy. Car in the left lane, doing just under the limit. I was on the bike, with a passenger. Checked mirrors, head checked and saw a car, maybe 10 car lengths back in the right lane. I down shifted and came over, checking my mirrors again as I killed the signal. The Crown Vic was coming fast, nearly on us. I pinned it and darted in front of the car I was passing, barely missing it. The retired police cruiser shot past in the right lane. Without the triple check, and downshift, we would likely have been splattered. Look twice and check again, live another day.
Passing is great. The few seconds you gain in each passing maneuver add up to several lifetimes by the time you reach middle age.

scootrboi screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 07:09 AM
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #29
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
rest assured, I am fit to judge you and am doing so
A rare combination here on ADVRider.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #30
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
We are all getting older. Had your eyes checked lately? It might be time for glasses or a new prescription. The wife might have better vision enabling her to notice the details correctly.

Enough sleep the previous night? It doesn't take much eye strain to miss things. You might not have seen the situation accurately enough to judge it in the required time frame. You as the driver are constantly staring into the heat mirage, whereas your wife is checking the situation with fresh eyes ("fresh" meaning rested from the ability to look around, not strained by a constant task).

I wouldn't typically blame the headlight configuration because anything different should be a reason to check carefully (due to there being a difference). I mean this as a rider, since we typically notice bikes with single headlights or closely spaced twin headlights.
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote