Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #136
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
You read all that and missed the last two lines.

Congrats.
Didn't miss them at all. Remember, this whole BS about the "guidelines" being removed from the websites and other literature has everything to do with it NOT being a law. If it was a law, the guidelines wouldn't have been removed in the first place. Yeah, its still legal by virtue of it not being made illegal. Tell that to the motorists that don't think it is legal. I'd rather tell them it is the law not "it isn't illegal". Seems to have more standing and backing than some BS loophole. As a bicyclist, I can point to laws that show that I can be outside of a bicycle lane at times, ride away from the shoulder, and even ride on a freeway shoulder. It isn't something subject only to "officer discretion" and is something that can be placed into legal documents, such as the driving manual. It isn't "oh... we just allow it". How difficult is that to comprehend?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #137
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
The fact you are blind that such a law will never get passed with only about 1% of the California population riding 2 wheeled vehicles and the rest voting against it.

Stir the shit pot on getting a law passed allowing it and you will end up licking the spoon when the backlash means we get a law banning it.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #138
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
The fact you are blind that such a law will never get passed with only about 1% of the California population riding 2 wheeled vehicles and the rest voting against it.

Stir the shit pot on getting a law passed allowing it and you will end up licking the spoon when the backlash means we get a law banning it.
That's what I'm afraid of. Let's let sleeping dogs lie. Should some legislator get a burr under his saddle and introduce legislation restricting lane sharing, we'll need to actively fight that. Hopefully the CHP will continue to come down on the side of allowing it like they have in the past.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #139
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
The fact you are blind that such a law will never get passed with only about 1% of the California population riding 2 wheeled vehicles and the rest voting against it..
I think its less than that actually
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #140
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. Let's let sleeping dogs lie. Should some legislator get a burr under his saddle and introduce legislation restricting lane sharing, we'll need to actively fight that. Hopefully the CHP will continue to come down on the side of allowing it like they have in the past.
Abso-friggin-lutely
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 PM   #141
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Unclear on how most things become law, are we? Hint:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
Should some legislator get a burr under his saddle and introduce legislation restricting lane sharing, we'll need to actively fight that. Hopefully the CHP will continue to come down on the side of allowing it like they have in the past.
Note that if a bill is introduced against it, you should make sure it also excludes motor officers.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #142
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

I guess you never heard of the Proposition system?

For fucks sake, at least be semi informed.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #143
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Unclear on how most things become law, are we? Hint:

Note that if a bill is introduced against it, you should make sure it also excludes motor officers.
Cops can drive on the sidewalk if they 'need' to.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #144
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Cops can drive on the sidewalk if they 'need' to.
CA law at some recent point forbid things being suction-cupped to the windshield. IIRC, a traffic stop that turned into something big was thrown out because the cop's camcorder that most of the evidence came from was... stuck to the windshield. The law now allows things in certain locations (IIRC bottom left and top right corners)

I can't imagine most traffic law comes from voter propositions. If so, in California, they'd just vote themselves less traffic and expect it to happen.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #145
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
CA law at some recent point forbid things being suction-cupped to the windshield. IIRC, a traffic stop that turned into something big was thrown out because the cop's camcorder that most of the evidence came from was... stuck to the windshield. The law now allows things in certain locations (IIRC bottom left and top right corners)

I can't imagine most traffic law comes from voter propositions. If so, in California, they'd just vote themselves less traffic and expect it to happen.
It works, at least up to a point, in Athens for example - to cut down on pollution and congestion, folks have to alternate the days on which they can drive their car according to their number plates - Road Space Rationing.

The benefits have been a 20% reduction in road congestion plus the commensurate reduction in air pollution.

FWIW it's been going on, with varying degrees of success, for about 2,000 years.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #146
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

MOST law don't. Vast majority don't.

But there are some.

For example, there was a proposition 213 that passed in the 90's that said that if you were committing a crime and were in an accident, you could not claim against the insurance.
Prop 200 tried to do no fault insurance.

Prop 65 covered chemical pollution, it was applied to cars.

Prop 103 rolled back insurance costs.

Several failed propositions tried to get helmets required before the law was passed. Just not enough people cared to sign the prop to get it on the ballot.

Same would happen with a PRO lane split proposition. ANTI would likely get some traction and on the ballot.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #147
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Quote:

Same would happen with a PRO lane split proposition.
How do you know? Has it ever been tried?
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #148
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

A repeal of the helmet law was tried. could not get signatures to get on the ballet.

one of the effects of putting forth a proposition is that a competing one gets circulated almost immediately by those opposed to it.

One that was ANTI would likely get far more signatures from the 99% that don't ride.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #149
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 178
I honestly don't think enough people care either way to really make it an issue unless motorcyclists make it an issue. Just let it go and things will inevitably go back to the way they were. Keep stirring the pot and eventually things will come to a tipping point.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #150
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacman View Post
I honestly don't think enough people care either way to really make it an issue unless motorcyclists make it an issue. Just let it go and things will inevitably go back to the way they were. Keep stirring the pot and eventually things will come to a tipping point.

And just why is this so hard for some people here to figure out?!?
Do we have a "law" saying it's ok to eat produce you grow I'm your back yard?
No?
Is it legal?
Yes?

Can you imagine how completely fucked we would be if things had to be allowed rather than disallowed?