Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #46
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Looks good!

Can't tell much from a low-res photo.

Assuming it looks as good in person as the photo and the other side is as good..

Manual?
Paperwork?
Tool kit?
Good 6v battery?
Original Battery holder?

I can see it is missing the optional chrome air pump.
It does have the original bakelite key (don't loose that!!)

The mileage is not bad, it has a title and runs, and even the break-in sticker.

I would have offered him $2400. He is right the price IS Fair. But I would always try to look for some wiggle room.
Barnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #47
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

I missed the fact it is a 1963.

the 1953-1963 are a bit more desirable because the production numbers were lower those years.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #48
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Incidentally, tying forks down will NOT blow seals. I've been tying bikes down for forty years and never have had that happen.
I have to disagree, conditionally. I've been tying bikes down since I started riding in '61 and have had it happen to me, but only once. The bike was my new '74 Yamaha RD350 with very few miles on it. I was loading the bike without any help and only had rope to tie it down with instead of ratchet straps. With the bike on the side stand, I tied off the left side of the handlebars with no pressure. Then with a loop on one end of a rope, I ran the other end over the right side of the handlebars, through the tie down point and back up through the loop. Pull down on the loose end of the rope and it compresses the forks and stands the bike up at the same time. Then a couple of half hitches and it's secure. I'd done it plenty of times before on other bikes with no problem. Only this time, I also got a squirt of oil out past the seal on the right fork leg. It had never shown any signs of leakage before, but it leaked from then on until I changed it.

I said conditionally, because I realize it's possible the seal was defective to start with, but the bike was practically brand new and had never leaked up to that point. So for what it's worth, that's my story. Did yanking those forks down to the bottom cause the leak? I don't know, but that's when it showed up.

davevv screwed with this post 07-30-2014 at 09:04 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 AM   #49
aalexander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
I still want the guy to show me a Harley on it's center stand.

Just one.
How 'bout video?
aalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 AM   #50
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
I wonder if the leaking seals is related to older bikes? We transported a friends Road King about 10 miles in a trailer (winter time) on a very rough roads. when we unloaded it we noticed one rear shock was leaking bad. Cause? who knows but since it was an older bike, maybe that had something to do with it. Combination of the age, shock compression and rough roads???
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #51
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

I can't see how trailering can be any harder on fork seals than riding.

In fact riding should be alot harder on the seals because the impact will be faster and more direct. ( non "phugoid" oscillations for the engineer types ;) )

I suspect that if the seals 'go' on trailering they would have gone soon during riding anyway.

I also strongly suspect that the sellers of many bikes CLEANED them for sale and the buyer did not know they were buying a bike with leaky seals until the trailer ride home.

Lastly, given the choice of a bent frame, bent frame tabs or damaged stand vers new fork seals, I will take new fork seals every time.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
Lastly, given the choice of a bent frame, bent frame tabs or damaged stand vers new fork seals, I will take new fork seals every time.

+1. Fork seals are easy and cheap to replace. I often replace them anyway on new-to-me bikes just so I know when it's been done.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #53
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstorm View Post
I can't see how trailering can be any harder on fork seals than riding.

In fact riding should be alot harder on the seals because the impact will be faster and more direct. ( non "phugoid" oscillations for the engineer types ;) )

I suspect that if the seals 'go' on trailering they would have gone soon during riding anyway.

I also strongly suspect that the sellers of many bikes CLEANED them for sale and the buyer did not know they were buying a bike with leaky seals until the trailer ride home.

I think that some seal problems come from cinching the forks down without cleaning off the hardened bug smash and shoving it through the seals.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #54
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
What the...? I used to have an Allstate, somebody rode it and broke the spokes in the front wheel so I sold it. I paid and sold it for a lot less than $2400. I should've hung on to it.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #55
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Not all those U-ship carriers are professionals.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #56
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 418
I can't believe there's any debate. Suspension is designed to handle a shock load. Center stands aren't. One method has oil/springs/air chamber/damping to respond to the loads of a sharp pothole. The other purely depends upon the strength of the frame. Now, the trailer itself has suspension so it's not like the stand is absorbing all that force but still that's not the right way to do it.

As for leaking seals, I suppose it's possible but every time I've done then zip-tie on a fork leg to measure travel used I've found that I'm using full travel under spirited riding, and a surprising amount taking it easy.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #57
Barnstorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
What the...? I used to have an Allstate, somebody rode it and broke the spokes in the front wheel so I sold it. I paid and sold it for a lot less than $2400. I should've hung on to it.

Chad
What year? What size?

There is a dramatic difference in price between the 50-66 bikes and the 67-69 bikes.

250cc's are considered the most desirable.

Also, condition and paperwork (title) is a HUGE factor in price for these machines.

Poor condition bikes are pretty common, but mint ones not so much.

I don't know how those spokes got broken but if I saw a bike with broken spokes I would assume a wreck and all kinds of frame issues, which just turned that bike into a "parts bike". $800 tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
Not all those U-ship carriers are professionals.
Please see post #38
Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #58
Mr. Magoo
n/a

[QUOTE=Barnstorm;2474954

Please see post #38[/QUOTE]

I've used U-Ship. It's luck of the draw, feedback or not.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #59
Mr. Magoo
n/a

[QUOTE=Barnstorm;2474954

Please see post #38[/QUOTE]

I've used U-Ship. It's luck of the draw, feedback or not. I use it for cheap bikes. I've used Allied for high dollar bikes with excellent results. Glad your bike arrived safely.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 AM   #60
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,613
A center stand is actually a 'service stand'

I tied a BMW R1100R down on the service stand and when I opened the enclosed trailer after the journey the stand had folded up and the bike was leaning on it's side on another bike and now had a dent in the fuel tank!

unrelated:

I cut the hooks off both ends of my tie downs and replace them with caribiners, no hooks jumping off now.

Almost every ferry I have been on tie the bike down on it's side stand...I find it pretty scary...but it seems like the way it's done.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote