Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #16
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
I have passed groups of Harley's on my TU250, in a no passing zone, but with sightlines and room to do so.
I am not going to be stuck behind a really slow group of bikes if I can help it.

I am not sure I would do it with the REAL biker gang types.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
Riteris OP
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
You broke the law and the "leader" called you out in person.

They broke the law and you take to the internet to bitch about it.

And your point is what?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
And your point is what?
Tattoos. Habitual law breakers need them.
Vanishing Point is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #19
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
This is a made up story.....no group of 30 cruiser riding want-a-be's has EVER passed another rider who was going over the speed limit already......

(unless they were trying to reach the bar before it closed..)
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #20
leftfield6
Dog is CoPilot

Oddometer: 70
Not perfectly a fit for this thread, but I feel like passing on stories this AM. Here was when I first decided to buy a motorcycle.

It was 1985. I was a typical college student. Went with a bunch of buddies to Daytona Beach during Spring Break that year, and we discovered after arriving there that my college's spring break coincided with Bike Week in Daytona. My buddies and I had signed up for one of the cheap rooms that faced the street, not the oceanfront. We were on about the 3rd floor.

Needless to say, we were constantly serenaded with bike after bike, most doing the potato-potato boogie in our ears. This did nothing to encourage me to buy a bike, it actually irritated the fuck out of us. Until...............

One night around 9 PM or so, we were sitting on the balcony drinking bad beer, and watching the parade below us. Mostly Harleys, a few sportbikes, a few bikes I had no idea about, but mostly we were watching for babes in bikinis. There was a stoplight at the corner right below us, and at a red light, a row of pirates lined up. Actually two rows, being as there were two lanes. Probabaly 8-10 bikes. All potato-potatoing along. Then another bike split right between them and filtered all the way to the front. He came to stop right between the two front bikes.

Wow. what a sight. I had no idea at the time, but I looked it up later, and it was Honda Interceptor, I suspect it was the 1000cc version. The rider was wearing red, white, and blue racing leathers. Full face helmet.

So he flips the visor up, looks at the pirate on the right, says something, looks at the pirate on the left, and I'm assuming says the same thing. Meanwhile lots of angry harrumphing (revving) going on behind them.

So. Visor down. Lights changes, and it's on. The Interceptor is gone. Just screams and is gone. Meanwhile the pirates are doing their best, but it's more noise than motion. They are hardly across the intersection, and the Honda is almost out of sight. One pirate killed his bike, and is trying to restart it.

It was fucking hilarious. We were high fiving each other, spilling beer everywhere. It was fucking awesome. Right then, I knew. That summer, I bought my first bike, a used 1984 Honda VT500, I've never once been on a cruiser in my entire life. Not saying I never will, but haven't given in so far.

Okay, back to your thread, just felt like sharing.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #21
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Not perfectly a fit for this thread, but I feel like passing on stories this AM.
It was 1985.

It was fucking hilarious. We were high fiving each other, spilling beer everywhere. It was fucking awesome. Right then, I knew. That summer, I bought my first bike, a used 1984 Honda VT500,
Really disappointing. I thought there would be tits.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #22
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,267
A spring break story without boobs is a FAIL!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #23
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
A spring break story without boobs is a FAIL!
I was thinking the same thing about high-fiving each other over someone else's behaviour. To be fair, I'm not a citizen of the US, I'm English, so maybe it's a cultural difference?
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #24
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,591
Spring Break in Florida is a whole culture unto itself.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 AM   #25
st3ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'm sorry, you say you were doing 8-10 over in the twisties, twisties that you apprently had to take a super slab highway to get to and "enjoy", and that a group of 30 HD riders actually *passed* you, and then caught up with you after you passed them?

Next time do 15-20 over. Scheez, when you ride like a granny, you make us all look bad. And really, who doesn't cross double yellow lines when sight lines are good and there's no oncoming traffic, and a rider doing 8-10 over is in front of us? I do that maybe 20 times a week. Totally normal MC riding survival skills, because inevitably, you're going to have some idiot tailgating your 6. Best to move on swifty as possible, double yellows be damned.
st3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Not perfectly a fit for this thread, but I feel like passing on stories this AM. Here was when I first decided to buy a motorcycle.

