Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Zebedee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Looking for an aluminium fabricator Hamilton/Akl ...

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get a luggage rack (or possibly two) made up so I got the local NALCO outfit to give me a price.

... but the price came back at a jaw dropping $726 inc gst for two.

Quote:
Material $180 (840 x 870 x 5.0 th 5058)

Bending - $ 103.50 for 2 pieces

Routering - $160 for 2 pieces

Anodising 12 microns - $ 283 for 2 pieces
The parts themselves are 500 x 425 before bending, and the linework is available in dwg/dxf, etc, etc ...

I'm new to getting bits of Ally cut and bent in this part of the world, but it strikes me that it shouldn't cost anywhere near what the quote came back at.

So, can anybody direct me somewhere that might be able to do a half-decent job of some simple Ally fab work at a sensible price, preferably Hamilton or South Auckland ...

John
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
BOETJE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I've had good experience with these guys :

http://www.precisionlasercutting.co.nz/

Since you already have a 3 D model by the look of it , you just have to make the drawing , and send it to them in DXF format. Ask for a quote for 5 and 10 or such. You will have the quote very quickly. They can also bend it for you.
BOETJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Zebedee OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOETJE View Post
I've had good experience with these guys :

http://www.precisionlasercutting.co.nz/

Since you already have a 3 D model by the look of it , you just have to make the drawing , and send it to them in DXF format. Ask for a quote for 5 and 10 or such. You will have the quote very quickly. They can also bend it for you.
Sweeeet ...

As I said, I've got the linework in dxf format already (the 3D is just a quick Sketchup thing for the benefit of folks who can't read a drawing), but if it's a case of "go large or go home" I should really see what I can to about making better use of standard sheet sizes.

John
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
So how long do you think it would take to make them to a standard you would be happy with ?...

Where I work they charge my time out at $90 per hour.. " is cheaper than some would"

Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #5
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
I take my stuff to a water jet cutter, then mark where I want folds done and what degrees then take it to an engineer with a brake press. ( sheet metal shop ) then I had my rear rack powder coated with a slightly textured coat. Can't remember exact costs but a fraction of what you quoted. I have priced anodising, expensive !
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Zebedee OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
So how long do you think it would take to make them to a standard you would be happy with ?...

Where I work they charge my time out at $90 per hour.. " is cheaper than some would"

Thanks for the offer Pete (PM sent).

At this stage, I'll see what Precision Laser come back with, and if the numbers are still still on the high side I'll get in touch. Basically what I've drawn up is the "bells and whistles" version, but for a hand made version I could simplify things considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
I take my stuff to a water jet cutter, then mark where I want folds done and what degrees then take it to an engineer with a brake press. ( sheet metal shop ) then I had my rear rack powder coated with a slightly textured coat. Can't remember exact costs but a fraction of what you quoted. I have priced anodising, expensive !
Thanks Phil. To be honest I thought the whole thing was going to be more streamlined, rather than needing to move bits of metal around the country myself.

Anodising: Yeah, it's still in the "would be nice" category, but the pricing issue could certainly explain why the original rack that I measured up is paint/powder coated ...

John

Zebedee screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 03:43 PM
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
murphyKTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
try Scott at Apex Sheet Metal in Whakatane, superb work, and he is a motorcyclist. Courier costs shouldn't be much. They have water jet cutter.
One factor with pricing is whether they have to buy in the raw sheet or if they have it in stock. No one wants to buy in a whole sheet and have money locked up with stock.
Let us know how you get on.
murphyKTM is offline   Reply With Quote