ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,211
Mom...Apple Pie...and American Diners in NC

Being a former New Jerseyian...The topped ranked state for the number of Diners witin its borders...There was always a diner within a 5 mile radius of my home...within a 10 mile radius and the number jumped to 7... But down here I have not seen the classic Art Deco diner...They are here but thery are fewer in numbers and further apart...So whats special about a diner? Archetecture, Nostalgia,Neon Signs, 1950-1960s feel...certainly.... But its really about the food as well as anything else... A good diner will have a pretty extensive menu and they will always have daily specials. Wait service is plentiful and your coffee cup never runs dry A good Diner gives you excellent food and good portions that most times have you bringing it home...plus at a good price as well...
I have been missing a good diner experience and have not set foot in one for a good 5 years. Locally there is a restaurant that calls itself a NY Diner...to their credit the food itself is very much a diner experience but their atmosphere and bldg style do nothing to recreate a true American Diner...A "greasey spoon" if you will...a place with neon signs and glass block walls in front and that silver slipstream trailer look on the exterior...the kind of place that just grabs your attention and has you pulling in everytime...
So today I had my first true NC Diner experience and it was awesome. Since I am big on eating a good breakfast I headed 38 miles east of my home in Wendell NC to Rocky Mount NC...all boring slab roads but my vintage 1979 XS1100 will have its own breakfast eating up the miles easily and quickly on my way to the Highway Diner near the junction of I95 and US Hwy64. As I come within sight of the building I can see it has that classic american diner theme. I am excited to see and anticipate the food to be as good as the place looks....and I wasn't dissappointed either

STBNE screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 01:05 PM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

get out of my riding gear and go in...sign say to seat yourself so I find a nice window booth and set down. The interior has the real feel of a diner and theres some nostalgia decorating the walls...pictures old out of state license plates cool.....looking at the menu and it is a typical diner menu offering alot of choices and a variety of things to choose from. Since its 10 a.m. my intention is breakfast. The meal I choose is always one I have enjoyed in other diners so i use that to gauge how good or bad any particular diner may be....
I order a Western Omlette with swiss cheese,real home fries,wheat toast and bottomless coffee

STBNE screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 10:52 AM
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

And finally but not the least of which...my breakfast...these home fried potatoes are awesome...well done...the western omlette with swiss cheese and whole wheat toast with jam...was just delicious...The waitress was very sweet and she never let my coffee cup go dry...LOL

This is my first true Diner in NC and as such it earns a remarkable....
5 Greasy Spoons award!!!
My rating system is simple 5 Greasy Spoons = Excellent
1 Greasy spoon = awful
By all indications this will be an excellent choice for other meals as well...they offer good value in the quality of food...quantitiy and service to their customers. And that is what an excellent diner is all about. As I travel around the state and region I hope to find other fine Diners as well...I have a couple scoped out for future forays into gastronomical delights via two wheels....To be cont...

STBNE screwed with this post 08-03-2014 at 04:54 AM
Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
morgantm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
If you ever get up to Boone this is a great diner

http://www.troys105diner.com/

It used to be a weekly Saturday morning spot for us when we lived up there. Great food and atmosphere
morgantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Nice.... Now I have another reason to head to Boone... Places like these in NC make the distance between them well worth the foray......
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Liberty Diner

A couple yrs back NCStephen hosted a ride around the N.Wilkesboro area and we stopped for breakfast at a place called the Liberty Diner in Lewisville ...but the place just looked like a house restaurant no neon or block glass ... no art deco...they did have a Statue Of liberty in the front of the place... and the food was very good.

STBNE screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 02:33 PM
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
flyguync
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I'm familiar with the diner in Rocky Mount, right next door to the Harley dealer. I live about 6 miles west in Nashville.
2001 Honda XR650R (Sold)
flyguync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguync View Post
I'm familiar with the diner in Rocky Mount, right next door to the Harley dealer. I live about 6 miles west in Nashville.
Yes thats the place... right next to RM HD...
Old 07-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
flyguync
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
There's a Highway Diner in Clayton, right on highway 70, might be the same chain. Maybe we should start a tag-o-rama for diners/restaurants
2001 Honda XR650R (Sold)
flyguync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
There's a Highway Diner in Clayton, right on highway 70, might be the same chain. Maybe we should start a tag-o-rama for diners/restaurants
Hmm that might not last as long as you'd think i will look into this Hwy Diner in Clayton...they are not chains its prolly just a coincidence...however there are occaisions where more than one Diner is owned by the same family or group of owners...i have seen that in NJ...but they are never really chains like a Denny's or IHOP or Waffle House...those places are generic garbage...Like WB57 says about good and bad BBQ places...chains like Smithfields....
Well no Highway Diner but I did find a place called the Rockin Comet Diner in Clayton on Hwy 70...looks like I'll be heading there tomorrow...wow the interior is amazing... Thanks for the heads up ...from all of youse guys...yeah they say that in joisey too...

STBNE screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 04:25 PM
Old 07-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantm View Post

It used to be a weekly Saturday morning spot for us when we lived up there. Great food and atmosphere
I had this about a year ago when I was there. I still have dreams about it. Delicious
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantm View Post

I've been there with my son. I did like the place. It's been a couple of years or more, but I think I get the idea now, STBNE.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a tag game, per se, but something similar to the barbecue thread. I'd like to see reviews of these kinds of places.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, STBNE - what about this place?

http://www.gypsysshinydiner.com/

Old 08-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #15
STBNE OP
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
It doesn't have to be a tag game, per se, but something similar to the barbecue thread. I'd like to see reviews of these kinds of places.
That is my intention here....and by all means you all are welcome to add to this thread and give your evaluations of the places you eat at.