Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #16
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,926
A education systems that does teach how to spell four letter words???

Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I just came back from a trip to LA that included flogging the hell out of a rental cbr250r on the Angeles Crest Highway. You're going to have to a hell of a long way to find anything that compares for any length of time.
texag10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
States you would want to live in?
Some much more than TX. Living in one now and moving to another in a couple months. Aside from CA and maybe LA and MS, the rest I would choose over TX.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #19
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Lots of good riding southwest of FtWorth toward glenrose area. The Texas ADV Rally is at Lake Whitney about 1.5 hours south of DFW area. It would give you a chance to meet over 100 ADV riders, sample the riding, and enjoy Texas hospitality. It is last weekend of October.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
Perry530 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
First off sorry for taking so long to reply, been busy.
Code:
It's going to depend a lot on what type of bike you are riding.
Right now I have a G650GS sertao but when I get a good job plan on getting rid of that and get a F800GS.
Code:
States you would want to live in?
I was also looking into Colorado. Mostly a state that has nice forests, mountains with a decent riding year. Oh a good job market for a welder helps too.
Code:
A education systems that does teach how to spell four letter words???
I'm from California, I have problems spelling two letter words
Perry530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #21
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Obviously some of these past posters have no real knowledge of Texas. If they do not like it here- head back to the place you left , Texas is becoming way too crowded for this Proud Texan. If you have to explain it to outsiders, see ya later.....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 PM   #22
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Obviously some of these past posters have no real knowledge of Texas. If they do not like it here- head back to the place you left , Texas is becoming way too crowded for this Proud Texan. If you have to explain it to outsiders, see ya later.....
I agree, nobody retires and moves north......and if you don't want to came to Texas, stop and turn around at the Red River and just go away.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #23
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I agree, nobody retires and moves north......
Well duh, of course they don't they move south..... To FL.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I agree, nobody retires and moves north......and if you don't want to came to Texas, stop and turn around at the Red River and just go away.
Oh yes they do because I just did. After 26 years in Texas that was enough.
You can keep that lame ass Rick Perry and all those illegals right there in Texas.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Austin

Austin is the answer to what does TX have? But, they also have way to many people! Traffic Jams, and road rage, high cost of living, all this equals low quality of life. All waters seem polluted from to many people. I use to love Austin. Last time I went, felt like that's it. Won't be back.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #26
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,893
Born & bred Texan here:

Whole damn world has too many people, not just Texas.

We can all do just fine telling each other to leave if they don't like it. Just not Mexicans or Muslims. They are special, our government says so.

As bikers of any kind, we should be sticking together & inviting each other to good places to ride.

I live in N/W AR right now. So what? It does not have some of the riding I like to do. So what?

If it is just about the ride, why do so many want to do it in groups?

Not many of us get to chose where we live on just what the riding is like. If we all could and all liked the same thing, there would not be room to ride.

We are our own worst enemy so why make it worse.

Oh, and if you have a button kicker, 12 volts and it was made after 1980, you are a poser & a whimp.....

I still ride a hard tail, kick only Chopper & my dirt bike is a 1977 Yam enduro. I will be 71 in a few weeks.

Now get off my lawn you cry babies...........
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by advmgm View Post
Oh yes they do because I just did. After 26 years in Texas that was enough.
You can keep that lame ass Rick Perry and all those illegals right there in Texas.
Heh, one of my best buds has lived in TX all his life (he's in his 50's). He's moving to AR next year because he hates it there so much.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #28
Perry530 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I was afraid this might happen, I did not intend this to become a bash on Texas or other people. ADVrider.com is a place to share knowledge, experience and gather people to enjoy what we do. If you want to bash anyone please do that in a general forum or somewhere else but if you have any insight on good riding areas please share.
Perry530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry530 View Post
I was afraid this might happen, I did not intend this to become a bash on Texas or other people. ADVrider.com is a place to share knowledge, experience and gather people to enjoy what we do. If you want to bash anyone please do that in a general forum or somewhere else but if you have any insight on good riding areas please share.
You asked what the riding is like in the Ft, Worth area. Having lived in that area for 20+ years I can assure you I know WTF I'm talking about. It pretty much sucks. Especially compared to the mountains of CA. That's not bashing, but simply stating the truth. If you don't want to hear the truth then there's really not much that can be done about that. So what it boils down to is you can either do a 12+ hour trip just to get to Big Bend, or 4.5 hours to get to the hill country, neither of which are gonna come anywhere near the quality of the stuff in CA. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Like someone else said, TX is BIG.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #30
TheRoss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry530 View Post
YEAR ROUND RIDING, which Colorado does not offer. I have not had a car since 2005. If that appeals to you, Texas is a good place to go.

And the Texas hill country offers nice riding, especially in winter when the sport bike and cruiser crowds have put their bikes away for the season. Austin is the cool city, as said above, but the traffic and crowds can suck. The west has Big Bend, but it is fucking HOT half the year there and depending on where you go there may not be any water. I live up in the panhandle... not bad, but very few interesting or curvy roads. I originally moved here from San Antonio because I needed an in-state university as close to the mountains as possible. I have stayed because the cost of living is very low and I chose to be a teacher. Riding here sucks but in half a day I can be in New Mexico or Colorado mountains. I'm riding to Denver tomorrow night after work as it turns out. DFW might offer some riding, I'm not sure. But if all DFW has is big city traffic, again as said above, NW Arkansas is not far away, and the riding there is great. The Valley (south of San Antonio)... probably should stay away from there (but I don't mean to bash an area of Texas here), it is close to old Mexico. Texas has almost no public lands to off road ride... it's all fenced private land.

I hope this is helpful and not bashful.
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote