User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
Panza OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Practicing in parking lots...?

Howdy. Riden on my new Aprilia 750 for little over 1000 miles so far and loving every bit of it. I dont have the same confidence that I had when I was on my 250 and wanted to do some of those braking & handling exercises they teach you in classes.

Has anyone been given slack by police for whipping out some cones and practicing in a parking lot? I can understand how it would look like a bunch of shenanigans and horseplay.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 592
It would be a simple thing to call or visit the local PD who would be called out to the parking lot and ask them the question.

Some places have laws that you can't be on a school parking lot. Other places don't.

As long as you don't annoy the neighbors and aren't leaving skid marks and look like you are being careful I doubt they'd have a problem.
They might even wish they could join you.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #3
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,509
It couldn't hurt to check with local LEOs. The chief of police, in my village, happens to ride. I have a couple of office parks very close to my house. However, they are managed by a security company that's pretty aggressive when it comes to riding around in "their" parking lots. So, check to see if using a parking lot, in that manner, is OK (with all involved).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,584
Most parking lots are private property. If you try to contact the property owner for permission (which would make it completely legit), you'll probably just get rejected for fear of potential liability.

Contacting the PD might help or you might just be alerting them ahead of time to your trespassing.

Maybe there is a moto shop or some such around that would be willing to let you practice?

Or just find an abandoned lot somewhere non-residential. Plenty of those around here, not sure what it's like where you're at, though.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Howdy. Riden on my new Aprilia 750 for little over 1000 miles so far and loving every bit of it. I dont have the same confidence that I had when I was on my 250 and wanted to do some of those braking & handling exercises they teach you in classes.

Has anyone been given slack by police for whipping out some cones and practicing in a parking lot? I can understand how it would look like a bunch of shenanigans and horseplay.
short answer: beg forgiveness, buy do not ask permission, or it will be denied immediately.

we've had an entire year of regular meets at the same parking lots, for cone work, with no issues from the PD. they come, watch for a few minutes, realize it's a skill building exercise, and maybe 1 out of 20 times roll up to say hello our ask what organization we are.

that's it.

the 3 rules specified for or meets are strict and simple:
no alcohol, period ( doh)
no wheelies/burnouts/marking
if anyone falls, everyone stops, engine off, until the riser is righted and the HELPERS give a thumbs up.

of course picking up trash afterwords is a really good idea, and if a small crowd gathers ( very common) , keep them at a safe distance and informed it's a riding, not a spectators , event.

displaying your intentions by action usually means a lot more tip officers then asking to setup a race course :
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,050
Tennis balls cut in half. They take up way less space.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Tennis balls cut in half. They take up way less space.
They also suck less to run over!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Perhaps you guys are on to something but the phrase "balls cut in half" just makes me cringe.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
kabulpostie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have never been bothered, obviously best to find a place that's not busy..out of business places are great, we a large hardware store that went out of business that was perfect for training...no customers, no police, no people, no problem!
kabulpostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Panza OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizum View Post
Perhaps you guys are on to something but the phrase "balls cut in half" just makes me cringe.
+1 I play tennis and my balls are quite valuable. It always sucks when you lose them. Wait, we're talking about tennis balls right?

Walmart has the nice flatter disc cones which was what I was planning on using. : )

They fit into my camera bag quite nicely.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Go to your local MSF class site.
Lots or painted with dots for cone placement. small plastic cups work well for cones.
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a RV View Post
Lots or painted with dots for cone placement. small plastic cups work well for cones.
That's actually a pretty great idea. My local MSF operates out of a community college. On weekends, it's just a huge empty parking lot (unless there's an MSF class running) that literally no one would give a shit about if they saw a guy on a moto doing figure 8s.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a RV View Post
This is a great plan. The RC for the session I was in told us that whenever there wasn't a class in session, we were free to come practice on the marked range (which is in a never-used expansion parking lot near a mall) but that we were obviously doing it at our own risk.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
LudemJo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Just do it, don't be an idiot while you are doing it, and clean up after yourself. If anyone complains, say you are sorry and move on.

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,504
I have never asked permission to use a lot for practice, I have had the police stop to see what I was doing exactly zero times. They have driven by but never stopped. Keep it reasonable and they should not have any issues, if they do stop and ask explain what you are doing and why.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote