Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #106
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,701
I'd be OK if there were limits on it. Like splitting is only OK if traffic is moving 35mph or less, no splitting at more than a 15mph differential from car/truck traffic, etc.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #107
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I'd be OK if there were limits on it. Like splitting is only OK if traffic is moving 35mph or less, no splitting at more than a 15mph differential from car/truck traffic, etc.
I think most sane people would agree with you. If anything else, it's just a waste of fuel. If another vehicle doesnt need to be sitting there, idling for no reason why should it be?
Plus it will encourage some people to get on a bike!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #108
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I think most sane people would agree with you. If anything else, it's just a waste of fuel. If another vehicle doesnt need to be sitting there, idling for no reason why should it be?
Plus it will encourage some people to get on a bike!

Reduces congestion, then does so even more as more people get on bikes to get through traffic.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #109
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
The CHP's guidelines (not underground legislation) gave motorcyclists and cagers alike some common sense information.
These guidelines (not underground legislation) also allowed ABATE of CA to fight anti-lane sharing legislation. Anti-lane sharing legislation has been proposed since the guidelines (not underground legislation) were posted, but ABATE was able to say "Hey, here's the CHP's stance on lane sharing, why do we need this?" The proposed anti-lane sharing legislation has died before even getting to the transportation committee.
What concerns me is that some legislator that doesn't care for motorcyclists may see this as an opportunity to introduce legislation to make lane sharing illegal.
agree...the guidelines were reasonable, made sense AND were definitely needed as a fair number of riders split at very high speeds, at too high a speed differential, etc...have been on my own bike at 65mph and more than once have had another bike pass waaay too close and fast in my lane. The guidelines might have helped head off a possible future total ban on lane splitting in Calif. and clarified what reasonable splitting is for riders and drivers.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #110
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
How do you enforce it?
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #111
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
How do you enforce it?
its pretty tricky to enforce from what I've seen but that's not to say that it hasnt been in the past. Most of the time bikes move through traffic quickly enough through traffic to require a helo and I dont think many agencies will justify that for a bike or two
Quote:
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #112
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
its pretty tricky to enforce from what I've seen but that's not to say that it hasnt been in the past. Most of the time bikes move through traffic quickly enough through traffic to require a helo and I dont think many agencies will justify that for a bike or two

This ^ I commute 84 miles daily in California. From the city to the mountains and back to the city. I find guys "splitting" at the normal CA speeds of 85 on any highway everyday. I'm guilty of it too.

I've slit lanes past cops even when traffic is a solid rolling block going 50mph. Even if they wanted to do something... Without air support it ain't gonna happen. CHP doesn't give two shits if you aren't a squid douchebag, or fake 1% er. Guys that are wearing gear and look like commuters seem to get a pass most of the time....or I'm really damn lucky.hah

Honestly. I think it should be legal at all reasonable speeds. Just like any other country. Or in a legal grey area like now. Making it just "outlaw" enough to scare off the idiots who have no business splitting. Which thankfully, I rarely see.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #113
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTPASS View Post
This ^ I commute 84 miles daily in California. From the city to the mountains and back to the city. I find guys "splitting" at the normal CA speeds of 85 on any highway everyday. I'm guilty of it too.

I've slit lanes past cops even when traffic is a solid rolling block going 50mph. Even if they wanted to do something... Without air support it ain't gonna happen. CHP doesn't give two shits if you aren't a squid douchebag, or fake 1% er. Guys that are wearing gear and look like commuters seem to get a pass most of the time....or I'm really damn lucky.
ya it would seem that unless you're REALLY doing something stupid, they just let you by. Especially in or around a city, there are just so many bikes around, Im sure it just becomes old hat.
I pretty regularly split behind cops - they have always been cool about the entire situation. It's just normal operating procedure.
Quote:
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #114
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
How do you enforce it?
Real easy, of it doesn't pass the LEO's sniff test, he writes you up for unsafe lane change, on up to reckless driving. You want to fight it, the judge listens to you, listens to the cop, finds you guilty. Pay the clerk.

edit: Add: Like others have noted, it's gotta be pretty egregious, otherwise they don't bother.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #115
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
I pretty regularly split behind cops - they have always been cool about the entire situation. It's just normal operating procedure.
First time I did this, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #116
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
First time I did this, it was like the parting of the Red Sea.

then there is always the soccer mom on the phone in her Suburban, giving zero fucks. I LOVE when they light them up with the siren to get past. That panic moment from a driver not paying attention in the slightest gives me a warm fuzzy feeling
Quote:
Old 07-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #117
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Just read in the news that all the lane splitting info will be removed from all the DMV literature for 2015.
We're already losing the battle.
It's amazing how much damage one person can do - lord knows how hard it was to get those guidelines in there
Quote:
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #118
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Just read in the news that all the lane splitting info will be removed from all the DMV literature for 2015.
It's amazing how much damage one person can do - lord knows how hard it was to get those guidelines in there
Hopefully the petition circulating through B.A.R.F. will gain enough traction to make a difference...
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #119
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
FWIW, we had been doing quite well for decades without the guidelines or books. Removing the information there won't eliminate our ability to split lanes. Bicyclists can also split lanes and would be affected by any adverse legislation as well.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #120
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
FWIW, we had been doing quite well for decades without the guidelines or books. Removing the information there won't eliminate our ability to split lanes. Bicyclists can also split lanes and would be affected by any adverse legislation as well.
No, removing the guidelines will not hurt you. However when the twit that threw a fit about them existing to begin with starts lobbying to have laws written to outlaw it, then it will hurt. You were better off when there were written guidelines to point to
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote