Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #151
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Thinking it makes a better story on the internet.

Show us the video!!! Then we can all hate on the POS lying cops !!

Maybe it was lost with the IRS hard drive crashes.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #152
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Maybe it was lost with the IRS hard drive crashes.
You could ask the NSA for a copy.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #153
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
You could ask the NSA for a copy.
I tried that when the laptop died at work.... I just sent a few emails back and forth with that request, knowing the NSA would read them, but the NSA never got back to me. I'm still waiting three months later.

Where's my taxpayer money going?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #154
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I tried that when the laptop died at work.... I just sent a few emails back and forth with that request, knowing the NSA would read them, but the NSA never got back to me. I'm still waiting three months later.

Where's my taxpayer money going?
They are really missing out on the opportunity to increase the revenue stream by not providing that service.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #155
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
They are really missing out on the opportunity to increase the revenue stream by not providing that service.
I'm already paying taxes to fund the NSA and their data collection. I should get this service for free.

However, they could do this with foreign nations, and charge them....
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #156
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
I don't want to hijack this too far, but I have a burning question for the LEO here if they are willing to answer...

If writing tickets is not about revenue generation, and it is supposed to be about changing behavior then what is the point of officers hiding so that traffic can not see them? The only possible point of this is to "catch people in the act" with the intent of writing a ticket. Seems like changing behavior could as easily be accomplished through parking in plain sight, most drivers will slow down as soon as they see the officer... Pull over the ones who don't.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #157
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I don't want to hijack this too far, but I have a burning question for the LEO here if they are willing to answer...

If writing tickets is not about revenue generation, and it is supposed to be about changing behavior then what is the point of officers hiding so that traffic can not see them? The only possible point of this is to "catch people in the act" with the intent of writing a ticket. Seems like changing behavior could as easily be accomplished through parking in plain sight, most drivers will slow down as soon as they see the officer... Pull over the ones who don't.
Not only don't I only want people to behave when they see a police cruiser, I want them to not slow down- read slam on the brakes reflexively- when they see a cop.

As for "hiding" and "pull over the ones that don't slow down"- around here, they don't hide, and they do stop the ones that don't slow down. Friggin' fish in a barrel, they tell me- and again, speeding may be probable cause for the stop, but they write more tickets for other stuff (cell phone, expired tags, insurance, or DL...)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #158
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Not only don't I only want people to behave when they see a police cruiser, I want them to not slow down- read slam on the brakes reflexively- when they see a cop.

As for "hiding" and "pull over the ones that don't slow down"- around here, they don't hide, and they do stop the ones that don't slow down. Friggin' fish in a barrel, they tell me- and again, speeding may be probable cause for the stop, but they write more tickets for other stuff (cell phone, expired tags, insurance, or DL...)
In the same vein, why doesn't Virginia legalize radar detectors? They produce the desired effect: people slow down when they register police radar coming up....
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #159
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Around here it depends on the jurisdiction as to whether they are hiding or not, seems like in VA it is the norm to try and hide. MD not so much, PA only the state police can run radar so most of the state is a race track....
Old 07-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #160
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
In the same vein, why doesn't Virginia legalize radar detectors? They produce the desired effect: people slow down when they register police radar coming up....
That's fairly simple. They only slow you down occasionally. They enable drivers to speed more often than they might have without one. Undesired behavior.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #161
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's fairly simple. They only slow you down occasionally. They enable drivers to speed more often than they might have without one. Undesired behavior.
Very simple alternate explanation, it is a second revenue stream.....
Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #162
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
More often than 100% of the time? They enable drivers to speed even faster than without one, more like....
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #163
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post

People drive slower when they go off but they drive even faster when they do not.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #164
fmrmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post
Law Enforcement is the 7th most popular job for Psychopath's, just say'n .

But the old fart probley does the Obie Wan Kanobie, " These aren't the
droids you're looking for" trick. You don't get old with out learning a trick or 2.

"Obie Wan Kanobie"...that cracked me up.
fmrmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #165
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

Military police are not allowed to do this for just the reason you stated. The idea is that a traffic patrol is set up based on reports or observations of unsafe driving in an area, a patrol is assigned to that area until the word gets out. I'm sure everybody knows where the cops sit at different points on their commute. They may be there a few days out of a month, but you always remember. No idea if this or any other approach (unmarked cars, cameras, hiding, etc) actually makes life safer.

I've seen some crafty masters at arms hiding behind the bushes though.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote