Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #46
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
My biggest complaint in this is that for a brief while we were able to point to California as an example of how this should be done, there were no laws prohibiting it there and there were actually guidelines on how it should be safely executed published by a state agency. I have been actively involved in attempting (rather unsuccessfully) to attempt to get some of the laws in my area changed to at least remove the prohibition on lane splitting removed from the books. This is a step backwards in getting the laws changed to reflect what is safer and more logical. Unfortunately self righteous pricks like the little twerp who got California to back off will never willingly let any of this pass, it would allow somebody to go in front of them and they would view it as "cutting in line".
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #47
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Personally, I see no harm in CA crafting an actual, written lane-splitting law. If anything, it's probably a *very good* thing for riders nationwide, as having a law on the books then gives other states something concrete to emulate and pass. No other U.S. state is going to eliminate laws against lane splitting and leave it in legal limbo like California does today, but if there's an actual, enforceable written law in place, we riders might be able to get more states to move on this, someday.
I'd be interesting in hearing how you would intend to provide enforcement action for 'unsafe' lane splitting.

Because what I hear from quite a lot of people against it is that they can't figure that part out, and that's what's keeping it from being legalized.

That and random assholes like the kid I saw on a supermoto a couple weeks ago, using three lanes of I-5 and both shoulders to move through traffic; he's the mental image everyone gets of "legal" lane splitting.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #48
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ed-4270272.php

This article sure made it sound like it was law written in stone...from the guys area also.

I noticed an increase in people not moving or moving into the splitting space the last couple days...but I doubt people are so savvy they follow the CHP page for daily updates....
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #49
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
My biggest complaint in this is that for a brief while we were able to point to California as an example of how this should be done, there were no laws prohibiting it there and there were actually guidelines on how it should be safely executed published by a state agency. I have been actively involved in attempting (rather unsuccessfully) to attempt to get some of the laws in my area changed to at least remove the prohibition on lane splitting removed from the books. This is a step backwards in getting the laws changed to reflect what is safer and more logical. Unfortunately self righteous pricks like the little twerp who got California to back off will never willingly let any of this pass, it would allow somebody to go in front of them and they would view it as "cutting in line".
Brief while? Before the "guidelines" were published, we had a very long and successful California example to point to, where lane splitting was not illegal, not defined in the vehicle code. The guidelines served to confuse people who assumed there were now laws on the books regulating lane-splitting. We are better off now, without the guidelines muddying the issue.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #50
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
catweasal you are wrong about this and have little and no idea of our politics or law in our country, or my state

i assure you the person who brought this action has no interest in protecting our rights, lane splitting, or anything else and is a self involved, self serving, politically motivated a-hole who wants to further his puny career by any tiny means necessary. and this "issue" was most likely his easiest target because really, who the hell is going to care but some of us who ride?
this.

unless you ride in California, this conversation doesn't pertain to you.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is

eatpasta screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 12:15 PM
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #51
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I recommend that anyone interested in this issue read the actual petition, and related emails:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/asse...io10-07-13.pdf

I suggest folks read the actual petition, particularly paragraph 6 in the lead document. If you scan through all 28 pages, towards the end he goes off on a couple of nasty, snide rants against the CHP (ex. for parking in a non-parking spot front of a Starbucks) etc. I suspect he really has a beef against the CHP, and lane-splitting is only a sideline victim.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #52
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
If you scan through all 28 pages, towards the end he goes off on a couple of nasty, snide rants against the CHP (ex. for parking in a non-parking spot front of a Starbucks) etc. I suspect he really has a beef against the CHP, and lane-splitting is only a sideline victim.

on a side note, I spent about 45 minutes splitting with a CHP on Friday. It was weird - he would let me in and I would lead and the traffic would open up a bit and he would lead and then back and forth.
I think he just wanted to make sure I wasn't a douche....either way it was very professional and especially when I was following, a very efficient way to slice traffic

Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #53
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
I recommend that anyone interested in this issue read the actual petition, and related emails:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/asse...io10-07-13.pdf

I suggest folks read the actual petition, particularly paragraph 6 in the lead document. If you scan through all 28 pages, towards the end he goes off on a couple of nasty, snide rants against the CHP (ex. for parking in a non-parking spot front of a Starbucks) etc. I suspect he really has a beef against the CHP, and lane-splitting is only a sideline victim.

Dude has an axe to grind that is for sure. The part about "CHP getting what it paid for" was pretty cute.

Someone should foreward that tripe to UC and see what they have to say about it. Generally well regarded research institutions takes any challenge to their integrity pretty seriously.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #54
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
I suggest folks read the actual petition, particularly paragraph 6 in the lead document.
Im only on page two and man, there is already quite a lot of assumptions made on behalf of millions of people and a ton of BS

Quote:
the car driverpopulation sustains substantial mental stress from the continuing “lane weaving” antics of typical
motorcycle drivers
Quote:
A significant percentage of the car drivers disagree that motorcycle drivers have the “extra” rights to weave
between lanes
Quote:
The car driver population would prefer that the California Highway Patrol enforce the law as it clearly
now stands and not provide for additional “exceptions” to a
favored population.
Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #55
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Brief while? Before the "guidelines" were published, we had a very long and successful California example to point to, where lane splitting was not illegal, not defined in the vehicle code. The guidelines served to confuse people who assumed there were now laws on the books regulating lane-splitting. We are better off now, without the guidelines muddying the issue.
You are safer now without guidelines for other motorists to know what they can expect when encountering lane splitting? You're better off not knowing what constitutes safe lane splitting so you can avoid being pulled over and ticketed for reckless driving based on an individual officer's opinion?
I don't see how that can be.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #56
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Dude has an axe to grind that is for sure. The part about "CHP getting what it paid for" was pretty cute.

Someone should foreward that tripe to UC and see what they have to say about it. Generally well regarded research institutions takes any challenge to their integrity pretty seriously.
This guy seems like a grade A douche for sure. We all know people who receive a lot of joy from pointing out inconsistencies or inaccuracies no matter how infinitesimal and insist on the world being set right.
My old man used to tell me about people like this when he was the Division Chief of the Fire Department and didn't enjoy it much. "I pay your salary / your a public servant" blah blah blah - He did, however enjoy making sure these peoples' properties were up to code....
Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #57
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
You are safer now without guidelines for other motorists to know what they can expect when encountering lane splitting? You're better off not knowing what constitutes safe lane splitting so you can avoid being pulled over and ticketed for reckless driving based on an individual officer's opinion?
I don't see how that can be.
Yes, I'm safer without some nimrod belligerent cager or over-wound LEO thinking that those guidelines carried legal weight, when they see me riding differently than they interpreted the guidelines to suggest.

As an experienced motorcyclist with over a decade of lane-splitting experience on Bay Area roads... I don't need a set of CHP guidelines to tell me what was safe and what was unsafe practice. And I would hope that no rider looks to those guidelines as gospel, and assumes they're "safe" as long as they follow them... traffic is vicious out there, and utterly unforgiving. You and I should ride (and split) with our wits about us, responding to the situation unfolding in front of us.

You might be missing the point, that LEO can already pull us over for whatever they feel is unsafe riding. They know it when they see it, and it's a system that has worked well enough. They don't need a new set of guidelines to inform them.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #58
Rgconner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Again, I wonder how he will feel about being "right" now that people that don't agree with him have his office address, gmail account, phone number...

he cannot hide behind the anonymity of this board for his actions.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #59
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Hey here's Ken Mandler's Yelp page if you want to write a review of his classes

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ken-mandler-sacramento
Quote: