Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #31
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Every long trip I can recall taking has had heavy rain and sometimes for days on end. Just dress for it, have at least two pairs of waterproof gloves, plug in your electrics, polish your face screen, and avoid camping in it. If it gets too heavy, I just pull over and within 30 minutes the squal moves on and the drizzle lightens up enough to continue. Lots of good advice here, though. The main thing is to make your body comfortable in the conditions.

Pretty hard to go very far in the northern half of the continent without running into summer rain storms. Probably the deep south too, but I wouldn't know for sure.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #32
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
a) get a rain coat OVER the jacket, like a 3XL. DON`T count on those crap waterproof liners. They get you all wet and heavy and cold, and still aren`t waterproof after 1h. Same for the rain pants, 2XL over the pants. I presume you already have waterproof boots and gloves.

b) Alternately, you cant choose v
ery thin summer gloves that you don`t mind getting fully wet and maybe a bit cold yet are easy to remove and put on. Extra gloves... $urely i$ worth $ome tought$... but the thicker they are the wetter they get and harder to put on.

c) I wonder if tight surgeon latex gloves would be keeping my skin drier... I have to try that one day... For now, I warm and dry my hands on the engine with a dry cloth to not burn myself. feels great to have dry fingers inside dry gloves. Just never let any water in the glove; put the waterproof raincoat OVER the glove, and the glove over the jacket sleeve.

d) ride through. rain is long, showers are shorter. 50% rain mean showers in my book. You may ride through who knows.

e) ride in deep forest roads if any. the scene is dramatic, fog, and darkness. superb. stop and listen too. I will always remember the pensylvania sproul forest in the rain a monday morning, completely alone.

f) hey, you get to clean the bike a bit (well, if it was dirtier than what the rain makes it, that is). Nice to have no insects for a while too. And no heat exhaustion...

g) rain X, yes but check if you visor allows it. HJC no problem, I know that one.

h) pinlock, to avoid fogging visor.

i) if drive chain. oils 2x more often.

j) if it can still get hot (or leaky waterproof), consider undergarment like ldcomfort to keep the water away from skin.

Just writing about it make me want to ride in rain now...! No kidding.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #33
cmoore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I carry an umbrella velcro straped to a sidecase. Often there is no shelter when caught in a blinding downpour. I will find an appropriate spot to stop and pop the umbrella, sit on the bike and enjoy the downpour.
Copper Canyon, Arkansas' Ozarks & Ouachitas
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #34
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,999
I just completed my first big, long-term ride and rode through some heavy rain in Colorado. No biggy. I'll take that over Montana and Wyoming cross-winds any day. And by the time I got to North Texas and back to Texas heat, I was begging for a rainstorm.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #35
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
There was a time I made a plan and stuck with it no matter what. Riding in the rain, no big deal. Camping in the rain, not much fun. Camping in the rain with a wet dog who waits till he's inside the tent before shaking, sucks!

Now I ride no matter what, but if the suckage factor is high at the end of the day I get a hotel.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #36
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 363
A few years ago, my wife and I planned a week long ride around the Smokies. BRP, Deals Gap etc. I had a hard time getting off work but finally got a whole week. Guess what, it rained everyday ! We left home in the pouring rain, rode to Asheville in Rain / hot sun / rain etc. Next day we left the motel in the rain, went thru Deals Gap in the rain. Left the motel the next morning in the rain and headed home. Cut our trip short a few days but made memories that will last us a life time. I say go ahead and ride.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #37
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
I carry an umbrella velcro straped to a sidecase. Often there is no shelter when caught in a blinding downpour. I will find an appropriate spot to stop and pop the umbrella, sit on the bike and enjoy the downpour.
This is interesting.. and I will do this.
as I was at the Canadian/US border in a downpour, 1st gear at slower than walking pace. While I had a rain suit on, just sitting there for 2hrs and the rain started to find places to penatrate. A short time later at a ferry terminal and again being poured upon, I saw a guy with an umbrella ram mounted to his handlebars. He was completely untouched and the bike was dry from mid windshield to mid trunk.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!

Maggot12 screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 08:16 PM
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #38
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
I have a trip planned on the Blue Ridge Parkway in a couple of weeks from now.

I plan on getting wet, not saying that it always rains on the Parkway, but I have never been up there that I didn't get soaked.

It goes with the territory and I plan for it.

Wow, I've been on it a dozen times the last 3-4 months and never got rained on.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #39
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Wow, I've been on it a dozen times the last 3-4 months and never got rained on.

Be there 8-15 to 8-19 and bring your rain suit..

My buddy didn't do a good a good job of keeping his stuff dry.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #40
mattoid1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
"It keeps the bugs down"

Good rain gear is a must. The forecast often is off a bit, if needed' adjust the route to dodge violent storms. Or wait it out over coffee and pie.
On a nine day trip last year it rained six of them, if we had not been chased by a storm we would not have stopped at East Glacier Lodge, great place. As someone said, embrace it.
mattoid1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #41
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,292
WTF, Even if it rains, it's still gotta be better than going to work!
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #42
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I just relax and roll with it. The rain is just another part of the adventure. You can occasionally detour around the heavy stuff, and it doesn't always rain when they forecast it will. Of course, it isn't always dry when they predict that, either.

Plus, rain is the only way my bike ever gets washed.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #43
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
Wool socks
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #44
rick danger
Off the wagon

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
it's all about your mindset.

if you think "this sucks", then it will suck. on the other hand, if you just decide it's fun...then it will be fun.
I'm gonna try that when I'm having my heart valve replaced....Mind over scalpel.

rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #45
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
This happened to 3, then four, of us on two different scheduled trips back when I lined in Pennsylvania.

The morning of it was apparent that the south-eastern USA - our intended goal - was covered in rain. Like, the entirety of it... BOTH times. And it wasn't going away fast. Both times we had a meeting early in the morning we were to leave, and both times we unexpectedly ended up in Canada within 24 hours.

Plan a motorcycle trip - yes.

Plan the direction? No. Just plan for a trip, and take the driest route.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote