ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #1
Barak OP
adventure photographer

Oddometer: 115
Registering a plated Colorado dirt bike in NM?

Hi,
I am exploring the option of buying a Colorado plated dirt bike like a WR450F or CRF450 and registering it in NM as a street legal bike. Does anyone have recent experience of, or has knowledge of any issues or problems with doing this?
Thanks,
Barak
Barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,535
Hi Barak,
In the past a vin inspection was all that was required for the bike. That inspection was just to see if all the vins on the bike matched.
Then if the title was not restricted you were good to go.

The last two years there has been some talk that the DMV was looking at the Vin number itself to see if it was the 16 digit number that is associated with factory spec street legal. These days I am hearing that DMV has backed off of that some.

So take the bike to the local MDV express and see what you get.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Barak OP
adventure photographer

Thanks for the info,
I sure would hate to get something though, only to find out I can't register it. I heard it sometimes depends on what clerk you get at the MVD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Hi Barak,
In the past a vin inspection was all that was required for the bike. That inspection was just to see if all the vins on the bike matched.

The last two years there has been some talk that the DMV was looking at the Vin number itself to see if it was the 16 digit number that is associated with factory spec street legal. These days I am hearing that DMV has backed off of that some.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,737
Hi Barak. I heard a story of someone having a street plated bike in NM, and when it came time to renew the registration, the DMV would only renew it as an OHV. Now I'm hearing talk about the MVD Express folks looking for Nader stickers. It's getting to be a craps shoot.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,176
Barak, PM sent regarding my experience with exactly the situation you're dealing with.......

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Barak OP
adventure photographer

Thumb Success!

Two thumbs up to High Desert Title on Lomas (Albuquerque) and to all of you who had useful, current info.
I just registered a Colorado titled 2008 WR450F in about 15 minutes, walked out with a plate in hand.
Had a bit of a snag yesterday at an MVD place on Montano where things came to a halt when we couldn't find the Nader sticker during the VIN inspection. The High Desert gal, only looked at the VIN on the frame.
Black Bear Pass here I come! (Saturday)
Thanks for the tips
Barak

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
Barak, PM sent regarding my experience with exactly the situation you're dealing with.......
Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

Oddometer: 61
Any updates on this issue?

Are there any updates on getting plates in NM?

I've seen a couple of leftover ktm 500ecw's out of state that I wouldn't mind picking up. I am a little hesitant about IF I could get plates. I don't think the 500ecw's are an ORO mso.
New Mexico Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Hi Barak,

That would be a 17 digit VIN
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Hair
Outside the boxer

Yes the problem is a 17 digit Vin.
After years of being extra careful in making sure that the bikes that I bought would be guaranteed a street plate. This past fall I bought a 2011 Husaberg 390 thinking that all 2011 Husabergs were from the factory street palatable.
Turns out that the 570s were and the 390s were not.

In short the 570s had a 16 digit vin number
The 390 have a 17 digit.

Only after I bought the bike did I realize this. But at the time of sale on the bike it had a street plate and was street plated in New Mexico.

I was able to get a street plate in NM but I have no idea how long that will last. The vin is out there for everyone to see. And it doesn't take much of a search to see all the OHVs with 17 digit VINs that have street plates.
But this is New Mexico and who knows when of if ever that data base search will happen.
And if it does happen how does home built fit into this mix. Could I register my OHV as a home built and get a 16 digit vin assigned to it.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

These are both 17 digit VINs.

VBKEXP405EM492365 500 EXC VIN
VBKEXP405EM491698 500 XC-W VIN

These are actual VINs I pulled off a dealer's website. Since the EXC is fully street legal from the factory but the XC-W is not, I guess the only thing different between the two is the Nader sticker assuming you've put signals, mirror and a horn on it? We won't get into emissions or DOT tires/rims since I doubt they would look there.

So, I presume that if you can get over the hurdle of the Nader sticker, even if they look at the bike, you would be in better shape. Of course, the State could look up your make/model but I think they would mostly go by VINs. In this case, the EXC and XC-W have matching VINs except for the serial number at the tail end.

I found a good deal on a 14 XC-W and I am thinking of picking it up.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
From the looks of those two vins I don't see how they could differienate between the EXC and the XCW. The nader sitcker is just a minor annoyance

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Hair
Outside the boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Boondocker View Post

These are actual VINs I pulled off a dealer's website. Since the EXC is fully street legal from the factory but the XC-W is not, I guess the only thing different between the two is the Nader sticker assuming you've put signals, mirror and a horn on it? We won't get into emissions or DOT tires/rims since I doubt they would look there.

So, I presume that if you can get over the hurdle of the Nader sticker, even if they look at the bike, you would be in better shape. Of course, the State could look up your make/model but I think they would mostly go by VINs. In this case, the EXC and XC-W have matching VINs except for the serial number at the tail end.

I found a good deal on a 14 XC-W and I am thinking of picking it up.

If you can pull the numbers off a 690 and a 990 or 1190.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
New Mexico Boondocker
Chasing snow

VBKLET405EM766220 2014 690 Enduro R
VBKV29402EM906759 2014 Adventure 1190
VBKEXP405EM492365 2014 500 EXC VIN
VBKEXP405EM491698 2014 500 XC-W VIN

Looking at the KTM website Service and Safety check, they say "enter your 17 digit VIN." I'd say it's a fair assumption that all new or fairly new KTMs have 17 digit VINs.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:

I don't see how those VIN's can both be for the same exact model since the only difference is the serial number of the production run. Seems at least one or two digits near the middle part of the VIN would be different to differentiate between the models.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:

Looking at the KTM website Service and Safety check, they say "enter your 17 digit VIN." I'd say it's a fair assumption that all new or fairly new KTMs have 17 digit VINs.
I've never seen a modern KTM that did not have a 17 digit VIN number...plated or off road.