Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #16
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 442
Handlebars seems to be a good point to draw the line. Another might be if the operator and passenger sit side-by-side rather than fore-and-aft.

I don't wave at anybody.

Except under 50cc scooters. Freaks them out when somebody on a bike acknowledges them and they usually go into a death wobble.
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #17
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Can Ams offend me as well, but for different reasons.

I've thought about this for years. When I first saw Can Ams for sale, I didn't think too badly of them. When I first saw one on the road when on my bike, my stomach knotted up (hard), and has every single time I have seen one since then. I generally pass them sort of hunched over from the stomach pain.

So, with a little more thought just now...

I'll draw the line at one wheel in the front - yes, even for Reliant Robins. I will wave at them if I ever see one.

Either you're Okay with the dangerous sides of motorcycling, or you aren't a motorcyclist. One wheel in the front, while I've never thought of it before, is where I will draw the 'wave' line from here on. It's that distinction between dangerous and safe that have always made motorcyclists a different group from the dawn of motorcycles through to the 2000's.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 09:09 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
DEDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
My wife totaled her Vulcan 2 summers ago. She got really lucky and was bruised from head to toe, but nothing broken and no internal injuries. A month later we got her a VStar 1300 tourer. She never felt comfortable on it. Add in some arthritis in her left knee, and she was worried about stopping and putting her left foot down, having her knee give out, and having the bike fall on her. She decided she needed a trike or had to give up riding.

We checked out the typical HD clone trikes. None of them worked for her, they were big bikes, like 1900cc Yamaha Stratoliner types, and she couldn't reach the floorboards.

In came the Can-Am. She had sat on them before and hated the riding position, but they were the "sport" models. We found a touring setup, and it's a completely different seating position. We bought it, and she's done about 3000 miles on it since June. Her passion for riding is back. She's happy, that makes me happy. It's got decent performance, it gets out into traffic as good as any cruiser does. The engine likes to rev. It handles great once you get used to it. She can keep up with me in the twisties much better than she ever could on her cruiser.

I think when the day comes that I can't hold up 2 wheels anymore, I'll get one as well. The geometry is much better than a front wheel trike, it's got a ton of features that top of the line touring bikes have- traction control, ABS, some pretty sophisticated anti tip technology, heated grips, electronic cruise control, electronic adjustable windshield, nice built in tunes, adjustable suspension.

DEDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,655
To me, the Can-Ams are just plain fugly and I have never yet seen someone riding one that didn't look like a knob. I have met and talked to several nice people riding them, but the second someone mounts one of those goofy snowmobiles-with-tires, they transform into a knob. Dunno why.

Still, I'd rather ride a Can-Am than that HD trike. At least the two-wheels-in-front trikes can corner OK.

That said, I'd much rather drive the Morgan or Slingshot than either the HD trike or the Can-Am.

As far as waving goes, though... I wave at the "normal" trikes and sidecar rigs like they were motorcycles. I will return a wave from someone on a Can-Am, but I gave up on waving to them since they usually don't even get it. The Can-Am things seem to be ridden in general by people who would not otherwise be "riders," while the trikes and sidecars are often ridden by people who either also ride a two-wheeler or who used to but no longer can for one reason or another.

I don't ever see anything like a Morgan or a Slingshot, though. I'd probably give a Morgan driver a thumbs up, 'cause those things are cool as all hell.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
I've wondered if Can Ams are the new Subaru for lesbians in south Florida.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Pictured: Knob and Knob-GF.

Not pictured: Smiles of Knob and Knob-GF.

I'm under 40, I'm in the best shape of my life, I hold up and ride two wheels just fine, and I happily swap between my Spyder and my bike (this summer a plaything Ninja EX250, pondering a Guzzi V7 next summer). Just different ways to get out in the open air and enjoy the ride.

The Spyder doesn't ride like a bike, but it doesn't "drive" like a car, either (cue the tired "just get a Miata" crowd; I've driven a Miata, love 'em, want one-- it's nothing like the Spyder). It's like an ATV, but not really like one, either-- three wheels on the street doesn't ride like a quad in the dirt. A reverse trike is simply unique.

... and I always wave.

P.S. That said, I don't consider the Slingshot, Morgan, T-Rex, X-Bow, etc. to be in the same category as a Spyder for the obvious reason that you *sit in* the former, and *sit atop* the latter. Motorcycle skills translate quite well to the Spyder, but a driver still isn't going to hop on a Spyder and be safe and good without at least a little training. Any car driver, however, can hop in a Morgan and have a blast.

P.P.S. I really really really really want that Slingshot.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #22
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,749
I rode a spyder around the parking lot at work the other day, couldn't find the front brake lever, I can't remember the last time I used my rear brake at parking lot speeds.

I didn't like it, felt very awkward to me, but I've been on 2 wheels for a long time now.

But I still wave at anything with handlebars.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #23
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Pictured: Knob and Knob-GF.

Not pictured: Smiles of Knob and Knob-GF.
I hope you took my comments in the lighthearted manner in which they were intended. My dad is looking at getting one of those soon because he's having trouble dealing with his Goldwing (and he'll of course be getting some teasing from me). They definitely look goofy to me, but I'm sure they're a blast to ride. Glad you and your GF are having fun on yours!
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I hope you took my comments in the lighthearted manner in which they were intended. My dad is looking at getting one of those soon because he's having trouble dealing with his Goldwing (and he'll of course be getting some teasing from me). They definitely look goofy to me, but I'm sure they're a blast to ride. Glad you and your GF are having fun on yours!
Of course!

Hey, they DO look goofy! I thought so when they first came out, for years the Spyder held ZERO appeal to me.

Then a few years later I got on a bit of a trike/hack kick, wanted to try one out. Signed up for a three-wheel course and they put me on a Spyder RT. Had a blast on it, and a month later I owned my RS.

There are things I definitely enjoy about the Spyder more than a bike. It's an easier vehicle to ride, obviously-- I don't have to worry about dropping it, I can ride over debris all day, I can brake *hard* in corners, etc. The thing is a great commuter in D.C. traffic (at least here in one of the 49 states that you can't lane split), particularly with the semi-auto transmission (a joy to operate, BTW).

But it still takes skill and focus to ride well in the twisties-- throttle and braking control, plenty of body English and hanging off, etc. Again, it's different than a bike, but in a very fun way.

One thing I do remind all two-wheel riders trying out a Spyder is that the odds are overwhelming that they'll *hate* it at first. The difference between counter-steering and direct-steering alone, not to mention being pushed to the outside rather than leaning into a turn, is a 180 degree different sensation than on two-wheels. It's an axiom among Spyder owners that it takes an experienced biker about 500+ miles just to get the feel of riding a Spyder the way it needs to be ridden, simply to break the two-wheel habits. Once it "clicks," though, most everybody raves about them, like a best-kept secret.

For me, I find it a nice mental challenge switching up between the Spyder and a bike. Thankfully, they ride so differently that it's easy to "switch" between muscle memories, at least for me.

Anyway, good luck to your dad on making a choice. The RT is quite competitive with the GW as a touring ride, particularly the 2014+ models with the new 1330 triple, nothing but raves about that engine, it's been a huge hit.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #25
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 451
The line

I'll jump in on this. I've got 40 honest years of riding all sorts of bikes. Yes I went through a Chopper thing, and a Dual sport, sport bike, sport tour, vintage, British, Italian, German, and American phase until I realized that I like bikes and all the extended family. I currently have two traditional 2 wheelers and a BMW sidecar rig. They are different rides for different days, the Can Am interests me as well as funky 1970s metal flake VW based trikes.

That all being said... The line is drawn at seat belts. The Morgan, Slingshot, and that whale of a trike with a steering wheel all have seat belts and that means it is a vehicle you sit in rather than on. That's just my opinion, it cost nothing and it's worth even less.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #26
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 380
Those can am things are in the same category as a quad IMHO.. But if it makes you happy who the hell cares.

I wave at anyone who waves at me. Unless I'm in town or traffic then I don't even glance your way.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 451
I originally wrote a sarcastic, smart ass response about .... Does it matter? No it does not.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."

vecchio Lupo screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 01:35 PM
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
To me the cage begins when you're encaged. Topless is hybrid enough to feel connected to the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post
Handlebars seems to be a good point to draw the line. Another might be if the operator and passenger sit side-by-side rather than fore-and-aft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I've wondered if Can Ams are the new Subaru ... snip.
I actually wish Can-Am would make an Adventure Spyder. Like the Spyder but with AWD, a little more ground clearance, a little more fender clearance, and a 13" wheel size so you could run studless snow tires. It would be a Spyder/snowmobile/Subaru Outback hybrid. Take it on the beach, up poorly maintained forest service roads, and slip on the snow suit and terrorize the neighborhood drifting corners in a blizzard. All perfectly legal and safe, well, except for the reckless behavior.

You gotta love the boundless nature of human imagination.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 03:22 PM
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,740
If it doesn't lean in the curves, I'm not interested. However, to each his own. I'll return anyone's wave, If I haven't already waved first.

What gets me is this. People start having trouble riding their big wing or Harley. They want to keep riding. Instead of getting something smaller, lighter and easier to handle, they tend to add a wheel......or two.

If it doesn't lean in the curves it will not feel like a motorcycle. I don't care if it has a handlebar.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
There's two wheels and then there's everything else. Who I wave to is another topic. I still wave to jeeps sometimes
+1

Motorcycle: A vehicle with 2 inline wheels that is powered by a motor. Lawakers don't read the dictionary apparently.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote