Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #76
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 762
relieved, you guys found motorcycle heaven...I was starting to go with mike at "the hills have eyes" chop shop

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #77
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 619
Thanks for sharing this, we too plan on doing the same two BDRs later this year.

The best rider is the one who enjoys it most.
Turborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #78
wheezyryder
Punk in Drublic

Oddometer: 21
1024x768_bestfit by mikegarner1979, on Flickr

So when Jenna took off to get the car and trailer, I figured I had about 6 hours to sit there. In the hundred degree heat. And try not to puke up the water I was drinking. I was feeling pretty damn adventurey at that point. I tied one end of my tarp to the bike and staked the other end to the ground. It was just enough of a shelter to crawl under and avoid being cooked by the midday sun. I got pics of the view from underneath and thought about crawling out to get the outside view but it was too hot and I felt too sick.

wheezyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #79
wheezyryder
Punk in Drublic

Oddometer: 21

This horse was in the pasture that I was "camped" in front of. He whinnied and made other horse gestures to let me know that he was keenly interested in me and all my gear spread out on the other side of his fence. For a second I thought about walking up and pet his muzzle. Then I remembered that I don't know a damn thing about horses. I wasn't sure if he meant "come over here and pet me" or "come over here so I can kick you in the face".

So when a man and his wife pulled up in a stake-bed F350 I assumed it was the rancher who's driveway I was partially blocking. I was half asleep under the tarp, hadn't showered in a few days and probably had puke on my breath. I crawled out from under the tarp and started to apologize for blocking the driveway. They told me that they were both adventure riders and asked if I was ok. I told them my sob story and showed them my mortally wounded bike. They introduced themselves as Scott and Julie and told me they owned a bed-and-breakfast in the area that I could stay at and that they had a full shop where i could work on the bike. They offered to load my bike up on their truck and take me there. They even knew people in the area that might be able to help find a KLR head.

That all sounded great but there was only one dilemma. Based on what they were telling me the bed-and-breakfast wasn't a place that could be found on Google Maps. I was worried that if I took off into parts unknown Jenna might end up driving all over southeastern Utah trying to find it. My only method of communicating with Jenna was via cell phone/texting and they assured me that cellular devices did not work within several miles of their place. But they seemed like good people so I went for it. We rolled my bike up on a little hill to get it onto the back of their truck. When Scott produced 4 ratchet straps and soft ties to secure my bike to the back of the truck, it was clear that he did in fact know something about motorcycles. When I got into the air-conditioned cab of their truck and started heading to their place, I started feeling a lot better about my situation.

wheezyryder screwed with this post 07-27-2014 at 07:53 PM
wheezyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #80
Bluebone
straight to hell

Oddometer: 2,331
Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #81
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Oddometer: 605
Good looking horse but I am sure it would have kicked your ass

LRMC sucks ASS!

Can't stand HD bikes! Loud POSs and nothing but posers.
XICAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #82
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #83
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 653
Hell ya, keep this coming.
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #84
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Great read, looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #85
ubermick
the n00biest

Oddometer: 160
Bloody hell. It's like Long Way Down meets Survivorman! (Think actually there was a Survivorman episode where he got stuck in the Sonoran desert on a bike).

Kinda makes me want to do a survival course and maybe a little EMT training before heading out on a trip in the desert!
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #86
Animal Instinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
You got yourself a barn burner going

What a great report.

More please.
Animal Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #87
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,236
So, knowing that I wasn't exactly sure where the hell I was going, I turned on the spot. Hoping Mike would have the sense to check and see that I was on track if, IF he had internet.

So we left off here....

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

More like.....here....

I got lucky. Mike was at the end of the "driveway" with some dude in a funny hat astride a red honda dump/mule thingy. They call them "bikes" in Canada. I saw the 3 Step Hideaway sign and guffawed. "No fuckin' way!" I should've taken a pic of Mike standing there with his arms in the air ala "TOUCHDOWN!". But I was still too dumfounded to even speak.

"Follow us......"

So, so....lemme back up a hair.

Not many RR's on here when reasearching the CO and UT BDR's. But one stood out.

Meet Scott....

I ripped this awesome pic of Scott from BigDog. I didn't have one to display what a cool guy Scott is. This one comes pretty close.....mainly it's that smile. He's one happy guy!

Mike took most of the pics of Scott and Julie. I really don't have any. Yes, ........I suck.

I got down to Scott's shop, and Mike's KLR was already torn apart up on the Handy lift. They had been scheming while waiting on me. I broke out the cooler, met Julie and started handing out beers. I think Julie already had one, my kind of people, and Mike began telling me the story of how he came to be here. Scott and Julie had seen the 2 of us on the side of the road pre "yard sale". Thinking we were just taking a break, they continued on to church down in Blanding UT. But on their way home, they saw the pasty white guy under a tarp tied to a mortally wounded KLR. Sounds like they had to drag his ass in the truck....he was afraid I couldn't find him. Good friend. I would've driven all over creation to find him especially if I knew it would increase our chances of continuing.

3 step is a cool place.

The have several places to sleep. A few Teepees, a couple of bunk houses, and 2 family style cabins. I suppose you could just sleep on the ground somewhere if you're a cheap bastard. The Cantina houses Scott and Julie, the kitchen, their bathroom/laundry, and what else......the bar of course. Scott has a nice collection of local brews in the beer fridge behind the bar. Help yourself, and keep your own tab. Brilliant. They have a nice wood stove in there, I wished it was a bit colder to enjoy and also a wood burning hot tub in between the mens/ladies bathhouse. The sun powers this sucker, so electricity is in short supply. I never once turned the light switch on in the bathroom. It just felt natural. Scott's shop houses some famous inmates bikes besides his.

He had an assortment of tools, and the already mentioned lift. We were set to put the KLR back on the road....except it was missing a head. offfff......

Anyway, Scott and Julie both raised our sprits as though it was another tire change. I mean they made a shit tonof KLRs, there's gotta be a head somewhere closeby.

So of course, Scott continued to go above and beyond and got on the internet phone to Fred at Arrowhead In Moab. He had said Fred was currently parting out a mid 2000 KLR...but Mike noted that KLR heads are in hot demand. Another achilles heal that is purchased in bulk....he was getting pukey again. We had been put in a bunkhouse, with a composting toilet. Super cool!!! Mike had celebrated too much, and begain purging all of that awesome pale ale that is Squatters full suspension. Bummer.....

Anyway, we were just in the right place at the right time. Mike's body obviously needed to rest instead of ride, and apparently the KLR needed to be loved more than normal. Monday tuned into "small electronics day"....we bombarded ADVrider as well as other KLR forums. Ebaymotors was annihilated, I called out on FB and ended up with an engine in Huntsville Alabama thanks to RTWDoug. But he couldn't get it here in time,...instead it became a fall guy.

"Maybe we could turn tail for home, Doug said he can drop the motor by on his way thru Atlanta. Put the new motor in, and go to Arkansas or just head north for a few days..." Pussies.....

Scott wouldn't hear of it.....he wanted our trip to continue, in some ways, more than we did. So we continued searching....but couldn't find one that would work time/money wise. We headed into Moab as Mike is an avid Moutain bike bra and wanted to see it for his own eyes. Slick rock is everywhere.... We ate a cheap lunch and headed back to 3 step with the engine fully weighing on our minds. We couldn't really afford to stay at 3 step for a week and continue after parts purchase. Mike was still feeling like shite, and I'm certain this wasn't helping.

Tail between our legs, we told Scott and Julie we probably would put the KLR on the trailer and head for home the slow way. Camping at cool places along the way, and maybe avoiding the interstate. Be home on Friday, motor on Saturday.....test ride Sunday....back on the road Monday.

"No, no no.......just wait a while longer. Something will come up."

And it did in the form of a head in Olympia Washington. It popped up at 7.30 our time...so it was only 6.30 in Washington. There was a number.....Mike called it. And believe it or not, the dude answered. Mike told him the sob story, the guy on the other end began asking questions which was a good sign. He actually cared. Head with shipping came to around 400$ and he swore to overnight it first thing in the morning. Pfffttttt.....I need a drink.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #88
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Bloody hell. It's like Long Way Down meets Survivorman! (Think actually there was a Survivorman episode where he got stuck in the Sonoran desert on a bike).

Kinda makes me want to do a survival course and maybe a little EMT training before heading out on a trip in the desert!
You should. Nothing wrong with being prepared

LRMC sucks ASS!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #89
Backoutonthehighway
Blame it on my 80HD

Oddometer: 602
I was just checking out Scott's place yesterday to see if I can fit it in on the next ride. Can't wait to meet the guy now. Congratulations on the connection!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #90
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Things are starting to look good now

LRMC sucks ASS!