User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #31
sskelton
Bemis

Oddometer: 7
jobs

Texas has jobs. East Texas has more dirt and county roads than one can imagine. Friendly people. We have those too.
sskelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #32
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Dude Is Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
YEAR ROUND RIDING, which Colorado does not offer. I have not had a car since 2005. If that appeals to you, Texas is a good place to go.

And the Texas hill country offers nice riding, especially in winter when the sport bike and cruiser crowds have put their bikes away for the season. Austin is the cool city, as said above, but the traffic and crowds can suck. The west has Big Bend, but it is fucking HOT half the year there and depending on where you go there may not be any water. I live up in the panhandle... not bad, but very few interesting or curvy roads. I originally moved here from San Antonio because I needed an in-state university as close to the mountains as possible. I have stayed because the cost of living is very low and I chose to be a teacher. Riding here sucks but in half a day I can be in New Mexico or Colorado mountains. I'm riding to Denver tomorrow night after work as it turns out. DFW might offer some riding, I'm not sure. But if all DFW has is big city traffic, again as said above, NW Arkansas is not far away, and the riding there is great. The Valley (south of San Antonio)... probably should stay away from there (but I don't mean to bash an area of Texas here), it is close to old Mexico. Texas has almost no public lands to off road ride... it's all fenced private land.

I hope this is helpful and not bashful.
He is right! You can ride most of the year, I wish Missouri had that for it! Didn't mean any bashing to the TXns.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #33
Meriden
Yea whatever

Oddometer: 656
Mid level skills like welding are sorely needed in Texas. I'm not sure about the Fort Worth market, but a welder has all the work he wants in the shipyards and refineries of Houston or in the Eagle Ford shale. Pockets of the state are have high costs of living, but for the most part the cost of living is lower than most places.

Year long riding? Well, that depends. There are a lot of people who can't take the heat (or the culture.) When planning logistics I gave DFW three "ice days" a year where my fleet wouldn't make deliveries. The upper gulf coast get's three years per ice day. White stuff is common in Amarillo and unheard of in Brownsville. The coast has more moderate weather than Cowtown, but the humidity can get you.

Texas is diverse. The ranches of the west are far different than the life behind the Pine Curtain. Think Big Country vs Gone With the Wind. Fort Bend county is one of the most diverse in the country with a population from all over the world. Of course there are a lot of Hispanics and a large number of illegals. Despite what people say, they are mostly a hard working group and often as not as respectable as the people who gripe about them. Like cedar trees they are a part of the landscape so brush up on your Spanish.

Riding has it's ups and downs. Because of the good economy and low cost of living you may have a wider range of bikes you can buy. There is plenty of curvy roads along the Edwards plateau and as mentioned 335, 336 and 337 are as good as the Dragon, Devil's or Mulholland highway. Distances are VAST so be prepared for some riding just to get there. Just don't expect those great vistas so common in the Southwest.

Off road and DS are at times difficult and poor quality. Texas has no public lands to speak of so most DS riding is limited to poorly maintained county roads of which there are many. Lots of fence line riding: straight, 90 degree turn, straight, 90 degree turn. Big Bend has some DS riding, but it is nothing compared to the Mojave in terms of quality or quantity. There are some private tracks, riding ranches and mud holes that you can visit and a handful of public riding areas like Barnwell Mountain or Sam Houston National Forest. There is very, very little that a skilled rider on a BMW single can't do.

Anyway, come on down. Everybody is welcome. An able bodied guy willing to get some calluses should be able to take care of himself. Most folks are more moderate and practical than they let on (or realize.)

All those people whining about being underpaid today were simply overpaid yesterday.
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote