Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Ever think about how long it would take to find a helmet to buy on a Sunday morning while out on a ride?
My general spares inventory includes a new helmet and a new sump pump. Some spares I will allow to go out of stock for a time, but never these two particular items.

I know you're referring to helmet damage or loss during a ride; keeping a new helmet on hand will likely allow the rider to reclaim the day. Even on Sunday.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 584
Don't discount the assholes who just cut the straps and steal it, even though it is then useless to anyone
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,087
I have standard mirrors, so I stuff my gloves in the helmet (to protect the interior) and run a short cable lock through the chin bar and handlebar hand guard.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #19
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I never leave the helmet on the bike unless I'm with 15 feet and looking right at it. I got into the habit in high school. My particular circle friends specialized in practical jokes and nothing was off limits. Fortunately, as we were a rather dimwitted bunch, there was no elaborate scheming; our hijinks were primarily limited to targets of opportunity.

There was only one other guy at school that rode a bike, Tony. Tony, was the type that wanted to fight over any transgression and insult, real or imagined and he left his helmet hanging on the bars all the time. When I saw this, I immediately recognized the opportunity and resolved never to leave myself exposed.

During our senior year, while walking in to school one morning, one of my friends, Dan, jumped at the opportunity. Thinking the bike and helmet were mine, filled the helmet with wet, muddy turf. Needless to say, Tony wasn't happy. Discovering his faux pas, Dan actually fessed up and apologized.
Violent tendencies aside, Tony was neither very big nor very tough. Dan was both. Dan was able to evade the few punches that were thrown and, wrapping Tony up in a half nelson/choke hold until he tired/relented, avoided having to throw any of his own. After the cessation of hostilities, Dan even offered to clean out the helmet but Tony refused (in so many words) and marched off in righteous indignation.

Tony and I had a laugh about it at our 30 yr reunion (Dan was unable to attend).

Veteran Noob screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:23 PM
Veteran Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #20
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,835
One good reason to hang a helmet on a foot peg versus a mirror - if it falls off it is a far shorter drop!

I use the helmet lock or for long term will thread a cable through the face bar and lock it to the wheel. But most of the time I just carry it on short stops and errand running. Makes a great small grocery basket.

Putting it on the mirrors is just too unstable as is hanging it on the grip. Barely better than sitting it on the seat.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 AM   #21
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,248
I sometimes put it on the mirror, or seat, if I have a passenger. I have a lock near the rear peg that I also use. If the trunk is empty it goes in their.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #22
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Figured out not to put a helmet on the foot peg anymore when I melted the strap on the exhaust.

Anyways, I will never leave my helmet unattended anymore. 3 years ago when I was living in Phoenix I came out to a wet helmet. I didn't know it was wet until I put it on. After a few minutes on my head, I figured out what it was. Piss!

Last year I locked my fiance's helmet on my bike for about an hour. Came out and the straps had been cut and the helmet stolen. That proved to be a challenge to get her back home that night.
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #23
Ernest T
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I hang my helmet on the peg quite often on the Trophy. It's a sport tourer and there is no place to store it securely when I stop. The Gold Wing has an nice flat seat so I use that when I stop on it and the other bikes have mirrors which work well.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #24
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
I'll leave it on the foot peg if I'm stopping for a photo at an overlook or strapped to the helmet lock if I'm going hiking; the helmet comes with me the rest of the time.
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #25
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
I wear a Nolan so regular helmet locks don't work. I usually clip it to the crash bar on the V-Strom or to a cable mounted to the helmet lock on the Royal Star. At work no one is likely to mess with my helmet.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #26
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
I nearly allways have the big wolfman tankbag on my KLR. When parked I set the helmet with gloves inside between the tankbag and windscreen over the ignition switch[with the keys in it] , uh-oh ! My bike is in peril now !
But, so far no one has noticed , cared or felt tempted to risk their health to bother my most un -shiney bike or helmet.
Maybe that will change , now that is hailed as an icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVoaKdc8org

Enjoy the video, but don't touch my bike !

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 06:33 AM
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #27
kballowe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Depends on the bike. Some bikes have a good passenger peg location and the helmet hangs there just fine.

Most times, I just set it on the pavement. I do this because I've never found a motorcycle seat that could contain the suicidal tendencies of my helmets - they always jump off at the most inopportune moment.

Never hang your helmet on a passenger peg while at a bar - with the opening "up". There's always that one guy........
'10 GL1800, '06 VTX1300C
kballowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #28
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I've been leaving mine hanging from a passenger peg. It's older, and I'm in the market for a replacement so I won't be too upset if it disappeared. But I wonder what I'll do once I get something more valuable. It doesn't seem like a common theft item unless maybe it has some flashy graphics that attract the squid crowd?

I didn't realize messing with it was so common.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #29
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,207
I've left my jacket, backpack, helmet, and gloves on the bike all over the US. Maybe it's the beat up helmet that no one wants, maybe it's the fact that I have no friends to play pranks.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #30
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
...hang a helmet from a motorcycle peg? ugh.
If they're staying within sight of the bike, why not?

If they're not, I don't even trust the helmet locks, and I usually remove them from my bikes. That's what a topcase, PacSafe bag, a backpack, or your carrying hand are for.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote