http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FR74xJ-c8Q
Old 07-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
pfetter OP
TCretro

Oddometer: 45
Nice video

Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
That is a reason to plan a trip to Mass.
pfetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I have a MAR and a YankeeZ.

Ricky Stator will have a Regulator that will allow you to use 12volt bulbs.

You should replace the cranks seals, other wise it may run lean and stick the motor.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 AM   #19
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfetter View Post
What is a popular oil for the gearbox and what is a popular oil to mix with the fuel and what is the ratio you guys use for the fuel oil mix.
Down here, we tend to run ATF in the gearboxes of the old OSSAs. I use old racegas from my TZ Yamahas, which is basically Avgas with Castrol 747 race 2-stroke oil at 33:1.

But at least on these plonking-type OSSAs, I'll happily run low octane fresh pump gas and modern 2-stroke synthetic of any known brand at 40 or 50:1. I just use the old racegas to avoid having to dump it.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
pfetter OP
TCretro

Battery for Ossa pioneer

On a shop manual I uploaded it mentions a battery in the ignition system. Has anyone ever run one. I have a old BMW airhead that is 6 volt with a magneto start and the battery is just for the lights so I use a small 6 volt battery from a emergency light system and it works quite well. I am in the midst of checking all electrical on the pioneer as it starts and runs but none of the lights or kill switch or horn work. I like to get familiar with my new old bikes before I get too far back in the woods.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #21
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

The ignition side of the Motoplat is separate from the lighting side.

Use this is you want 12 volt lights.
AC Voltage Regulator
[RS610203]

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/v...ator-p-85.html

This one if you want to charge a battery.

Single Phase Rectifier/Regulator
[RS20403S]

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/s...ator-p-88.html

I run Lucas TC oil @ 20-1 this is what the factory said to mix at.

I do not know what happened to Matts Nybergs site but it was THE Ossa info site.

Here is the link but it is not working right now.
http://hem.passagen.se/ossa/
Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
pfetter OP
TCretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
The ignition side of the Motoplat is separate from the lighting side.

Use this is you want 12 volt lights.
AC Voltage Regulator
[RS610203]

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/v...ator-p-85.html

This one if you want to charge a battery.

Single Phase Rectifier/Regulator
[RS20403S]

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/s...ator-p-88.html

I run Lucas TC oil @ 20-1 this is what the factory said to mix at.

I do not know what happened to Matts Nybergs site but it was THE Ossa info site.

Here is the link but it is not working right now.
http://hem.passagen.se/ossa/

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
That is a reason to plan a trip to Mass.
Yup. Jim Hoellerich's private collection is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen (and I have traveled quite extensively around the world). And I don't mean incredible for bike-related things, just plain incredible! And I don't mean just for a local sight, I mean for ANYWHERE! How one man, a rural dairy farmer, with a personal interest in old (mostly) Spanish dirt bikes, spurred on by the ISDT taking place in his "backyard", built this collection is just awe- inspiring. Every bike is as good as new (or better) and runs. When asked how he did it, he replied (in his droll Yankee accent), "I never watched TV". No, he just worked the farm from sun-up until after sun-down, then lovingly rebuilt these bikes and collected the artifacts. He isn't some rich guy like Leno or Seinfeld who just bought some bikes, etc. to create a collection. You have to see it to believe it!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #24
pfetter OP
TCretro

Spark Arrestor

You guys have been very helpful so far. I now have a question that in Michigan especially in my area they say I should have a US Forestry Approved Spark Arrestor. About the only one I can find is one from FMF Racing, I called them and they do not make one specifically for the OSSA Pioneer, they said to order the universal fit and I would have to possible make an adapter pipe (which would not be a problem). Question is have any of you found a Forestry Approved Spark Arrestor for use on a Pioneer.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #25
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

You need a Krizman spark arrestor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-R-KRIZMAN-...5da278&vxp=mtr
Old 08-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #26
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:

1972 Ossa Pioneer

Are there any Ossa Enduro owners out there. I just picked up a 1972 Ossa Pioneer today. Owner had replaced tires, sprockets and chain. It runs but needs a little work before it is ridden. As I go through the bike I was looking for a good forum to ask questions on.
Attached Images

I worked at a Ossa shop in 1972 when these were sold new. I rode a 175 Pioneer at one enduro. Had a MAR. Our shop even had Mick over two year's in a row to put on Trials Schools and a trials even. Great bikes.

Your's looks great. It has the later exhaust, I remember that the 1972 model still had a chrome muffler that was held on with a spring and you could pull it for 'off, off-road'. We would saw that newer muffler off and just run the pipe. It was not very loud, sounded good.

The petcocks and carb float needles really sucked on these bikes. But, the ignition was weed burner strong. Several stories.

A racer/customer wanted to check the spark on a pioneer, the spark plug was on the right, kicker on the left. Well, I kicked too soon, before he got the plug grounded. He was holding the plug in his fingers and his fingernail was touching the fins. The ignition burned a 1/16" hole in his fingernail and his thumb was numb for a day or so.

The big shop in town sold Yamahas. The DT-1's were very popular, but they had points and a terrible seal on the ignition cover. You'd often see a crowd on the trail trying to get these sparking again. All the owners were experts on cleaning points, plugs and sealing covers or they walked a lot. Our little shop sold Ossa's and when ever the boss saw someone show up on a DT-1, he would show them the hell fire ignition. In front of the customer he would pull the spark plug and cover it with chain lube. It would be foamed up really high where you couldn't even see the end of the plug. Then he would put it back in and start the bike with one kick. I saw one DT-1 owner actually reach for his wallet and start counting out bills without saying anything.

The leaky petcocks, leaky brass float needles and hell fire 6 pole Motoplat ignition made the transmission bearings go out. What? How would that happen? Well, they would fill the sump with gas overnight. It would always start and run. It would overpressure the bottom end and pump gas out past the crank seals, usually most would go into the transmission. It would over fill the trans with gas and the excess would go out the vent, which was directly over the counter shaft sprocket onto the chain. Once the bike heated up the gas fumes would evaporate and the trans lube would drop. Then the bearings would fail. Replace the carb with a Mikuni and the transmission would last for a long time.

Got lots more...
Old 08-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #27
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I worked at a Ossa shop in 1972 when these were sold new. I rode a 175 Pioneer at one enduro. Had a MAR. Our shop even had Mick over two year's in a row to put on Trials Schools and a trials even. Great bikes.

Your's looks great. It has the later exhaust, I remember that the 1972 model still had a chrome muffler that was held on with a spring and you could pull it for 'off, off-road'. We would saw that newer muffler off and just run the pipe. It was not very loud, sounded good.

The petcocks and carb float needles really sucked on these bikes. But, the ignition was weed burner strong. Several stories.

A racer/customer wanted to check the spark on a pioneer, the spark plug was on the right, kicker on the left. Well, I kicked too soon, before he got the plug grounded. He was holding the plug in his fingers and his fingernail was touching the fins. The ignition burned a 1/16" hole in his fingernail and his thumb was numb for a day or so.

The big shop in town sold Yamahas. The DT-1's were very popular, but they had points and a terrible seal on the ignition cover. You'd often see a crowd on the trail trying to get these sparking again. All the owners were experts on cleaning points, plugs and sealing covers or they walked a lot. Our little shop sold Ossa's and when ever the boss saw someone show up on a DT-1, he would show them the hell fire ignition. In front of the customer he would pull the spark plug and cover it with chain lube. It would be foamed up really high where you couldn't even see the end of the plug. Then he would put it back in and start the bike with one kick. I saw one DT-1 owner actually reach for his wallet and start counting out bills without saying anything.

The leaky petcocks, leaky brass float needles and hell fire 6 pole Motoplat ignition made the transmission bearings go out. What? How would that happen? Well, they would fill the sump with gas overnight. It would always start and run. It would overpressure the bottom end and pump gas out past the crank seals, usually most would go into the transmission. It would over fill the trans with gas and the excess would go out the vent, which was directly over the counter shaft sprocket onto the chain. Once the bike heated up the gas fumes would evaporate and the trans lube would drop. Then the bearings would fail. Replace the carb with a Mikuni and the transmission would last for a long time.

Got lots more...
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #28
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
Yup. Jim Hoellerich's private collection is one of the most incredible things I have ever seen (and I have traveled quite extensively around the world). And I don't mean incredible for bike-related things, just plain incredible! And I don't mean just for a local sight, I mean for ANYWHERE! How one man, a rural dairy farmer, with a personal interest in old (mostly) Spanish dirt bikes, spurred on by the ISDT taking place in his "backyard", built this collection is just awe- inspiring. Every bike is as good as new (or better) and runs. When asked how he did it, he replied (in his droll Yankee accent), "I never watched TV". No, he just worked the farm from sun-up until after sun-down, then lovingly rebuilt these bikes and collected the artifacts. He isn't some rich guy like Leno or Seinfeld who just bought some bikes, etc. to create a collection. You have to see it to believe it!

been there twice. chatted with him @ Unadilla VMX this past June. I know he had an 1150GS but now is riding an 800. The guy is the real deal. What blows me away more than the bikes are the photo's on the wall. They are all 70's, a lot of local shots with helmets off just post race bench racing. Really took my breath that is my time and seeing pictures like that blow me away.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #29
pfetter OP
TCretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post

Got lots more...
I finally was able to take the Ossa out in the woods for the first time since I got it. When I got back I pulled the plug to see how it looked and it was pretty black and oily looking. What is the best way to lean it out some. It is running a b8es and the Lucas oil is mixed 30 to 1. Any suggestions.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #30
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Check the trans oil level to make sure the seals are not leaking.