World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,701
Funny, I don't feel like a psychopath.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #33
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I'll bite on this. I will stop at 10 over and write a ticket for 15 over usually. I rarely work highways but when do it is rural areas with lots of ag and animals in the area, both wild and domestic. So I am out in the area for a reason. Farm workers on ATV's and driving tractors don't always look when pulling out from a field, neither do wayward cows, sheep or pigs.
When stopped, just be polite. I have never stopped someone without a reason. I really hate it when I get someone for 15 over or more, and they tell me that they were doing the speed limit. If speeding, I am going to ask how fast you were going and if you knew the speed limit. The best answer I get is "maybe a bit over the speed limit". We both know you were speeding and don't be all asshatish because I caught you. My other peeves are no insurance and m/c endorsement. Your attitude will have a difference in the citation in most cases. In Idaho we have 2 speeding tickets, $90 and $150 for above or below 15 over. But there is also reckless and failure to reasonable and prudent. Those are misdemeanors. I have given either the little ticket or just a warning for speed, just over someone's attitude and maybe a little when I see the past record. As stated earlier, the goal is to promote safety and change drivers behavior. Sometimes that can only be done through their wallet.
That being said, I have 30 minute t-stops adv bikes discussing where they have been or what they are riding and the gear they carry. Always stopped for 10- over or better. But I have met some great people from t-stops and few that asshats.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #34
Sneakypenguin
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Not a LEO but i've been pulled over in various cars and bikes 8-9 times and its all been random. Sometimes its just license and registration and they walk back with a ticket other times i've been +35 and didn't even get a written warning. Lately they don't even bother talking just take your info and come back with a ticket.

Also depends on which cop pulls you over if its traffic then your SoL pretty much every time, but then my old roommate wouldn't pull anyone over cause he was patrol and didn't give a damn about traffic.
Sneakypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #35
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 667
A very interesting thread. The last time I was stopped was in my truck doing 72 in a 55 zone. The officer came up and told me that and asked if there was a reason. I looked him in the eye and told him, "I wasn't paying attention to my speed and as soon as I saw your lights I knew. I can't claim innocence." He took my license back to the cruiser for a few minutes, then returned and told me the speeding fine would be $189 (if I remember correctly) and three points on the license. Then he told me he was not writing me up for speeding, but rather for "Failure to obey a traffic device", which he told me was the speed limit sign. The fine was $109 and no points. The reason he told me I was getting a break was because I didn't give him a "bullshit reason why it's okay" to be going that fast. I figure that it didn't hurt that I hadn't been stopped for anything in the past 10 years or do.

From the LEO responses here, it looks like I did the best thing. I've always figured they have no idea when the stop a vehicle if the driver is a psycho or not, and acting like an asshat does nothing to set them at ease.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #36
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,851
I've always heard from both speeders and LEOs that there's an attitude test: be polite, maybe you don't get a ticket; be an asshat, you're probably getting a ticket. Everything else is a variable you can't control.

Well, except for not speeding. And that's just crazy!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #37
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
LEO's are always in the position of trying to affect safety via science (studies that show enforcement effectiveness) and community concerns (#1 is almost always speed).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
can you elaborate on this?

this just seems so contrary to actual observation of highway behavior. are you guys primarily receiving concerns of grandmothers, or is there just that much mental dissonance, or are the community concerns really regarding asshats doing 100mph over the limit, or what?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 271
I've always been polite and honest when pulled over. When asked why I was pulled over, I admit that "I was going a little faster than I should have been." More than half the time, I don't get a ticket. The rest of the time, I get a reduced speed on the ticket or written for a non-moving violation.

The last time I was clocked at 72 in a 55. I had just pulled out of a rest area on a remote stretch of road with almost no traffic. I was just running through the gears and was actually slowing back down when the officer caught me. He was traveling the other direction, but I immediately pulled over, shut off the bike and removed my helmet. (Hoping my advanced age and gray hair would help ) After a brief discussion, he wrote me up for an obstructed license plate. No points, but the State still gets their revenue. Considering I was on my way home from a week of misbehaving in the mountains, I thought that was more than fair.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #39
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post

this just seems so contrary to actual observation of highway behavior. are you guys primarily receiving concerns of grandmothers, or is there just that much mental dissonance, or are the community concerns really regarding asshats doing 100mph over the limit, or what?
Speaking as a non-LEO, I think a lot of community concerns actually are from residents who do talk to the city leaders and say, "There are too many speeders going through this school zone," or "There's a dumbass on a motorcycle who rides down my block at 140mph every morning at 7 AM — can you catch him?"

You'd be surprised [or maybe not] what sort of phone calls come into a mayor's office, or the police chief's office, regarding behaviors witnessed by residents. City leaders really do get those calls.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #40
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
my dad was the mayor (part time gig) of the small town i grew up in for awhile. he used to take me to borough council meetings as a bit of a civics education. he also used to get calls from citizens at home.

what it mostly taught me was that city leaders, at least in that case, tend to hear from a vocal minority of busybodies who have control issues and too much time on their hands.

i don't know if that experience was typical or not, but there was a group of 5 to 10 people who came to pretty much every council meeting (and called him regularly) and complained about pretty much everything everyone else did.

everyone else drove too fast. everyone else made too much noise. everyone else didn't keep their lawn manicured well enough. etc. etc.

they basically expected the council and the police to force everyone else to live according to their wishes.

i will note that, from the few times i have gone to pittsburgh city council meetings, it seems the same thing happens. of course, in the pittsburgh case, it doesn't help that the meetings are held on weekdays during the day...which means the only people who can typically attend them are retired or unemployed (i.e., people with too much time on their hands). in the small town case, all the borough council members had day jobs, so the meetings were in the evenings. so, theoretically, more people could show up--but they didn't.

in any case, activists are always over represented to government relative to the general populace who don't really give a shit and just want to go about their daily lives. so, my guess is that you have the general population routinely speeding (actually, that part is not a guess...it is repeatably observable) and never contacting the government about anything while you have another small, but vocal, group complaining about speeding to the government...and the government officials they complain to mostly just want to shut them up (and not get them fired up about making them lose the next election), so they do something--or, at least, make it look like they are doing something--that will hopefully shut them up.

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 01:10 PM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post

I was in the traffic unit for 7 years....my JOB was to write tickets...

We had a company, which had a landfill near the edge of town.....a few houses on both sides of the street. Needless to say, there were dump trucks running up and down that road 8-10 hrs a day, 6 days a week.

We got numerous complaints of trucks speeding, so was tasked with sitting out there running radar.

Turns out that MOST of the trucks were running 20-22 mph (speed limit was 30). The trucks that LOOKED like they were hauling azz? Those were the ones going the speed limit.

School zones was another area where we got a lot of complaints. The biggest violators? School staff, and parents dropping their kids off...
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #42
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post

We had a company, which had a landfill near the edge of town.....a few houses on both sides of the street. Needless to say, there were dump trucks running up and down that road 8-10 hrs a day, 6 days a week.

We got numerous complaints of trucks speeding, so was tasked with sitting out there running radar.

Turns out that MOST of the trucks were running 20-22 mph (speed limit was 30). The trucks that LOOKED like they were hauling azz? Those were the ones going the speed limit.

School zones was another area where we got a lot of complaints. The biggest violators? School staff, and parents dropping their kids off...
There's a local back road that over the years has seen more and more commuters use as the highways have gotten more congested. The locals complained to the county supervisors that these all of these outside commuters were driving well over the speed limit. The sheriff's department told the supervisors that the commuters weren't the problem, the huge majority of speeding tickets were written to the locals.

I was pulled over in my pickup a couple months ago for speeding. There is about a quarter mile long section of 40 mph road with a 55 mph speed limit on either end of it. No rhyme or reason that I can see, there aren't anymore side streets than the higher speed limit sections, and in either case there's not many. It's a rural area at the edge of town. It looked like the LEO got a more important call, because all of a sudden he was shoving my paperwork back at me and telling me to have a good day and slow down. Okie-dokie, you betcha.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #43
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:

Thanks for the response. Safe journeys to you.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #44
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
I'll bite on this. I will stop at 10 over and write a ticket for 15 over usually.
This is actually good to hear. Around here the standard is similar if not a bit more liberal, but I wonder about other jurisdictions when on long trips. Thanks for the response. Getting rolled as a cop is embarrassing.

Quote:
School zone speed complaints are HUGE here and my experience is similar to yours. Most people speeding are late teachers and stay at home soccer moms who are "just so busy!"
Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #45
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Speaking as former LEO (left a month ago for a more relaxing job) my agency (rural Wyoming county) rarely gives tickets unless it's a repeat offense or safety thing. I've let folks off with verbal warnings for 20-30 mph over the limit. The way I see it is I slowed them down for a bit, made sure they have insurance, the vehicle isn't stolen, etc. and then gave them food for thought for a while. The money from the citation just goes to the state school board who wastes it on stupid stuff (..long, rambling soap box that I'll leave off...) so why should I care to collect money for them?