Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Extra gloves is a great idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #17
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Yup, extra gloves and when you get to a hotel/motel most of them have a hair dryer in the room. Use that to assist in drying out the gloves and if that isn't possible, turn on the TV and place the gloves over the air vents on the TV. I do that at the office on the LCD monitors at my desk. Just got to remember to flip them over every so often.

Enjoy rain, embrace it..........slow down and have fun.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #18
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Extra gloves is a great idea.
+1 and get some boot gaiters (assuming your boots aren't waterproof) - they're dead cheap. I'd also consider some rubber over-gloves - super cheap, 100% waterproof.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #19
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,679
Put Rain-X on your faceshield, it really helps.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #20
cbrandon1010
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I picked up some angler gloves from cabelas that are meant to be submerged in water. They hold up great in the rain and provide great grip on the palms but they are not protective.. Good to throw on just to get you out of the storms though.

It also helps to have a riding partner.. My dad and I have been through a few rough storms and it was always nice to have him around to laugh about it after pushing through it or while waiting it out under shelter of a gas station or abandoned barn. Have a safe trip and enjoy it
cbrandon1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,239
I find riding in the rain to be quite peaceful as long as your core temps don't tank. Good rain gear is key. For gloves I ride with me regular gloves when temps are above 65 f or switch to snowmobile gloves when it is colder. Setting up camp in the rain just isn't fun. I second the notion of switching plans for lodging when on a trip. As much as I love roughing it, usually when I am out on a road trip it is because I have been able to squeeze off some vacation time. I would rather spend it relaxing when possible.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #22
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
I love a good ride in the rain. Of course, if you get soaked and start freezing, that's never any fun. And camping in the wet isn't great, either. And if it doesn't let up for days on end, it will start wearing on you for sure.

But I'd still rather be wet and miserable on a motorcycle or in a tent somewhere in the woods than dry and comfortable at work.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #23
D R
----

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiBking08 View Post
I have ridden in the rain many times, don't mind it to much. But I am sure everyone has been in the same situation. Took off work for 3 days, everything is packed up and ready to go for a 1500 mile round trip to take a look at the weather to find out 50-60% chance of rain all three days.

I know all the obvious of riding gear, safety etc. I suppose I am just looking for some encouragement of how not to let something you cannot control ruin a trip.

Thanks for the kind words..

You are looking at this all wrong. The weather forecast is telling you all three days have a 40-50% chance of no rain.

Start each day by looking at an hour by hour forecast for when it is most likely and least likely to rain for the day. Also, look at the weather radar and see what is in the area ( I use this... http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php ). If possible, use the information for when to ride, when to stop (if needed) and if your plans are flexible, where to ride.

The key is to be flexible, have proper gear and as others have stated, use lodging if and as needed.

(My co-workers always look at me strange when I ride my motorcycle to work on a day with a 100% forecast for thunderstorms. I end up repeating mysellf by telling them -- again -- it wasn't raining when I came in and the hour-by-hour forecast shows the thunderstorms will be out of the area two hours before heading home.)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Every time we have cancelled a planned trip due to the Weather Channel's gloom and doom, they have been wrong. Terrible thunderstorms, the NWS always predict 65 mph winds and golf ball size hail for any cloud, most have a short rain if any.
On the best trip I ever made, it rained 10 out of the first fourteen days. When it rained so hard, I couldn't see the scenery, I went elsewhere.
If there is an easy way to wait a day or two and still make the same trip, OK, but otherwise go for it. Hard rains seldom last long and all day rains for days on end are rare.
Go for it.
Bob who has never been accused of being smart.
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #25
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,032
As mentioned, mind set is a big factor. Hoteling it when needed is a plus as is good gear. I also don't do rigid trip plans/schedules. I hate breaking camp in the rain and stowing wet gear. I ended up buying a much bigger tent than needed just for sleeping. It's tall enough to stand in and has room for a chair or two to sit in. If it's pouring rain in the morning I like the option of just saying screw this, it's a day off I'll head out tomorrow. With enough room I can hang out warm and dry, and comfortably read a book whatever without having to spend the day laying on the sleeping bag. I try to make things comfortable. It helps. Guess I'm used to rain here in the PNW. Other than a couple of dry months it pretty much comes down to: if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride much. I'm not a hard core rider or outdoorsman by any means. I've just learned rain is part of the deal. I'd much rather deal with rain than 100*F temperatures. Now THAT'S miserable. Gimmie the rain any day.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #26
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Good points about being flexible for where you're headed. I've had occasions where the plan was to head north for a couple of days, seen the forecast and opted to head south or west instead for example.

As so many have said - if you can stay dry (or at least warm) it's not too bad. Besides, if you cancel and the forecast turns out wrong then you'll be pissed!

My tolerance for rain depends largely on the what and why of the ride.

If I'm off-road it keeps the dust down and makes the creek crossings more interesting! But it can also make some trails more of a challenge than I might be looking for...

If I'm riding open roads to get to a destination it matters not.

If the ride was supposed to be all about straffing twisties then I will change my plans.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #27
DEDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
We were going to ride this weekend too, probably up to the Finger Lakes area. The forecast has us opting out. Rain is one thing, thunderstorms are different. My wife doesn't really care for riding in the rain anyway, and happy wife=happy life.
DEDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,884
Think bigger

Think a little bigger. Zoom out on the weather radar and get a bigger picture. It can't rain everywhere, all the time. Change your destination. Watch the radar and punch through the rain line. You will have dry riding on the other side.

I rode from Anchorage to Seattle and it was only dry in...Seattle ;-) The trip was just funny like that. I was wet everywhere. Even pretty cold sometimes in the mountains when temps dipped to 32F. People talked to me probably more than they would have otherwise, I think. It was a good time.

Also, it keeps the bugs down.

A day riding in the rain beats any day working at my job, and I have a decent job!
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #29
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Keep a JetBoil in the pannier on trips where rain is forecast. It's always neat to stop under the shelter of old closed service stations and make some coffee or hot chocolate and watch the world go by for a bit.
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #30
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,174
I have a trip planned on the Blue Ridge Parkway in a couple of weeks from now.

I plan on getting wet, not saying that it always rains on the Parkway, but I have never been up there that I didn't get soaked.

It goes with the territory and I plan for it.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote