User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Msf brc rcp omg wtf lol

... is my cryptic way of announcing that I'm currently taking part in "Learning How To Teach People To Ride Motorcycles" class, a.k.a. "Ride Around In Circles In A Hot Parking Lot Until You Barf, And Then Share Your Feelings About It" class.

Day 2 (of 9) wrapped up earlier this evening, and I have to say I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm *almost* at a point where I feel comfortable just reading what's on the cards and not trying to embellish or editorialize or even paraphrase. Which I suppose is a way of explaining to you n00bs out there why RiderCoaches just read from those range card thingies... because piling on a whole bunch of extra info -- however fascinating and/or technically sound -- would interfere with learning.

In the immortal words of Johnny Carson: I did not know that.

So far we've just been coaching each other. There are only 5 in the class, 2 of whom are current or former police motor officers, so there hasn't been much to correct. But that may change tomorrow as we start messing up on purpose.

Further updates as events warrant.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I became a MSF instructor back in '03 or '04, it was a great class, even with the rain, high winds and hail we trained through. I miss doing it but after a few years of teaching, I just didn't have time to keep doing it anymore. Enjoy the experience, I think it's quite rewarding teaching new riders this great thing we all enjoy!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
TracerNH
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Keep the updates coming! My first class starts in just under two weeks.

Chris
TracerNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 153
Hang in there, vaara! it may get intense. You'll not only learn the "what", but the "why" also.

EDIT~ RTFC!

Norty01 screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 07:30 PM Reason: lol!
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,847
Best of luck to both of you

My RCP was 2010
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Enjoy it. I got certified in 1992 and became a Trainer in '03. Love it.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not a whole lot to report from day 3, except that it is (as indicated above) getting more intense. There was confusion caused by the fact that it's a non-standard range, so even though I'm finally starting to get the message (RTFCYFF!), there are obviously times when the cards can NOT be treated as holy gospel.

In general, some nits that went largely unpicked yesterday were quite thoroughly picked today. RiderCoach positioning, demo narration, things like that. We rode badly for each other (on purpose), so that was fun. I do wonder how a RC could spot, say, a failure to up- or downshift from across the range while viewing the rider's right side, but I suppose that comes with experience.

Next week we get "guinea pigs."

Random notes: SPF 70 sunscreen does little good when it gets scraped off your face during repeated helmet puttings-on and takings-off.

Camelbaks are a RiderCoach's friend. That fact didn't occur to me til I was 45 miles away from mine. Fortunately it was a relatively temperate 85 or so where we were; weekend we might not be so lucky.

vaara screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 07:04 PM
Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 AM   #8
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 638
I tried to be a coach once......even with lots of water and a cooling vest the heat during the training caused me to get a bad case of sun stroke which put me down for a week and washed me out of the class.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:10 AM   #9
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 640
Good that you are doing something for motorcycling, keep it up. I've been an instructor since 93 and still enjoy getting others started in motorcycling.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Yep, a camelbak is a lifesaver! I even freeze some water in mine so I have a block of ice that slowly melts as the hours tick by. Plus it's nice having that cool feeling against my back. Hubby also takes a small cooler of ice and a bandana or head over. Put ice in it on breaks and let it sit around your neck.

FOOD... LOTS OF FOOD!

Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every break for sure. Sweat and on/off of helmet/gloves does not help.

I don't wear one but lots of RCs wear big floppy hats. I just wear a standard baseball style cap.

I use dirt bike gloves instead of my street gloves.

Lots of coaches also buy cheap 3/4 helmets for class. Helps when it's cold out.

As for the shifting, you'll get used to the sound difference between 1st and second as you are out there more and more often.

You'll have the same issue on the opposite side regarding both brakes. Not all of our bikes have working brake lights.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, SxyRdr, and everyone else, for your encouraging words!

I'm all set for gloves - my summer mesh ones are working fine. But I need to figure out upper-body clothing; I have a long-sleeved lightweight "travel shirt" (for lack of a better term) that works great, but I can't wear it in the hot sun 2 days in a row. I suppose there's always the hotel sink. Yes, I stayed in a hotel even though I only live an hour away. Don't judge.

Speaking of heat, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Skyshadow -- that really sucks. Have you thought about trying again?

Good point about the 3/4 helmet, esp. since the range where I'll be teaching is in an area that's often foggy. Only problem is that those helmets make me look like a dork.

I'm going to be doing some serious prep work this week, in preparation for next weekend's first experience with 'real' students on the range. Obviously I'll just be focusing on the range exercises, but in general, am I correct in thinking that 95% (at least) of my studying should focus on the range, not the classroom?

One other thing I've discovered, besides the fact that ADVRider converts all-caps to lowercase in thread titles: Post-It notes do not adhere well to range cards. They seemed like a good idea at the time... until they started fluttering all over the range.

And finally, we'll be doing our written and riding evaluations next weekend too. I'm not particularly worried about either.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,847
We use long sleeved fishing type shirts from bass pro or columbia brands.
Vented in the back and lightweight. We have a ice chest on the range and everyone is free to help themselves to chilled bottled water as needed . Usually I have some while rezding the cards or kickin the cones.
Lots of unscented sunscreen...bees like some sweet smelling stuff,, I don't like bees.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #13
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
i don't do the camel back thing. what i like to do is take one of my water jugs and fill it 3/4 full and put it in the freezer. it usually lasts about 3 hours....more if you wrap it in a towel.
i also keep a couple of granola bars in my range card pouch and cough drops. they help when you are talking, at least for me when i talk loudly my throat gets scratchy.
i've been coaching since 2000. if you get up to santa rosa say hi!
Old 07-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 638
You can get those electrolite tablets that are sugar free and are made for the camelback. They work good.

If you ever have sunstroke.....it's not fun. While I would like to do it again, after making it 90% of the way though and having that hit. The idea scares the hell out of me. That whole touch the hot stove thing.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
Good point about the 3/4 helmet, esp. since the range where I'll be teaching is in an area that's often foggy. Only problem is that those helmets make me look like a dork.
Are you sure it's the helmet?

Seriously though, thanks for doing this. I've thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger. Definitely need more riders and riders who know what the hell they're doing.