User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
LibraRider OP
LibraRider

Oddometer: 18
2 close calls in one week!

I recently purchased a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650, awesome bike, looks like it came off of the showroom floor. My first bike. So far I have put just over 5,000 miles on the bike.

I wear a full-face helmet with a visor. Thursday morning on my way to work I had my visor flipped up enjoying the cool morning air. I was wearing sunglasses. Traxelling about 60 mph down a 2-lane paved County road with a car in front of me and one behind...a "bug" smacks me in the face under my left sunglass lens and right above the mouth part of the helmet. Immediately I see a wing as the "bug" crawls across my face and stings me under my left eye! I managed to get stopped and pulled over approximately 1/4 mile down the road. I immediately unstrap the helmet, cant find the culprit, examine my face (dammit it hurt). I put the helmet back on, fasten chin strap and hear buzzing in my helmet! I immediately remove helmet AGAIN and there in the chin of the helmet is a BUMBLE BEE! Lesson learned, I now leave my visor down!

Now to today's scary incident:

This afternoon I decided to ride to town to get a few things from Wal-Mart (12 miles from here and it's all we have). About 5 miles from the house I am crusing along at 60ish mph on a paved 2-lane. This is the first time that I didn't wear my protective gear, only tennis shoes, shorts, T-shirt, and helmet. Anywho I see a dog on the right side of the road up ahead about 75 yards away, then I notice a dog on the left side of the road also. I immediately let off the throttle and was riding practically on the center line of the road (keep in mind this all happened in 2.5 seconds or less). The dog on the right was facing the right, standing still, he immediately did a 180 and darted in front of me. I applied the rear brake and it locked up and the bike began the slide and get sideways. I immediately let off the brake and as the bike was straightening up I ran right over the dog, both tires! I don't know how to explain it, I braced and thought oh shit! It was a ferocious bounce wobble kind of thing and I recovered from it and managed not to go down. I am very thankful. I went back and the dog was dead. There were 5 or 6 dogs there and an older gentleman (70's) came walking over to me and said he saw the entire thing. He thought that I was gonna wreck.

I thought that I was perhaps the world's safest rider...I guess not. Folks wear your gear ATGATT!!! Learn from my stupidity. From now on I will be covered head to toe no matter when or where I am riding.

LibraRider
LibraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Dogs and Bikes...

That's a close one . Sorry to here the dog didn't make it and glad to hear you saved the impact....I hit a coyote at 60 mph on a Honda Goldwing and got a little air launch ...yikes.. also those pesky bee stings at speed are very distracting...I just bought a 2011 DL650 ABS and have activated it front and rear in a parking lot to try and get used to the feel...it's kinda neato...thanks for sharing your close call and good luck...cheers
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,410
The Front Brake...use it.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
LibraRider OP
LibraRider

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
The Front Brake...use it.
TrashCan,

I use my front more than the rear, however in this particular situation I didn't have time to use it before impact.

LibraRider
LibraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
On the club ride today I had an SUV cross the double yellow on a turn, really weird since I was not the lead rider, but in wingman position.

I tucked in chin over wrist and leaned the bike and I as far as I dared...

At the next stop they checked my jacket's shoulder and elbow to see if the SUV left any paint.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
^^as far as braking goes, many of us who have riding a long time ride with a finger on the brake lever and two fingers on the clutch. The two fingers on the clutch is mainly and old 2 stroke rider habit because those engines had a nasty habit of seizing up when least expected.

Long ago screaming along US340 near Winchester on my Kawasaki F1 enduro wearing a button down canvas shirt I hit a big bumble bee and he got inside my shirt, under my arm and stung the heck outa me. Nearly wrecked getting off the road. It hurt like hell! I still remember it well even after nearly 40 years. Those suckers can put a hurt on ya!
You were pretty lucky with the dog.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
bee: bad luck
dog: learn the fuck how to brake, if you have time to apply the rear brake and slide around, you have time to apply the front brake as well
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Glad you're OK but damn! You offed a dog! :( That's gotta suck and I'm sorry for both you and the dog's owner.

Stung on the testicle in Spain whilst doing about 60mph - walked like John Wayne for a week. Not fun. That was the last time I failed to patch a hole in my jeans, even a very cooling hole.

A few years back some form of insect life decided to suicide against my chin (I was wearing an open face at the time), I guess I was doing about 60 ish and it must have been a very squishy bug - instant mush and straight into my mouth - tasted bloody horrible.

Loads of stings to the neck - I reckon that just comes with the territory. A few buzzy things in the helmet but, fingers crossed, no stings yet.

A +1 on covering the front brake, not all the time, but certainly at or near areas of risk. The clutch, not so much.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Hey buddy, glad you're okay. But for me, if there wasn't time to use the front brake then there wasn't time to brake period
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #10
GerJ
Blijde rijder

Oddometer: 114
I'm am glad you came away unscathed both times, but please learn from you experiences. Read up on this forum about ATGATT and apply it, learn to brake properly. You write that you are new to motorbikes; please understand that you need to develop your awareness, skills and attitude. Live long and prosper!

GerJ screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 01:29 AM
GerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerJ View Post
I'm am glad you came away unscathed both times, but please learn from you experiences. Read up on this forum about ATGATT and apply it, learn to brake properly. You write that you are new to motorbikes; please understand that you need to develop your awareness, skills and attitude. Live long and prosper!
As riders, we need to develop, maintain, and IMPROVE our awareness, skills, and attitude.

OP, start reading the Faceplant threads. Learn from the mistakes of others. Learn from your own as well.

Continue to improve your learning.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 564
How is it a bumblebee can survive a 10G impact with a human face and STILL have the wherewithal to get a sting in before dying?

That would be like me falling off a three story building, getting up and punching Chuck Norris in the face....
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #13
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
bee: bad luck
dog: learn the fuck how to brake, if you have time to apply the rear brake and slide around, you have time to apply the front brake as well

Regardless of braking, he did exactly the right thing at the last instant - let off. The suspension rebounds, weight transfer back and you get to run over the dog, however wobbly. I've known a few people that have avoided crashes like this, including me.

I had a moped rider turn left from the left edge of the road where they are required to ride, across the lane with me approaching from behind at 55 mph - no real signal, just a left hand down at his side before turning without checking.

I anchored both brakes down actually locking the front briefly (leaving a black mark) and adjusting to suit. Do I remember doing that adjustment? No, it was part of my actions as made habit from years off road and on. But I do remember at the last instant realizing I need to let off and "ride through" the impact. I braked enough to just hit his rear wheel, spinning him out on the road. Thank goodness for him the on coming traffic had time to stop. I rode on through, stopping down the road and going back.

Proper braking avoided my hitting the kid broad side into him. In the OPs case it might have had him avoid the dog. But in the end his final action was absolutely proper.

You never want to impact something like that with the front end compressed and braking. A small animal or a board in the road may cause the front to wash out, a larger one could put you over the bars. Having the forks rebound provides travel that can enable you to roll over the e animal/object with the suspension able to take some of the impact. Another possibility is the ability to pull the front on the verge of impact to, again, roll over the obstacle - this has worked when I've been "surprised" by a poorly filled road wide cut out. The front cleared without hitting the edge, the rear hit and bounced pretty hard, but managable. A habit borrowed from off road riding when approaching a rut across the path and I ain't planning on slowiing up or stopping to cross it.

So I agree, learn to use both brakes to the max, but an "atta boy" for doing the right thing just before impact.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #14
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
How is it a bumblebee can survive a 10G impact with a human face and STILL have the wherewithal to get a sting in before dying?

That would be like me falling off a three story building, getting up and punching Chuck Norris in the face....
It's the exoskeleton, man... like they're wearing full body armor!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraRider View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650, awesome bike, looks like it came off of the showroom floor. My first bike. So far I have put just over 5,000 miles on the bike.

I wear a full-face helmet with a visor. Thursday morning on my way to work I had my visor flipped up enjoying the cool morning air. I was wearing sunglasses. Traxelling about 60 mph down a 2-lane paved County road with a car in front of me and one behind...a "bug" smacks me in the face under my left sunglass lens and right above the mouth part of the helmet. Immediately I see a wing as the "bug" crawls across my face and stings me under my left eye! I managed to get stopped and pulled over approximately 1/4 mile down the road. I immediately unstrap the helmet, cant find the culprit, examine my face (dammit it hurt). I put the helmet back on, fasten chin strap and hear buzzing in my helmet! I immediately remove helmet AGAIN and there in the chin of the helmet is a BUMBLE BEE! Lesson learned, I now leave my visor down!

Now to today's scary incident:

This afternoon I decided to ride to town to get a few things from Wal-Mart (12 miles from here and it's all we have). About 5 miles from the house I am crusing along at 60ish mph on a paved 2-lane. This is the first time that I didn't wear my protective gear, only tennis shoes, shorts, T-shirt, and helmet. Anywho I see a dog on the right side of the road up ahead about 75 yards away, then I notice a dog on the left side of the road also. I immediately let off the throttle and was riding practically on the center line of the road (keep in mind this all happened in 2.5 seconds or less). The dog on the right was facing the right, standing still, he immediately did a 180 and darted in front of me. I applied the rear brake and it locked up and the bike began the slide and get sideways. I immediately let off the brake and as the bike was straightening up I ran right over the dog, both tires! I don't know how to explain it, I braced and thought oh shit! It was a ferocious bounce wobble kind of thing and I recovered from it and managed not to go down. I am very thankful. I went back and the dog was dead. There were 5 or 6 dogs there and an older gentleman (70's) came walking over to me and said he saw the entire thing. He thought that I was gonna wreck.

I thought that I was perhaps the world's safest rider...I guess not. Folks wear your gear ATGATT!!! Learn from my stupidity. From now on I will be covered head to toe no matter when or where I am riding.

LibraRider
The Majority of your braking is via your front tire, use it. Your rear end slid because there was not enough weight on it, good job keeping it upright and letting off the brake.
Roughly 70 percent depending on bike is front braking, please use it and forget at least for now about your rear brake, a major cause of accidents are people getting on their rear brake to hard going into a corner.

Wear Bright Colors you will be amazed how many less close calls you will have with other humans

Take MSF course followed by at least one advanced course.

And do some reading, this is my personal favorite riding book, he also offers clases is Lee Parks "Total Control"
There is an equal amount of good advice as well as bad advice on this forum, as a noob, it is impossible for you to discern between the two.

Good luck.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote