Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #166
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Military police are not allowed to do this for just the reason you stated. The idea is that a traffic patrol is set up based on reports or observations of unsafe driving in an area, a patrol is assigned to that area until the word gets out. I'm sure everybody knows where the cops sit at different points on their commute. They may be there a few days out of a month, but you always remember. No idea if this or any other approach (unmarked cars, cameras, hiding, etc) actually makes life safer.

I've seen some crafty masters at arms hiding behind the bushes though.
Traffic cameras are a freaking hazard, everybody knows where they are so they drive like normal crazy assholes until right before the camera; at this point the slam on their brakes and creep along for 100 yards before they floor it again....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #167
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Traffic cameras are a freaking hazard, everybody knows where they are so they drive like normal crazy assholes until right before the camera; at this point the slam on their brakes and creep along for 100 yards before they floor it again....
I think you'll find it's fuckwit drivers who are the hazard. Not a stationary metal box on a pole.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #168
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post

Where's my taxpayer money going?
China.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #169
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
China.
So maybe the China Intelligence Service has those IRS emails?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #170
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 182
Cool2

Not really on topic since I am not an LEO, but that train derailed long ago anyway.

My experience with LEOs has been that most are professional, courteous, and respectful, with Highway Patrol officers at the top of the heap for professionalism.

The topic of "tickets for cash" is very real to me. I live in a small town in central Florida called Lake Alfred. Google Lake Alfred speedtraps. The place is notorious, and has been for years. If you ever come this way, be very careful. With the addition of several stealth cars and mini vans, it is a mine field, and you can get ticketed for 1 over. Six lane divided highway thru the commercial/industrial part of town with a 35 mph speed limit.

Back to normal law enforcement. I got pulled by a trooper for 70 in a 55 on a county road. Miles of nothing, no side roads, no houses, just good old Flaw'da swamp. (He tagged me oncoming as he was approaching in the opposite direction) By the time he turned around and came back after me, I was out of helmet, had the engine off, keys on my tank bag, and paperwork present. He checked my record and sent me on my way with this warning: "Be mindful of you speed. Even in the middle of nowhere".

Thank goodness, it was that stretch of the road. A few miles back are some nice twisty bits. and I was being VERY naughty at that point, and had slowed way down when I got caught.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 AM   #171
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier311 View Post
You GAVE them the only copy you had of the video? Dude, WTF were you thinking?
Did I say I gave them the video? No.

The video was gas station surveillance cam footage. After I got the tickets, I went back to the station and discovered that the cam perfectly showed that intersection. My dumb ass then went and got on a local forum and made a post about the incident and mentioned the station and the footage. Some pro-cop asshole forwarded the post to the cops. Didn't find that out until later.

That Monday I went to the store to ask the owner for a copy, offered to pay him whatever he thought was fair, directly offered 500$ and when he refused, offered to let him set the price,,,, he refused. During the visit, the owner got very irate and stated that the "Cops have already--------" and never finished the sentence. I asked what he said, he got even more angry and left. He then told the people at the store to call the cops if I ever came back. I went there with "hat in hand", I was extremely nice and gave the owner no reason to treat me the way he was. "Something" other than "me" cause the owner to be nutty.

I begged and pleaded for a quick subpoena {what ever you call a demand for evidence} and even went directly to the Sheriff of the county and begged. He sent the officer in charge of my formal complaint. When the owner of the store saw us, he tried to leave. He initially refused to let us look at the footage and again, mentioned the "cops have already been there". The captain asked who looked at it and the owner nutted up again. He finally relented and we {the captain and I} watched it. It clearly showed my car's tail lights going under a green light and no one, not a damned soul ran a red during the time the cop was there. The captain's attitude immediately changed from a "us vs them" sorta attitude to a much more understanding and some what apologetic attitude.

The cop then asked for a copy and the owner refused. Since there was no legal subpoena, that's all the cop could do,,,, ask. Two months later a legal subpoena was finally obtained and served. The owner stated that the video footage was taped over. The captain stated that while he couldn't recognize my car's tail lights, he did agree that it appeared that no one ran no redlight and the other things the POS cop said happened, were not present and should have been. He also stated that the actions of the cop in the video where not the actions of a cop that had just seen what he said he did. The captain stated that I should do all I could to get the video into evidence and that if not, I could call him as a "friendly witness".

With-in a couple of weeks of the captain seeing that footage, the cop that gave me those bogus tickets supposedly {resigned for personal reasons}. His supervisor that night that worked the scene and took my complaint also "resigned for personal reasons".

That was four years ago. It took over two years to get my first jury trial date. That captain that said he would be a friendly witness refused my subpoena,,,,,, twice and I asked for continuances both times. He is presently ill with cancer and I doubt like hell he change his mind before dying.

Think about this. A cop pulled me over for no reason other than I was out late on a Saturday night in a "fast car". When he pulled me, he lied as to the reason he pulled me and said I had ran a red light and nearly hit three cars. I stated that I most certainly did not, he tried to intimidate me into shutting up and I called the cops on the POS. I repeatedly asked for state patrol and was repeatedly refused. Initially, the cops circled the wagons and tried to refuse any request for audio and video evidence. The 911 office even tried to refuse once they found out why I was asking for the audio of the call.

I know for a fact not all cops are POS alpha male assholes but through this incident, a few other bad stops and damned near daily reports of cops abusing authority in various ways,,,, I determined that many are. A shit load are. Cops profile people every day. Drive a camoed and lifted K5 sitting on 40s around at night on the weekend and you are gonna get stopped. "You know, that's a redneck ride and you know, rednecks love Budweiser and meth,,,, better pull that joker over by god!". Well, due to experience I find that profiling works and now profile cops as a bunch of assholes that lie, cheat, and abuse their power until the prove otherwise by allowing for a modicum of professional behavior during the stop.

Long ass post, but you made an observation that wasn't quite right and I wanted to fully explain the shit.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #172
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thinking it makes a better story on the internet.

Show us the video!!! Then we can all hate on the POS lying cops !!

There's your "story on the internet". No video but if you want, I can share audio of the stop where I initially treated officer asshole with respect even while he was directly lying to my face, repeatedly asked for a state trooper and was refused and audio where the POS lying cop said "this is gonna be fun", where two cops in a cop car couldn't be heard because of poor audio quality yet you could hear crickets chirping outside the car. I could share all that shit and yet,,,, I can't "prove" I didn't run that redlight and I didn't almost hit three cars while doing it according to that lying POS cop.

I got those three tickets {failure to yield to a traffic control device, failure to show due caution and reckless driving} because I had the temerity, the audacity to call the cops on a cop. Instead of backing down and admit to being a lying, power tripping asshole, he escalated the BS. Had I simply tucked my balls, kissed his ass and said sir yes sir to his bullshit,,,, I woulda prolly got a "Slow it down" or "Pay better attention" admonishment.

Yes, many cops suck. If there are cops out there reading this, don't get your panties in a wad with me. Blame the lying POS, his supervisor, the captain and the rest of the department that circled the wagons to protect their ass rather than admit this cop was a bad apple. You get what you give and when you protect bad cops, people begin to think that most of you are bad. Yes, that stereotyping, yes, that's profiling but hey,,,,, where there is smoke there is usually fire. Either stand up against crap cops or live with people reacting to all of you like you are bad.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #173
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
A question for LEOs, a little long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
There's your "story on the internet". No video but if you want, I can share audio of the stop where I initially treated officer asshole with respect even while he was directly lying to my face, repeatedly asked for a state trooper and was refused and audio where the POS lying cop said "this is gonna be fun", where two cops in a cop car couldn't be heard because of poor audio quality yet you could hear crickets chirping outside the car. I could share all that shit and yet,,,, I can't "prove" I didn't run that redlight and I didn't almost hit three cars while doing it according to that lying POS cop.

I got those three tickets {failure to yield to a traffic control device, failure to show due caution and reckless driving} because I had the temerity, the audacity to call the cops on a cop. Instead of backing down and admit to being a lying, power tripping asshole, he escalated the BS. Had I simply tucked my balls, kissed his ass and said sir yes sir to his bullshit,,,, I woulda prolly got a "Slow it down" or "Pay better attention" admonishment.

Yes, many cops suck. If there are cops out there reading this, don't get your panties in a wad with me. Blame the lying POS, his supervisor, the captain and the rest of the department that circled the wagons to protect their ass rather than admit this cop was a bad apple. You get what you give and when you protect bad cops, people begin to think that most of you are bad. Yes, that stereotyping, yes, that's profiling but hey,,,,, where there is smoke there is usually fire. Either stand up against crap cops or live with people reacting to all of you like you are bad.

Trumped up charges, intimidation of witnesses, tampering with audio evidence, destruction of video evidence, the dying declaration of a police captain, refusal to appear before the court after being served a subpoena, the resignation of an officer and his supervisor

Cops in NY city just strangled a guy on camera and the story isn't as amazing as this one

So you never got your day in court, but you never paid the tickets. You should check if you have a bench warrant
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #174
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Trumped up charges, intimidation of witnesses, tampering with audio evidence, destruction of video evidence, the dying declaration of a police captain, refusal to appear before the court after being served a subpoena, the resignation of an officer and his supervisor

Cops in NY city just strangled a guy on camera and the story isn't as amazing as this one

So you never got your day in court, but you never paid the tickets. You should check if you have a bench warrant
It might well sound like alot of drama or BS but I promise,,,, it's the truth. And yes, I have been to court numerous times on this between traffic court, then several trips to Superior Court due to the captain refusing the subpoena, matter of fact I'm going back for the umptenth time this week.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #175
JayW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
So what about the Concealed Carry Permit mentioned by the original poster? Does showing one - even if a gun is not being carried - have any independent effect on whether or not the speeder gets a ticket?
JayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #176
JayW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
As one with many warnings (and very few citations) in my past, I believe that LEOs appreciate it when the speeder pulls off at a safe area for both of them, even if he cannot pull over immediately. For example, if the road is narrow with a guard rail, I will put on the flashers to acknowledge that I am being pulled over, then drive on another tenth of a mile or two until there is a wide open area so we can both get well away from traffic. I am unclear as to how far is "too far" in this circumstance, but the principle is sound, I think.

One other burning question for the LEOs here: Is there possible benefit to going to court even if the ticket is warranted? Can it sometimes be reduced or thrown out even if I intend to plead guilty (for example, if the LEO does not show up?)

Any thoughts or comments from those in the know are appreciated.
JayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #177
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,374
I high speed slab it a lot. Rarely get pulled over even when busted. Full gear not road racing or weaving through traffic just speeding under complete control in full gear. In very rural areas I try to be very aware as I am not fond of county or rural pd want to avoid any interaction if possible.

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #178
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
I high speed slab it a lot. Rarely get pulled over even when busted. Full gear not road racing or weaving through traffic just speeding under complete control in full gear. In very rural areas I try to be very aware as I am not fond of county or rural pd want to avoid any interaction if possible.
Excellent advice my friend.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #179
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
Not really on topic since I am not an LEO, but that train derailed long ago anyway.

My experience with LEOs has been that most are professional, courteous, and respectful, with Highway Patrol officers at the top of the heap for professionalism.

The topic of "tickets for cash" is very real to me. I live in a small town in central Florida called Lake Alfred. Google Lake Alfred speedtraps. The place is notorious, and has been for years. If you ever come this way, be very careful. With the addition of several stealth cars and mini vans, it is a mine field, and you can get ticketed for 1 over. Six lane divided highway thru the commercial/industrial part of town with a 35 mph speed limit.

Back to normal law enforcement. I got pulled by a trooper for 70 in a 55 on a county road. Miles of nothing, no side roads, no houses, just good old Flaw'da swamp. (He tagged me oncoming as he was approaching in the opposite direction) By the time he turned around and came back after me, I was out of helmet, had the engine off, keys on my tank bag, and paperwork present. He checked my record and sent me on my way with this warning: "Be mindful of you speed. Even in the middle of nowhere".

Thank goodness, it was that stretch of the road. A few miles back are some nice twisty bits. and I was being VERY naughty at that point, and had slowed way down when I got caught.
Too funny.....good for you!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #180
Ernest T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Did I say I gave them the video? No.

The video was gas station surveillance cam footage. After I got the tickets, I went back to the station and discovered that the cam perfectly showed that intersection. My dumb ass then went and got on a local forum and made a post about the incident and mentioned the station and the footage. Some pro-cop asshole forwarded the post to the cops. Didn't find that out until later.

That Monday I went to the store to ask the owner for a copy, offered to pay him whatever he thought was fair, directly offered 500$ and when he refused, offered to let him set the price,,,, he refused. During the visit, the owner got very irate and stated that the "Cops have already--------" and never finished the sentence. I asked what he said, he got even more angry and left. He then told the people at the store to call the cops if I ever came back. I went there with "hat in hand", I was extremely nice and gave the owner no reason to treat me the way he was. "Something" other than "me" cause the owner to be nutty.

I begged and pleaded for a quick subpoena {what ever you call a demand for evidence} and even went directly to the Sheriff of the county and begged. He sent the officer in charge of my formal complaint. When the owner of the store saw us, he tried to leave. He initially refused to let us look at the footage and again, mentioned the "cops have already been there". The captain asked who looked at it and the owner nutted up again. He finally relented and we {the captain and I} watched it. It clearly showed my car's tail lights going under a green light and no one, not a damned soul ran a red during the time the cop was there. The captain's attitude immediately changed from a "us vs them" sorta attitude to a much more understanding and some what apologetic attitude.

The cop then asked for a copy and the owner refused. Since there was no legal subpoena, that's all the cop could do,,,, ask. Two months later a legal subpoena was finally obtained and served. The owner stated that the video footage was taped over. The captain stated that while he couldn't recognize my car's tail lights, he did agree that it appeared that no one ran no redlight and the other things the POS cop said happened, were not present and should have been. He also stated that the actions of the cop in the video where not the actions of a cop that had just seen what he said he did. The captain stated that I should do all I could to get the video into evidence and that if not, I could call him as a "friendly witness".

With-in a couple of weeks of the captain seeing that footage, the cop that gave me those bogus tickets supposedly {resigned for personal reasons}. His supervisor that night that worked the scene and took my complaint also "resigned for personal reasons".

That was four years ago. It took over two years to get my first jury trial date. That captain that said he would be a friendly witness refused my subpoena,,,,,, twice and I asked for continuances both times. He is presently ill with cancer and I doubt like hell he change his mind before dying.

Think about this. A cop pulled me over for no reason other than I was out late on a Saturday night in a "fast car". When he pulled me, he lied as to the reason he pulled me and said I had ran a red light and nearly hit three cars. I stated that I most certainly did not, he tried to intimidate me into shutting up and I called the cops on the POS. I repeatedly asked for state patrol and was repeatedly refused. Initially, the cops circled the wagons and tried to refuse any request for audio and video evidence. The 911 office even tried to refuse once they found out why I was asking for the audio of the call.

I know for a fact not all cops are POS alpha male assholes but through this incident, a few other bad stops and damned near daily reports of cops abusing authority in various ways,,,, I determined that many are. A shit load are. Cops profile people every day. Drive a camoed and lifted K5 sitting on 40s around at night on the weekend and you are gonna get stopped. "You know, that's a redneck ride and you know, rednecks love Budweiser and meth,,,, better pull that joker over by god!". Well, due to experience I find that profiling works and now profile cops as a bunch of assholes that lie, cheat, and abuse their power until the prove otherwise by allowing for a modicum of professional behavior during the stop.

Long ass post, but you made an observation that wasn't quite right and I wanted to fully explain the shit.
Since all the cops in the original snafu resigned, who was going to testify for the prosecution in the trial? Were the cops that resigned going to come back on their own time?
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote