ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
Mark R. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Alpine Loop Next Week - Very Excited

My son and I will be heading to Silverton next week for our first rides in the Alpine Loop. I have been hearing about these passes for a long time, and am really looking forward to our rides. Some beers and steaks in the evening, and I am sure life will feel pretty good.

Very excited to do this. So if you see me on my blue Super Tenere and my son on his white DRZ-400, give a wave!!

Mark R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,937
Have fun! Its a great loop. Lunch in Lake City is a nice add on. Hopefully the Jeep jamboree will be over when you get there.

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 11,159
Great loop, very scenic. The jeep jamboree is this weekend, so It'll be busy... Watch out in the blind corners...

SirWrecksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Mark R. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick View Post
Have fun! Its a great loop. Lunch in Lake City is a nice add on. Hopefully the Jeep jamboree will be over when you get there.
Will do. Yes, the Jeep event will be over just as we get there, so I am hoping for less clogged roads. Plus, we get up early, so we might beat some others out of town and up the hill in the morning.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
Mark R. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWrecksAlot View Post
Great loop, very scenic. The jeep jamboree is this weekend, so It'll be busy... Watch out in the blind corners...
Actually, we are going the weekend of the 9th and 10th, so hopefully there will be fewer Jeeps up there.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,893
Have a great time and post up some pics of youn your son on the passes.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,897
I get confused about use rules in the loop. ATVs can ride parts of it. But at the same time they have been known to check young riders for license. Go figure.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
gee
Safety First

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I get confused about use rules in the loop. ATVs can ride parts of it. But at the same time they have been known to check young riders for license. Go figure.
Yeah my son got written up in Animas Forks for not being 16, he was riding a dirt bike. Bunch of BS, I just won't stop next time I see a leo up there, most of them are rent-a-rangers from Texas anyways.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,937
There was a Co. LEO/Ranger on the passes this last week on a Razor with a radar gun and he was checking for stickers or plates and enforcing the speed limit on the dirt roads.
He gave me the stink eye on California Pass until he saw my NM plate. At the same time he was looking over a quad that didnt have the sticker affixed to the machine. Earlier in the week the same guy he hit two of our group with the radar gun coming off one of the passes and gave them a verbal speed warning.

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
There was a Co. LEO/Ranger on the passes this last week on a Razor with a radar gun and he was checking for stickers or plates and enforcing the speed limit on the dirt roads.
He gave me the stink eye on California Pass until he saw my NM plate. At the same time he was looking over a quad that didnt have the sticker affixed to the machine. Earlier in the week the same guy he hit two of our group with the radar gun coming off one of the passes and gave them a verbal speed warning.
I've only lived in Western Colorado for most of my life, so I should be forgiven for not knowing, but what is the speed limit on dirt passes? The ones I ride never have any signs, I don't think, but I haven't been down on those passes in awhile so... As slow as I am, I can't imagine I would break any speed limits anyway :)
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Mark R. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
They are really just armed tax collectors. (That have a monopoly on the right to initiate violence on anyone, but, hey, don't get me started.......)

( policestateusa.com )
Old 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,897
I had no idea that my comments would touch a nerve.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
He was federal. BLM. I took note of his badge. Once he saw we all had current tags he lightened up. The fact he gave the Daves a verbal warning is also encouraging.

What Rick doesn't mention is how he has a special way with LEOs. Smooth lines, I tell ya. This from his conversation with the Sheriff:

LEO: Sir, you're going to have to move your travel trailer.
Rick: Yeah? How much is the ticket if I leave it here?

selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
gee
Safety First

Oddometer: 836
I got pulled pulled over heading up Imogene a few years ago, I was going 28mph, Johnny Forest Enforcement Officer told me the speed limit was 20.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
GS Dave
Chicken Farmer

Oddometer: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
He was federal. BLM. I took note of his badge. Once he saw we all had current tags he lightened up. The fact he gave the Daves a verbal warning is also encouraging.

What Rick doesn't mention is how he has a special way with LEOs. Smooth lines, I tell ya. This from his conversation with the Sheriff:

LEO: Sir, you're going to have to move your travel trailer.
Rick: Yeah? How much is the ticket if I leave it here?

Ya, I was surprised that he let us go, he got us at 19 miles per over the speed limit...

Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for? Gimli Lord of the Rings
GS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote