Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 23,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
I don't have a statistically valid sample, but no bike I've owned tended to be tail down when on the center stand. They all rested with he front wheel down and the rear wheel in the air.
It is the point of a centerstand
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,168
Older BMWs tip back on the back wheel, no Japanese bikes do, nor did my Guzzi.

Tyiing down forks will not blow seals. If it did bikes would blow them out all the time when the suspension gets pounded. There is extremey remote chance the fork springs might sack out 1/8" but not likely. Look at the impact a bike takes when landing from some serious air over a jump. If that doesn't blow the seals your transport won't either.

One company that builds and transports new bikes to dealers through out Ohio and surrounding states ties them down against the suspension, new bikes. No blown seals we ever saw at the dealership where I worked over about a decade.

If you don't want it tied down on the center stand tell them you will be responsible for the seals and to tie it down against the forks and shocks. It won't hurt anything - unless there is a nick or corrosion on your fork leg or shock shaft that might cut the seal and that would eventually happen anyway.

A bazillion bikes tied down in the backs of pickups and on trailers can prove the seal thing is pure BS. In 40+ years I've never seen a set blown out by tie down.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
A bike I purchased is being shipped to me through a UShip shipper.

I noticed on the photo he sent me that the bike was tied down and on the center stand.

I have always NOT used a center stand as I have been told by my vintage friends (pun intended) that this is a NO NO, as to frame damage.

Bikes should allow the suspension to do it's job when trailering.

Below is the response I got back from the shipper.

I assume he thinks he is more likely to get in trouble with customers over fork seals leaking than them noticing center stand frame tabs bent?

Can anyone point me to some Manufacturer guidelines about trailering recommending NOT using a center stand that I can provide for this company?

On the other hand, if I am completely wrong about this, please educate me.

Shipper response:

"Hi Timothy ,yes central stand is down but my best friend is owner of Harley Davidson dealership and 2 years ago I have conversation with him about this .he tell me to bike with metal(not aluminum) frame and kick stand is better to use this stand bcs constant pressure on fork can cose damage on them and metal frame and stand can't be damaged .i haul exactly 428 bikes in last 2 year and I never have any problem and I never damage any bike.If you prefer to I bring bike to its not on stand I will do this but pls be aware if fork stark to leak and have any damage I will not be responsible .I hear many opinion and I think to this is right how I strap but if you want to I strap him in your way I will do this for you.Thanks"

Side note: None of the Harley's I have ever owned had center stands...

Gets his advice from an owner of an HD dealership????? HD's don't have centrestands. Fucking idiot.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #19
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
When I would transport my dirt bike I would tie it down then kick the side stand out. Thought being if that strap on the right side broke the bike wouldn't fall all the way down right away... reality... it wouldn't really matter
mach1mustang351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #20
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
I don't have a statistically valid sample, but no bike I've owned tended to be tail down when on the center stand. They all rested with he front wheel down and the rear wheel in the air.
You are correct, I was thinking one thing and typing another.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 AM   #21
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
This is how it's done. The problem with trailering on the center stand is if the trailer goes over a lot of rough surfaces. All of that bouncing can play havoc on your bike.

http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #22
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
This is how it's done. The problem with trailering on the center stand is if the trailer goes over a lot of rough surfaces. All of that bouncing can play havoc on your bike.

http://www.grassrootsbmw.com/uploads/Tiedown2.pdf
Thank you bracky, this is the kind of material I am looking for.

If only we could find some from a manufacturer.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #23
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
A bike I purchased is being shipped to me through a UShip shipper.

snip
Google "uship shipper". UShip looks to be a business that connects people who want things shipped and people who can ship.

One link from Google:

http://uship.pissedconsumer.com/ushi...122291057.html

Read the fine print on the shipping contract. See if they can legally employ out-of-work Nigerian 419's to ship stuff. Seriously, see what UShip's responsibility is.

--Bill
Old 07-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #24
nk14zp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Have him flip it over that way the center stand and forks have no pressure on them. Just the seat and bars will.
nk14zp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #25
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Google "uship shipper". UShip looks to be a business that connects people who want things shipped and people who can ship.

One link from Google:

http://uship.pissedconsumer.com/ushi...122291057.html

Read the fine print on the shipping contract. See if they can legally employ out-of-work Nigerian 419's to ship stuff. Seriously, see what UShip's responsibility is.

--Bill
Actually, the shipper is quite nice and has a 5/5 star rating with several hundred reviews over the past few years.

I am quite aware what UShip does, myself and others I know have used them a number of times, I did not elaborate on that as it was distracting from the topic and might confuse people as to my questions.

UShip, the shipper and myself all have insurance to cover the shipment.

I had hoped this thread would flush out some technical information about trailering bikes.

While I can see some anecdotal posts that agree with my experience and some comforting posts that think a centerstand is "ok" so far we have only one post that brings in authoritative documentation, but it is from a dealer not a manufacturer.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #26
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,701
I definitely wouldn't transport a bike on its side stand, but it being on a center stand wouldn't bother me much. Of course, if I were a "professional" bike shipper, I'd definitely have a trailer with a wheel chock in it so I could just strap the bike down and let the bike's suspension absorb some of the bumps, too.

You're probably fine either way. Worst case scenario if he ties it down the way you want is blown fork seals (extremely unlikely IMO), and that's not all that much liability to assume.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I have always been told and transport my bikes with the stands up using the suspension to put tension on the straps. A buddy was helping me tie my bikes down in my trailer and started cranking the bike down with the side stand out....when I pointed it out he said that's how you do it....(one of the guys that knows everything or thinks he does) Since it was my beater KLR I figured I'd let him try.....needless to say before he about snapped the side stand off trying to cinch up the straps I stopped him and had it done right. I have transported several bikes long distance this way and never had an issue.

To the OP...if you're okay with his methods then let it go...
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
So the shipper has not shipped the bike yet?

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't want a bike of mine shipped on the sidestand or centerstand if it had one. I would not want every giant pot hole the guy accidentally runs over to deliver that energy straight into my bike frame. I admit the chances of catastrophic frame failure are probably low, but if he's giving you the option to put it on the suspension, well that's what I would request.

I would much rather take a chance to have to replace $30 worth of fork seals versus my bike receiving seen or unseen frame damage. Of course I have no documentation to back this up other than what would make me feel better at night.

- Also +1 to never having a fork seal blow from being strapped down. As long as you don't go too crazy strapping it down, it won't be an issue.
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #29
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 568
I'm surprised they still tie bikes down, with all the strapless stands for shipping that are available. Not to mention wheel chocks that will hold the bikes with minimal straps. Far easier to load and much more scecure.

Beside, who would listen to someone from a H-D dealership? Esp, about center stands.
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #30
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
The method I posted above on a telelever front equipped bike does not actually compress the shock. So no leaking seals to worry about.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote