Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
SuzukiBking08 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
How to not let the rain ruin a planned trip?

I have ridden in the rain many times, don't mind it to much. But I am sure everyone has been in the same situation. Took off work for 3 days, everything is packed up and ready to go for a 1500 mile round trip to take a look at the weather to find out 50-60% chance of rain all three days.

I know all the obvious of riding gear, safety etc. I suppose I am just looking for some encouragement of how not to let something you cannot control ruin a trip.

Thanks for the kind words..
SuzukiBking08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Be willing to get lodging so you can warm up and dry your gear fully at the end of every day.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Be willing to get lodging so you can warm up and dry your gear fully at the end of every day.
Find a way to embrace it. Getting a nice hotel at the end of the day seems like a good way.

Maybe you can find some alternate roads that will get you around some of the storms, in the process you might discover interesting stuff.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
TM1(SS)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
find a way to embrace it. Getting a nice hotel at the end of the day seems like a good way.

Maybe you can find some alternate roads that will get you around some of the storms, in the process you might discover interesting stuff.
++++1
TM1(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,656
Remind yourself you could be home watching reruns of Seinfeld and doing laundry while it's raining
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
As said before, embrace it and keep a positive attitude. On my recent trip my friend and I rode 1700 miles just for the sake of riding through Lolo Pass and it rained the whole time. Many folks would have considered it a ruined trip, but we had fun laughing it off and every time we stopped we'd smile and chant "at least it's raining" Also, being willing to spring for a motel room occasionally to dry out is a good idea as well.

After all, it could be snowing... (which it did later in the trip)

Have fun and don't stress the rain....
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990149
Old 07-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 605
I actually enjoy riding in the rain. I don't really get wet with my gear and windshield, etc., and slow down some and enjoy the shiny wet world around me. Camping in the rain, not so much! One night setting up, cooking and sitting around and then breaking camp in the morning wet is ok, but after that, kind of a drag.... I find a cheap hotel with a hot shower (and maybe even a heated pool) a very satisfying solution.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiBking08 View Post
I have ridden in the rain many times, don't mind it to much. But I am sure everyone has been in the same situation. Took off work for 3 days, everything is packed up and ready to go for a 1500 mile round trip to take a look at the weather to find out 50-60% chance of rain all three days.

I know all the obvious of riding gear, safety etc. I suppose I am just looking for some encouragement of how not to let something you cannot control ruin a trip.

Thanks for the kind words..
Oh come on, you're talking 40-50% chance it won't rain. What's so bad about that?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
Find a way to embrace it. Getting a nice hotel at the end of the day seems like a good way.

All of this.

I LOVE to camp on trips. The experience of sitting around a campfire talking about the ride, catching up and solving the worlds problems can't be recreated anywhere.

However, riding all day in the rain coupled with setting up camp, sitting in your tent because you can't have a fire and taking down camp all in the rain sucks. Thankfully I have the meager means to rent a cheap motel and pay for a delivery pizza to prevent a ride from being 86'd in the end. It provides a good nights sleep and a chance to dry out gear before the next day of wetness.

I do a 2,500 mile, week long trip every year and just about every year we end up adjusting our route in some small way to dodge storms. It has actually become part of the fun. We find new places that way and interesting people that might have an open barn where you can wait out the thunderstorm for an hour and chat up the farmer.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
it's all about your mindset.

if you think "this sucks", then it will suck. on the other hand, if you just decide it's fun...then it will be fun.

revel in the fact that you are nuts enough to, just for fun, go for a 1,000+ mile motorcycle ride in the rain.

feel the rain drops hitting you, feel the water seeping in some seem that's not quite water tight and soaking you, feel the wind blowing you around...feel your adrenaline pumping and your body becoming more aware and steeling itself against the elements. really feel those things...and understand that what you are feeling is *alive*. it's a wonderful feeling. think about all the poor souls who never, or rarely, feel that.

revel in the fact that mother nature is throwing jabs at you, and you are taking them and coming back for more. you're earning her respect (she'll likely reward you with at least a few hours of rain-free weather)...and earning self-respect; real self-respect, not the everybody gets a trophy for showing up self-respect our society likes to give out these days.

oh...and sing billy joel's "you may be right" to yourself inside your helmet at the top of your lungs once in awhile, especially when it starts raining really hard...

i've been stranded in the combat zone
i walked through bedford-stuy alone
even rode my motorcycle in the rain
and you told me not to drive
but i made it home alive
so you said that only proves that i'm insane

you may be right
i may be crazy

have fun, man!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
My take:
1. Rain forecasts always seem worse before the trip than it actually turns out.
2. Keep your route and even destinations flexible if you can. You may be able to ride where the rain ain't.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
MauiCowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
My solution: Take several pairs of gloves.
MauiCowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiCowie View Post
My solution: Take several pairs of gloves.
And if it looks like it's going to rain buckets, top your tank, drain up and zip up before it starts and ride thru it
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,248
For me, riding in the rain is more of a small annoyance than anything. It's whats happening afterwards that can wear on me. Such as setting up a tent, cooking, having a fire etc. And I may still do this for a few nights, but I'll want to find dry shelter soon, to dry things out, hang any wet gear, get a nice shower and have a few stiff drinks.

if I can setup/takedown dry but be in rain during riding, thats fine. My gear will keep me dry.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
It keeps the dust down ?

Once had rain all day - riding the length of the Shenandoah valley, and you know, - those times it's BLASTING down really make you appreciate the times it's just drizzling.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote