ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #196
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Is there ever an acceptable reason for speeding? except emergencies — "my daughter was taken to the ER, I'm on my way there now."

Because I personally think 10 over on a limited-access interstate is perfectly acceptable, because I guarantee I'm the most un-distracted vehicle operator on the road: no radar detector, no GPS, no satellite radio, no DVD movie for the brats in the back of the minivan, no cell phone, no texting, no passenger to talk with. I'm doing one thing: focusing on the road. I think I should be able to go 80 in a 70.

If I stated that, is that an acceptable reason to speed? My honest opinion: no. But I'm going to do it anyway.
I'm pretty much with you on that one! I wish I could say 80 in a 70 was my limit. This past Sunday I saw an indicated 101 mph on my Vstrom. Now in my defense, the odometer at that speed is probably 8 mph fast indicated, plus I was passing a ratty 18 wheeler & the vehicle in front of it and when I pass 18 wheelers, I like to do it "quickly"......once had a tire on one of them start to come apart as I was passing. A good friend once had a lug nut from a wheel come off, hit him in the helmet and nearly knocked him off the bike. He still has the helmet. I'll probably keep doing what I do also. Cheers Edit: The speed limit where I was riding was 75 mph, also, I might have exaggerated a bit at how far my speedo is "off" indicated....but not much! LOL
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #197
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I'm pretty much with you on that one! I wish I could say 80 in a 70 was my limit. This past Sunday I saw an indicated 101 mph on my Vstrom. Now in my defense, the odometer at that speed is probably 8 mph fast indicated, plus I was passing a ratty 18 wheeler & the vehicle in front of it and when I pass 18 wheelers, I like to do it "quickly"......once had a tire on one of them start to come apart as I was passing. A good friend once had a lug nut from a wheel come off, hit him in the helmet and nearly knocked him off the bike. He still has the helmet. I'll probably keep doing what I do also. Cheers Edit: The speed limit where I was riding was 75 mph, also, I might have exaggerated a bit at how far my speedo is "off" indicated....but not much! LOL
I also tend to pass them with some enthusiasm, I hate being next to them or immediately behind them. If the officer rides he should understand as long as you drop back to a reasonable speed after the pass IMO.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #198
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I also tend to pass them with some enthusiasm, I hate being next to them or immediately behind them. If the officer rides he should understand as long as you drop back to a reasonable speed after the pass IMO.
Right Navy. If the officer rides, my guess is he would "get it", if he doesn't, still won't change my method.....the goal is to be safe. By the way, I NEVER ride immediately behind them.....always pretty far back, waiting for an opportunity to pass. When I see it coming, I get my speed up to "passing" before I pull out......lesson learned from the guy who got the lug nut in the helmet!
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #199
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I'm pretty much with you on that one! I wish I could say 80 in a 70 was my limit.
10-15mph over is pretty much my limit, at least on limited-access interstates. I want to make progress, but I'm not truly in a hurry.

On regular highways, I'm usually 7-9mph over.
__________________
Behold the field in which I grow my fucks | Lay thine eyes upon it and see that it is barren!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #200
ghostryder
made it
 
ghostryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 5,725
CCW, Don't care. Military I.D., Don't care.....what matters is attitude. Back when I used to run lazer caught a guy going well over the speed limit in a car I could have never caught in my Crown Vic. When he stopped I asked him why he was going so fast.....he said because there is never a cop there . Laughed walked back to the car ran his stuff, he was good, sent him on his way. Caught a guy doing doughnuts pulling out of a parking lot in a gorgeous new mustang. "Ummmm Officer well its a new car and the rear end got away from me". He said that with a straight face. Told him he was either the luckiest driver ever, or an incredible B.S. artist. Another good one....If you never want to admit how fast you were going just say.....fast enough to get your attention. Most people are not happy to get pulled over....I get it. But if you have the proper attitude you stand the best chance. All of these guys made me laugh, none got a ticket.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #201
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Interesting that the general opinion of the LEO's is that they are not concerned with CCW's. I figured that would be on the list of things they want to know in advance, something to keep in mind thanks!

And since you don't probably don't hear it enough, thanks for serving the community!
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #202
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Phoeniz, AZ
Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
10-15mph over is pretty much my limit, at least on limited-access interstates. I want to make progress, but I'm not truly in a hurry.

On regular highways, I'm usually 7-9mph over.
Actually Gone, I'm seldom in a hurry either....just do like to ride fast. Be safe!
__________________
I came into this world kicking, crying and covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem leaving the same way.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #203
ghostryder
made it
 
ghostryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Interesting that the general opinion of the LEO's is that they are not concerned with CCW's. I figured that would be on the list of things they want to know in advance, something to keep in mind thanks!

And since you don't probably don't hear it enough, thanks for serving the community!
CCW crowd does not bother me....there should be more. Its the Felons with guys that gets me nervous, or the people that try to hide them.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #204
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
CCW crowd does not bother me....there should be more. Its the Felons with guys that gets me nervous, or the people that try to hide them.
That is why I am upfront about it, I don't want you getting a glimpse of if while I am doing something an getting nervous about it. Better for everybody involved if we both stay calm.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #205
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM
 
Mr_Gone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Mountain Home, AR
Oddometer: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Actually Gone, I'm seldom in a hurry either....just do like to ride fast. Be safe!
I do like to ride fast, also... I have Push Mountain Road only 11 miles from my front door, and it's a blast. I ride it just about every Sunday morning, if possible, with maybe just a little too much velocity, I'll admit. The local sheriff's guys all know me, so I think I get a little bit more leeway that some of the guys on sportsbikes.

The local sheriff's deputies around here are far more concerned with trying to slow down the guys on Harleys and Gold Wings who, even though they're going the speed limit, can't "negotiate" the curves. We get a few deaths every summer, and usually it's a cruiser or a Gold Wing. Sometimes it's a deer strike. Most of the time, it's because the riders on big bikes are either going too fast for the curves, or they don't trust their machines and panic and lock up the wheels and then splat.
__________________
Behold the field in which I grow my fucks | Lay thine eyes upon it and see that it is barren!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #206
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter
 
DesertTortoise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 150
A question for LEOs, a little long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Sorry! It can be tough to get sentiment across through a forum. My intention was never to seem or come across as snarky or less-than-decent... let's see if I can better explain myself (although we still may not see eye-to-eye on this).

I am LEO, and to me if I stop you for speeding let's say, the only documentation I care to see is a driver's license and vehicle registration, because that is the only documentation relevant to our interaction. Anytime someone hands me additional documentation, unsolicited, either 1) they think I need it but are mistaken or 2) they think the additional information will somehow sway my decision process.

I'm always upfront and state the reason for the stop, and I always ask the driver for their explanation. I give everyone a chance to give their side of the story. If I asked someone why they were speeding they wouldn't say "I was speeding because I'm friends with a cop" (PBA card) or "I was speeding because I'm in the army" (Military ID)... and to me, that's what it feels like when someone just hands over those respective cards along with the other documentation that I actually need.

This is why I ask people *why* they are handing me those extra things... to show how awkward it seems when you say it out loud.

I didn't intend to imply you deserved tickets you didn't get, or you are a bad person... I was just trying to show things from my point of view. (And as I said, if you are actually CCW at the time, that would absolutely be a reason to share those credentials... there was another poster in the thread that mentioned sharing it even when *not* carrying.)

(And frankly, sometimes it can come off as insulting when someone hands me those credentials, the implication being that I lack integrity and don't care about the facts and circumstances of the incident, but rather, can be easily swayed by some information which has no real bearing on the situation at hand... kind of the "don't you know who I am?!" method of defense.)

Just a question for you since you take a strong position. Do you expect or give professional courtesy? As in, I'm speeding because I'm a cop? Some do, some don't care at all.



Military police eat their own. Being an MP don't get you nothing. Kind of awkward when the installation commander asks the Provost Marshall why the infantry company got 30 tickets while strangely the entire MP battalion got zero....
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #207
Human Ills
Useful Idiom
 
Human Ills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: South (Dog help me) Bay
Oddometer: 23,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
What Oilhed said.

Also, it can be *really* tough to get the person. Most of the time in my area we just can't catch/find the person that is being reported on because of staffing levels, availability, or geography. This is especially true when the caller doesn't stay behind the vehicle and we have to guess and where to go.
Wouldn't you have to not only find the person who was reported, but also observe the behaviour yourself in order for the state to move forward with prosecution? I would expect DA's to be leery of going forward on moving violations when the only witness is another driver who may or may not show up for court and whose testimony will not have the standing usually enjoyed by police.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #208
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Just a question for you since you take a strong position. Do you expect or give professional courtesy? As in, I'm speeding because I'm a cop? Some do, some don't care at all.



Military police eat their own. Being an MP don't get you nothing. Kind of awkward when the installation commander asks the Provost Marshall why the infantry company got 30 tickets while strangely the entire MP battalion got zero....
Easy answer is the MP's know better than to speed, they eat their own after all...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #209
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter
 
DesertTortoise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Easy answer is the MP's know better than to speed, they eat their own after all...

Last ticket I got was for a master at arms in Cuba.


No professional courtesy there!
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #210
Xaque
Adventurer
 
Xaque's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Western MA
Oddometer: 81
A fair amount of you have missed my point regarding the CCW. If you are carrying at that moment, I like to have a head's-up... but you can verbalize it and then hand over your permit if I ask. What I was referring to in my previous statements was the poster who mentioned handing over his CCW even when he's not carrying as a way to indicate to the officer he's an upstanding citizen and/or not a felon. (Similar to handing over other credentials that have no bearing on the situation at hand.)


There are a lot of misconceived notions about Massachusetts... for an extremely liberal state, we have a large number of gun owners and manage to elect republican governors on a fairly regular basis. I actually like the balance here a lot, and for the most part people are very tolerant of everyone else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Just a question for you since you take a strong position. Do you expect or give professional courtesy? As in, I'm speeding because I'm a cop? Some do, some don't care at all.



Military police eat their own. Being an MP don't get you nothing. Kind of awkward when the installation commander asks the Provost Marshall why the infantry company got 30 tickets while strangely the entire MP battalion got zero....
I *never* expect professional courtesy. I've never even contested a ticket that I deserved (was guilty of what I was accused of), I just pay them and go on my way. That said, I've never received a ticket that I thought was unjust either.

In regards to giving professional courtesy, I let civilians go with warnings just as often as I let LEOs go with warnings... everything gets weighed and there are a myriad of reasons why someone does or does not deserve a money ticket. As I said previously in this thread, I've found reasoning and logic to be a much stronger deterrent than hitting someone in the wallet (in the case of the latter they just drive away angry).

That said, LEOs tend to obey the laws... I just don't get a chance to pull many over. If you want to talk about a subset of people who are *constantly* doing things to catch my attention, then we need to start talking about middle-aged women who drive a prius. Talk about being unaware of their surroundings.
__________________
-Zack
"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided."
“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.”
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014