Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
hefy_jefy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Beginning of the end for CA bikers?

http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...om-chp-website
I did not know about these guidelines until now, they seem very sensible, with the exception that you need to keep an eye in the mirror for the kids...
Sign the AMA petition if you think it might help.
hefy_jefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,356
The way I read that, the guidelines are being treated like sex education. Better not to promote it, or even to discuss how to do it safely. Don't think that means it's going to become illegal.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it. Had read those guidelines before, while searching for laws regarding lane-splitting. Can see how guidelines could be interpreted as some kind of rules to follow, but there are no laws regarding lane-splitting. Would not surprise me at all if CA outlaws lane-splitting, but doubt it'll have anything to do with this. Someone just got upset because they thought law enforcement officers were endorsing it by publishing those guidelines. There's something about it in the CA DMV handbook too. Wonder if they'll remove it.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,469
What a thread title! You sir are an asshat.
Nothing was remove, it was just move and made harder to find because a fellow asshat got his panties in a wad. Mkay?

The sky is not falling. We can even buy CHP helmets w/o the logo. Sheesh, get a grip.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Yes, very lame thread title. Lane splitting might actually be embraced by this point if not for the buttplugs that abuse the privilage.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
The way I understand it lane splitting became legal in California because of the Olympics in 1984. It was nearly impossible to make it around the city with the increased traffic, couriers rode bikes and were able to split lanes to keep the commerce rolling... may not be true. Something I was told.
mach1mustang351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1mustang351 View Post
The way I understand it lane splitting became legal in California because of the Olympics in 1984. It was nearly impossible to make it around the city with the increased traffic, couriers rode bikes and were able to split lanes to keep the commerce rolling... may not be true. Something I was told.
At age 8 in 1955, standing between my Dad's legs holding onto the Pontiac's streering wheel I can recall motorcycles passing between cars.

Lane sharing, splitting traffic or filtering has never been ill-eagle in California.

http://www.menifee247.com/2007/06/wh...s-legal-in.htm

"Lane splitting" is what someone does when he or she rides their motorcycle in between slow-moving cars on a freeway. The article says that this practice goes way back to the days when all motorcycles had air-cooled engines, and needed to keep moving to prevent overheating.

I suppose there's some truth to that, though today, many air-cooled motorcycles don't overheat when stopped on freeways.

The reason why California remains as the only state in the union to allow lane-splitting is because of safety.

Several years ago, lawmakers in Sacramento drafted a bill to make lane-splitting illegal, thinking it would save more lives. However, the California Highway Patrol lobbied against the bill, on grounds that it cause more bikers to die.

That is, if motorcyclists were forced to wait behind slow moving or stopped vehicles, they run the risk of getting rear-ended by other vehicles. This happens all too often on freeways, where drivers fail to pay attention to stopped traffic up ahead. Rear ending a motorcycle is almost always fatal for the biker.

That's why the CHP wants bikers to split lanes, to protect them from drivers not paying attention.

The CHP used accident fatality data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to show that a frequent cause of deaths in motorcycle accidents in other states are car drivers rear-ending motorcycles.

That's why the California State Legislature changed its mind and allowed lane-splitting to remain legal.

I put about 30,000 miles each year on my two motorcycles. I've witnessed many "rear-end" accidents between two cars on the freeway. When a car gets rear-ended, the driver usually survives. But when it happens to a motorcycle, the biker almost always dies. If lane-splitting were legal in all 50 states, a lot more people would be alive today.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYszt...e_gdata_player

Jim Bronson splitting lanes in the opening sequence for the series "Then Came Bronson ".
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Yes, very lame thread title. Lane splitting might actually be embraced by this point if not for the buttplugs that abuse the privilage.
Lame is putting it very mildly,makes less then no sense as a title.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,093
205. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995843
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it. Had read those guidelines before, while searching for laws regarding lane-splitting. Can see how guidelines could be interpreted as some kind of rules to follow, but there are no laws regarding lane-splitting. Would not surprise me at all if CA outlaws lane-splitting, but doubt it'll have anything to do with this. Someone just got upset because they thought law enforcement officers were endorsing it by publishing those guidelines. There's something about it in the CA DMV handbook too. Wonder if they'll remove it.
I honestly can't understand why lane splitting is illegal in much of the USA, when it is legal and normal in most of the rest of the world… It certainly is in all the 15 or more European, Asian and Oceanic countries I have ridden in.

It is encouraged in some, with a box at the front of the lane at traffic lights, that motorcycles can filter up to.

Perhaps it is because those big fat All American style motorcycles take up almost half as much space as a small car. The smaller, narrower machines that I am more familiar with, make much more efficient use of road space, and parking space.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #12
aalexander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Honestly can't believe that splitting lanes is legal in CA, of all places. But it's only legal because there is not a law that specifically prohibits it.
That's the only reason anything is legal. Because there's no law against it. In a free society, you are free to do anything, unless there is a law against it. You don't need a law to give permission to do something, unless it would be otherwise prohibited by another law.
aalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 AM   #13
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalexander View Post
That's the only reason anything is legal. Because there's no law against it. In a free society, you are free to do anything, unless there is a law against it. You don't need a law to give permission to do something, unless it would be otherwise prohibited by another law.
How free are we?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,520
The CHP will not let it be made illegal. If it is illegal, than they can't do it. And in the LA basin, they need to be able to split lanes to respond to accidents and other emergency calls where a car cannot make it.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
The CHP will not let it be made illegal. If it is illegal, than they can't do it. And in the LA basin, they need to be able to split lanes to respond to accidents and other emergency calls where a car cannot make it.
LEO/1st responders can't do that in other states?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote