Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #31
wheezyryder
Punk in Drublic

Oddometer: 21
Hi DingWeed! Without your help this wouldn't have been much of a ride report at all!

Swamp that's actually a nylon strap attempting to keep my tank panniers from hitting my knees. A little later in the trip I ended up just ditching the tank panniers entirely. Besides I know that when motorcycle parts need to be attached with tape there's only one kind of tape for the job and it mostly comes in grey color
wheezyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezyryder View Post
Hi DingWeed! Without your help this wouldn't have been much of a ride report at all!

Swamp that's actually a nylon strap attempting to keep my tank panniers from hitting my knees. A little later in the trip I ended up just ditching the tank panniers entirely. Besides I know that when motorcycle parts need to be attached with tape there's only one kind of tape for the job and it mostly comes in grey color
Mike - you not restricted to the old boring Grey anymore!

Mark

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #33
bromax.ca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

In our world, prepping the bikes usually involves a grinder, a welder, and various sizes of hammers.

Bikes prepped and packed......2004 KLR and a 1983 BMW R80ST......we like dull butter knives.!!
Love you humor.
bromax.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #34
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #35
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Trying out Tapatalk!!......does a D-606 look Good in the sign tree??!!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #36
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,030

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #37
Off Road USA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Uh oh, you may have started something with that tire Scott..!!
Off Road USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #38
vinnard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Love Utah, still need to ride in Colorado!! Sub'd.
vinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #39
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
Trying out Tapatalk!!......does a D-606 look Good in the sign tree??!!

Scott....are you turning that tree into the "Tree of shame"?

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Sorry all, was hoping Mike would get on this with his side/pics. But I promise to plow through and continue later today.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #40
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Hey Scott.....here's are self shot pic. Bummed you can't see my bike very well, but I have a prominent 3.2% beer belly thanks to your hospitality!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Great pic!!!!
As far as the tire goes.......I took it down!
Scott
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #42
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Oddometer: 605
awesome report!

LRMC sucks ASS!

Can't stand HD bikes! Loud POSs and nothing but posers.
XICAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #43
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

I suck....I'll get to this in the am.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #44
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Ended day 1 in Mexican Hat Utah....and I'm sure you've seen a million and one pics of the rock that is Mexican Hat. Am I right? Well good, 'cause I didn't fuggin' take one.

We headed towards the Moki Dugway seen in the foreground in the next pic. Goal was to try and find the spot that Dingweed, Bigdog and friends camped at. No dice, so we bushwhacked for a bit with the hopes of camping at the edge. After tipping over in some fesch fesch following Mike, we had a spot. And we weren't the first ones to camp here. Amazing where you find a fire ring. Then we had some of Colorado's finest and took some shots from the edge.

Mike thought this shot would be cool....

It was pretty neat....unless your dumb ass drops your goggles 15' below.

It was a nice spot....

Got up to a great sunrise

First time I think in my life I camped with the rainfly off....it was liberating. I was pretty convinced some dude wasn't gonna sneak up on me in the middle of the night and,

WRITE ON MY FACE WITH A SHARPIE!.

WARNING: I do that kind of stuff to friends who pass out before me. I'm just saying!

On to ride back down the Moki Dugway to officially start section 1 in Utah.

We started the in the Valley of the Gods ...... a passenger car could make it through here no problem-o which made me feel like a pussy.

This place was freakin' cool!!!

Nothing to technical about that road, back for our 3rd run of the Moki and heading towards Snow Flat road. There were a few ! marks in the notations about this road indicating deep sand. Pfffftttttt......sand.....I've ridden in sand before.! Geeze....

Nope, not really!

This road was quite fun, sand to keep you on your toes and lots of rock to regain traction.

We ran into a guy on a 690 from Texas....his buddy on a Vstrom was a bit behind him. He told us we were the first they had run into running the Utah BDR. We shared road conditon stories as he eyed my R80 and me up and down. "You pretty good with that thing, 'cause I don't think you'll be able to make it over some sections with that thing." Even though I have 50mm KTM forks on my bike he still felt a dude on a stock suspended KLR was superior to me on my R80 airhead. Pffffttttt........Mike tried to indicate verbally that he was a noobish off road rider and I was the one with a few more years under my belt, but the guy kept eyeing me and my mount.

I used to work at Vidal Sassoon back in Boston, one of the stylists did the same thing...eyed you from feet up. That dude was the biggest dingbat queen I'd ever met, so I just put that image in the forefront of my mind to keep me from tearing that dude from limb to limb. You're welcome you fucker!

It was on this road that I really learned what "deep sand" was....and there were several sections that you could tell were going to be deeper, but you'd get caught off guard every now and then. We passed only one other person the first few miles in....guy in a red taco from Colorado. After getting in the groove and understanding a bit more of how best to not bust your ass in the sand, Mike came to a screeching hault and made a U turn.

"What's up?".... I asked as he hung his head pointed at his bars where his phone-cum-GPS should've been. Shit. First thing came to mind was the guy in the taco had either run it over or picked it up. We were lucky that day as the guy was sitting at the gate, contemplating what to do. I saw him stick his hand out the window holding the phone......I like it out here.!

We were whipped and our day was only half done.....we limped into Blanding for a cold drink. That's how you know you're working hard, when you look forward to sitting down with a cold glass of water.... It was here I had my first temper tantrum when I noticed my Sven saw was awol. I was also having problems depressing my rear brake when I realized my boot sole was getting in the way. Duct tape out and boot and girly pants taped up we heading into the San Juan and up over the Abajo Mountains. It was nice to see some green shit again....

It got to a point around 6.30pm that Mike was done. "We have to find a place to camp". I was totally with him, but this wasn't a good spot to find flat ground that wasn't the road. I took the lead and had a lot of fun hauling ass through here. I think around 8-8.30 we found a campground that was on the map. It was just outside of Monticello Utah.

One of the only nights I forgot to take a pic..... I remember we ate a lot of food that night. We just kept boiling water and pouring it into various foil baggies of crap we had brought to consume. Mike got a hold of my dehydrated rasberries and had red dust all over his face for the rest of the night. We were visited by a mama doe and her 2 kids....they walked around the grounds as though they lived there. Wait......that came out wrong.

In the morning Mike took a bit of a "french whore" bath behind a strung up tarp, I had bathed the day previous in some freezing ass creek....I was set for a bit. As in, I had yet to offend myself so screw everyone else! Mike indicated he wasn't feeling so hot, maybe it was the rasberries in his oatmeal.....altitude, dehydration...dunno. But he released his cookies several times till we got loaded and headed out to start section 2 in Utah..

We were about a mile and half outside of Monticello, heading in for fuel and supplies when Mike dropped from my rear view......god I hope he didn't puke in his helmet. That would suck....... So I spun around and got back to him.

" Are you ok? Do you need to puke?" Even though he looked like it, that wasn't the problem.......

"I dunno, I was behind you when the motor made a really weird *poof* sound, and I hit the kill switch and pulled over to the side. Can you see anything wrong??"

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 10:49 AM
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #45
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Great report. It was nice to meet you guys at the 3 Step!
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is online now   Reply With Quote