User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
changed tube without lube on inside

last night I changed the tire and tube on my XT225. I have never done this myself before. I used WD40 for the lube to get the tire on and off. I put the new tube into the rim and was careful to ensure it was sitting flat and not twisted. I did not however use any kind of lube beyond what was on the tire edge for the install. I've since read about using baby powder to lubricate the inside of the tire to help the tube be allowed to move some. Is not doing this an issue? The tire is back on the bike now and is holding air.
1998 Ural Deco

Keithert screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 08:37 AM
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,570
Although not ideal, it is not an issue so long as you got the tube in straight.

BTW This should be in the Garage section.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
last night I changed the tire and tube on my XT225. I have never done this myself before. I used WE40 for the lube to get the tire on and off. I put the new tube into the rim and was careful to ensure it was sitting flat and not twisted. I did not however use any kind of lube beyond what was on the tire edge for the install. I've since read about using baby powder to lubricate the inside of the tire to help the tube be allowed to move some. Is not doing this an issue? The tire is back on the bike now and is holding air.
You should be fine. I have put tubes in dry like that many times. The only time I had a problem was when the tube had a fresh patch on it. Then the glue around the patch can cause it to stick to the tire and pull the patch off. Will powdering a new tube hurt? No. Is it a good idea? Probably. Is it mandatory? Not in my experiance.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I'll just add that WD-40 and tires is a dangerous combination. I would be extra careful about washing the excess off. WD-40 on your tread will significantly reduce traction. If you don'twant to go for a purpose made tire change lube you can use soapy water (then be sure to wash the soap off the tread) or even just plain water.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

When I do the rear tire I will use powder. Should it go on the tube itself or inside the tire? I'd think that inside the tire would be less messy.

Sorry about the incorrect section placement.
1998 Ural Deco
Old 08-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #6
Keithert OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
I'll just add that WD-40 and tires is a dangerous combination. I would be extra careful about washing the excess off. WD-40 on your tread will significantly reduce traction. If you don'twant to go for a purpose made tire change lube you can use soapy water (then be sure to wash the soap off the tread) or even just plain water.
I was in a store and searching on my phone for the best lube to use. Many people here had said WD40. It actually worked great as far as lubing the tire. I understand though what you are saying and will wash the tire thoroughly before riding.
1998 Ural Deco
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,861
Quote:
When I do the rear tire I will use powder. Should it go on the tube itself or inside the tire? I'd think that inside the tire would be less messy.

Sorry about the incorrect section placement.
Place the tube in a plastic bag, add a little powder, do the hokey-pokey,etc.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:

Step 0.5: Obtain some talc powder. Do NOT use cornstarch or mixtures, or anything marked "talc free" (talc is not great for long-term use on one's nethers, but it's great for tubes and tires). Vagisil is right out. Talc only. Baby powder or body powder is fine as long as the ingredients list is limited to "talc" and "fragrance". Your tubes will smell like fresh baby ass...

Step 1: Go outside. Leave the garage. Do not dust your garage with baby powder. Seriously.

Step 2: Dump a little powder in one hand. Rub it all over the tube. Repeat until the tube is lightly dusted.

Or, use the bag method as outlined above. It's just like shake-n-bake.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 568
FWIW I spoon my tires on dry. Haven't had any problems the last 10k miles. And that Michelin T63 is a bitch to put on, especially in the winter.

I prefer to have the tire stick to the rim so I can work my way around easier. Just use smaller increments.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,993
AntiMonkeyButt Powder is pure talc plus calamine (iron/zinc oxide). No sissified fragrance. Works like a charm.

--Bill
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,950
If you're gonna change a tube without talc, once you have the carcass mounted up, unscrew the valve core, and pop on compressed air. Blow it up, then let it deflate, then blow it up, several times in succession. This will work out any folds inside. Folds on the tube concentrate wear.
Fwiw, you should do this if you use talc as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
bscman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I'd be cautious using WD40 on the tire.

I usually just use a bottle of water with a hole in the cap for an instant squeeze tube. You can add a couple (just a couple) drops of dish soap if you like.

Talc just makes it easier.
The tube and tire can move around rather than stick to one-another. If you coat the tube, your tire irons are less likely to grab the tube and pinch it!

I will usually pull the valve core and air/deflate a couple times just to be sure the tube didn't fold or twist.
A mountain bike trick I learned was to add a very small amount of air then bounce the tire/wheel assembly several times around the perimeter. It'll also help unfold/untwist a tube, and can help get the tire centered when you're ready to air up and seat the bead.
bscman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #13
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,517
Two things. Windex is about the best thing I have found for seating tires. It really helps sealing, slides on easy and it evaporates leaving the tire non slippery. Also, You should inflate the tube just enough so that it has its shape. This will really help with avoiding pinches and the tube will not be twisted.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,975
Ruglyde or some other purposeful tire-mounting lube is the correct stuff to use on the beads.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
i_isntreal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
If you're gonna change a tube without talc, once you have the carcass mounted up, unscrew the valve core, and pop on compressed air. Blow it up, then let it deflate, then blow it up, several times in succession. This will work out any folds inside. Folds on the tube concentrate wear.
Fwiw, you should do this if you use talc as well.
x2 - This is how I was taught to do it.