It was 1985. I was a typical college student. Went with a bunch of buddies to Daytona Beach during Spring Break that year, and we discovered after arriving there that my college's spring break coincided with Bike Week in Daytona. My buddies and I had signed up for one of the cheap rooms that faced the street, not the oceanfront. We were on about the 3rd floor.

Needless to say, we were constantly serenaded with bike after bike, most doing the potato-potato boogie in our ears. This did nothing to encourage me to buy a bike, it actually irritated the fuck out of us. Until...............

One night around 9 PM or so, we were sitting on the balcony drinking bad beer, and watching the parade below us. Mostly Harleys, a few sportbikes, a few bikes I had no idea about, but mostly we were watching for babes in bikinis. There was a stoplight at the corner right below us, and at a red light, a row of pirates lined up. Actually two rows, being as there were two lanes. Probabaly 8-10 bikes. All potato-potatoing along. Then another bike split right between them and filtered all the way to the front. He came to stop right between the two front bikes.

Wow. what a sight. I had no idea at the time, but I looked it up later, and it was Honda Interceptor, I suspect it was the 1000cc version. The rider was wearing red, white, and blue racing leathers. Full face helmet.

So he flips the visor up, looks at the pirate on the right, says something, looks at the pirate on the left, and I'm assuming says the same thing. Meanwhile lots of angry harrumphing (revving) going on behind them.

So. Visor down. Lights changes, and it's on. The Interceptor is gone. Just screams and is gone. Meanwhile the pirates are doing their best, but it's more noise than motion. They are hardly across the intersection, and the Honda is almost out of sight. One pirate killed his bike, and is trying to restart it.

It was fucking hilarious. We were high fiving each other, spilling beer everywhere. It was fucking awesome. Right then, I knew. That summer, I bought my first bike, a used 1984 Honda VT500, I've never once been on a cruiser in my entire life. Not saying I never will, but haven't given in so far.

Best Story ever.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 827
I was riding home on the BRP a few months ago. Beautiful day spring day, road is clear. I rounded a corner and got stuck behind the invariable hog parade. 4 Harleys, radios blaring, wives on the back in tanktops, pointing and looking around, doing about 17-20 mph in 35.

It became immediately clear why they do not wear any helmets and /or protection in that particular bike culture - that being when you ride so F'n slow the likelihood of ever being injured from falling off is extremely remote.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #28
dazeedmonds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I was riding home on the BRP a few months ago. Beautiful day spring day, road is clear. I rounded a corner and got stuck behind the invariable hog parade. 4 Harleys, radios blaring, wives on the back in tanktops, pointing and looking around, doing about 17-20 mph in 35.

It became immediately clear why they do not wear any helmets and /or protection in that particular bike culture - that being when you ride so F'n slow the likelihood of ever being injured from falling off is extremely remote.

Pretty sure I was going faster than that in the driveway when I dropped my bike the other day. Can confirm safety gear not needed.

Lol.
dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #29
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3ryder View Post
I'm sorry, you say you were doing 8-10 over in the twisties, twisties that you apprently had to take a super slab highway to get to and "enjoy", and that a group of 30 HD riders actually *passed* you, and then caught up with you after you passed them?

Next time do 15-20 over. Scheez, when you ride like a granny, you make us all look bad. And really, who doesn't cross double yellow lines when sight lines are good and there's no oncoming traffic, and a rider doing 8-10 over is in front of us? I do that maybe 20 times a week. Totally normal MC riding survival skills, because inevitably, you're going to have some idiot tailgating your 6. Best to move on swifty as possible, double yellows be damned.
+1003.. if I pass a group that large, unless I stop to get fuel within 20 minutes of it. They're not catching me...

The OP should be ashamed of herself, and I wouldn't have posted this story..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Dentists, accountants, and fast food franchise owners. A surly lot indeed.
You forgot the lawyer/bikers, they're always looking for anyone not conforming to the law.

I have to say, in the context of that event, knowing my bike can easily pull off a quick pass (no passing zones are designed based on what normal vehicles can do/can't do), I'd probably have done the same thing.