Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #16
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,658
I'll be doing that next time I have to change tires on my DR. It can't hurt, and even if the tire isn't air-tight, it would at least slow the leak down some and improve your chances of being able to stop safely.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #17
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I'll be doing that next time I have to change tires on my DR. It can't hurt, and even if the tire isn't air-tight, it would at least slow the leak down some and improve your chances of being able to stop safely.

Honestly though, think about it. How many bazillion miles motorcyclists have ridden without a front puncture. The odds of you having a re-occurrence is extremely low.

The only thing I've ever had happen with a front tire was spinning a tube ripping the stem out on my trials bike in the midst of an event (or maybe not), but no problem, it was a 4 ply and was just about right! Now when I spun the rear tube on the third loop and had one more to go, I had to paddle like mad in most traps, 2 ply rear tires flop around quite a bit when flat. I replaced the crap rim locks with screws next time.

Not to say don't take precautions, but just to say your experience is highly likely to never happen again.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #18
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Honestly though, think about it. How many bazillion miles motorcyclists have ridden without a front puncture. The odds of you having a re-occurrence is extremely low.

The only thing I've ever had happen with a front tire was spinning a tube ripping the stem out on my trials bike in the midst of an event (or maybe not), but no problem, it was a 4 ply and was just about right! Now when I spun the rear tube on the third loop and had one more to go, I had to paddle like mad in most traps, 2 ply rear tires flop around quite a bit when flat. I replaced the crap rim locks with screws next time.

Not to say don't take precautions, but just to say your experience is highly likely to never happen again.
I've never had a front flat, just one rear. But I'll need a new rim strip next time a change tires anyway so I might as well try the duct tape trick.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,062
Oops, didn't look at the names on the posts... my bad.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:43 AM   #20
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 173
I had a front puncture on my DRZ-400sm. Didn't crash, but it was a PITA. So I adapted a set of tubeless wheels, carried a plug kit and compressor after that. End of problem.

I used to drag race, and in the old days, that meant using tubes. After pulling the valve stems out of a gazillion rear tubes, I sealed the spokes and ran the slick tubeless. It did leak a bit, but a top-off a few minutes before a run was simple (since I had compressed air to operate the controls). Made my life a LOT easier.