Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
CHP forced to remove lane-splitting guidelines...

just because some random pinhead got a hair up his ass over proper administrative procedure or some such ridiculous BS.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...m_website.aspx

Quote:
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- A single complaint from a Sacramento man has forced the California Highway Patrol and other state government agencies to remove information from their websites that was intended to help motorcyclists safely execute the allowed lane-splitting maneuver.

Kenneth Mandler, a longtime state employee who now conducts training sessions on how to get a state job, petitioned the California Office of Administrative Law in 2013, claiming the CHP created an "underground regulation" by formulating and distributing guidelines for safe lane splitting.
This doesn't change anything re: the legal status of lane-splitting in California, but it does make it more difficult for riders (and cagers) to locate that information.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Middle-management government bureaucrat makes the world a worse place. yay.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
That's the thing -- he's not even a government bureaucrat, he's a FORMER government bureaucrat who now sells seminars advising people how to get state jobs with cushy pensions.

All it took was one bike-hating busybody to undo years of hard work and cooperation between the motorcycle community and the CHP.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
what a jack crap a-hole

and he probably did it just so he can somehow twist it into something to put on a resume, or use to nab potential clients

"...i was also effective in helping to overturn an underground regulation which set a dangerous precedent against California motorists putting them and their families in harms way while giving a select few special treatment on the road, and fully sanctioned by the California Highway Patrol. because of my acute knowledge of the inner workings of government i was able to spot this dangerous loophole and have it closed for good"

blah blah blah jackhole!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
This is classic wadded panties thread and I'd have thought most of you would be in favour of the man from Sacramento.

Backdoor, or underground, legislation isn't something you really want to encourage.

I'm in favour of filtering, but I'm against backdoor legislation, even when the intent is good. And before you get all angsty just remember what the road to hell is paved with.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 04:52 AM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 AM   #6
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
This is classic wadded panties thread and I'd have thought most of you would be in favour it the man from Sacramento.

Backdoor, or underground, legislation isn't something you really want to encourage.

I'm in favour of filtering, but I'm against backdoor legislation, even when the intent is good. And before you get all angsty just remember what the road to hell is paved with.
Weasel,

What are you saying? What is the good intent? From your bicycle thread posts, I'm not really sure what is it you are trying to get across?
Mike Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vaughan View Post
Weasel,

What are you saying? What is the good intent? From your bicycle thread posts, I'm not really sure what is it you are trying to get across?
The good intent was the posting of guidelines meant to help bikers filter safely and, I'd hope, to educate cagers.

As for what I'm trying to get across - folks shouldn't be upset about the actions of this guy.....he is, in fact, doing you all a favour and I'm sure when you think of the larger picture, and the implications of taking no action, you'll agree.

And what do my bicycle thread posts have to do with this?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #8
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Quote:
The good intent was the posting of guidelines meant to help bikers filter safely and, I'd hope, to educate cagers.

As for what I'm trying to get across - folks shouldn't be upset about the actions of this guy.....he is, in fact, doing you all a favour and I'm sure when you think of the larger picture, and the implications of taking no action, you'll agree.

What is the larger picture exactly?

Your bicycle threads have the same tone you expressed above, where you seem to be dancing around the discussion.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM   #9
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:

Why don't I use the ignore button?

Catweasel's brother in this story did not remove backdoor legislation. All he did was get public safety information removed. Lane splitting is still not illegal, riders just don't have the same easy access to good advice regarding the process.
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #10
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vaughan View Post
What is the larger picture exactly?

Your bicycle threads have the same tone you expressed above, where you seem to be dancing around the discussion.
I don't really think that I dance so much as I don't feel any real need to always state the obvious or google-able.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:30 AM   #11
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Quote:
I don't really think that I dance so much as I don't feel any real need to always state the obvious or google-able.
[QUOTH THE POSTER] As for what I'm trying to get across - folks shouldn't be upset about the actions of this guy.....he is, in fact, doing you all a favour and I'm sure when you think of the larger picture, and the implications of taking no action, you'll agree.[/UNQUOTH]

So basically you've said absolutely nothing.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #12
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:

So you believe that information for the public that was posted describing the LEGAL process of lane splitting/filtering California being removed is a good thing and a public service?

Where is the ignore button again, you never seem to add anything of value to a conversation, and seem to take great pride and pleasure in making snide comments about the US at every possible opportunity in every thread you can fit it into. You don't like it here, great stay away, and stay out of our issues.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #13
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
So you believe that information for the public that was posted describing the LEGAL process of lane splitting/filtering California being removed is a good thing and a public service?

Where is the ignore button again, you never seem to add anything of value to a conversation, and seem to take great pride and pleasure in making snide comments about the US at every possible opportunity in every thread you can fit it into. You don't like it here, great stay away, and stay out of our issues.
Maybe you need to a find a US only forum eh? That way you'd not get your knickers in a twist so often.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #14
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Maybe you need to a find a US only forum eh? That way you'd not get your knickers in a twist so often.
Way to ignore the entire issue regarding the fact that you think that removing public education information regarding a legal activity designed to promote safety is a good thing.....

And BTW I have no issue with the international nature of this forum, 99% of the time I think it is a wonderful thing and I thoroughly enjoy the perspective that is brought to the conversation by it. You however are normally the 1% that I take issue with in your habit of taking every opportunity to make a snide comment about issues here in the US which add nothing to the conversation.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #15
Mike Vaughan
Jagermeister

Quote:
The topic was California lane splitting. And you are trying to be Ms. Cryptic and it's not adding to this thread.

So answer my previous question, at least one of them and say it in terms even Californians can understand. Because your stock answer has been "Google it" which means you don't have one of your own. Please.

Thanks,

Mike